AFLW #10 - Jacqui Vogt

Also making the move from Moorabbin to the NEC Hangar is Vogt, who played 17 games since making her debut for St Kilda in round one of the 2021 season.

Over her two seasons at AFLW level, Vogt’s football smarts, aerial ability and versatility have made her a key target in the Saints’ forward line and midfield.

Originally a defender for Melbourne Victory in the W-League, Vogt transitioned to footy when she joined the Southern Saints for their first VFLW season before being drafted by the Saints’ AFLW team.

3 Likes

Is Vogt pronounced like Voight?

1 Like

Vogt, Borg and Van de Heuval

Feels like we’re putting together a cycling team.

5 Likes

Ha, do we need any defenders?

3 Likes

Since she was a kid kicking the round ball in her backyard in Traralgon, St Kilda forward Jacqui Vogt had always dreamt of playing for the Matildas.

An aspiring defender, Vogt looked up to players like former Matildas goalkeeper Melissa Barbieri, as she started to make her way through the junior football pathways.

Vogt was selected in Victorian representative teams, played for the Melbourne Victory in the W-League and attended young Matildas training camps.

But in 2012, her dreams were struck down.

Not long after she had been invited to attend the national team camps, Vogt ruptured her anterior cruciate ligament, which was to ultimately spell the end of her soccer career.

St Kilda AFLW footballer Jacqui Vogt always dreamt of playing for the Matildas. Picture: Michael Klein/NCA
St Kilda AFLW footballer Jacqui Vogt always dreamt of playing for the Matildas. Picture: Michael Klein/NCA

After a year of rehab, Vogt was unable to make the Melbourne Victory squad again.

A year in the second tier National Premier Leagues followed, before Vogt decided to take a year off to focus on her podiatry studies.

Vogt feared her hopes of playing elite sport were all but over.

“I probably thought my time was up and I had to move on,” Vogt, 27, said.

“But I wasn’t ready to move on, I was still young and I had always dreamt of being elite and playing elite sport.

“From a young age, I had always wanted to play for the Matildas. That was definitely my aspiration to play for them and even just to make a camp with the young Matildas was an amazing feeling.

“I did think that my time was up and I needed to do something at the community level but, for me, I just can’t do anything at that level.

“I need to try and be the best that I can be so I always want to push the barriers.”

Then the unexpected sporting career shift happened.

A St Kilda supporter growing up, Vogt noticed an advertisement for a VFL trial day for the club in 2017 and decided to give it a go.

“I always loved footy and thought it was amazing but there was no real pathway for females at that time when I was growing up and I was picking what I wanted to do,” Vogt said.

“So I had seen the AFL set up and thought it would be an amazing opportunity and thought that I could take some of what I had learned in soccer over to footy.”

Vogt hasn’t looked back – even if her transition to playing Aussie rules initially presented a bumpy road.

Vogt in action for the Southern Saints in the VFL. Picture: Michael Dodge/AAP
Vogt in action for the Southern Saints in the VFL. Picture: Michael Dodge/AAP

After making the VFL training squad, Vogt was hit with another injury setback when she hurt her meniscus and needed surgery.

She returned playing local footy and worked hard to get herself fit for the 2019 VFL season with the Southern Saints but missed seven games that year after a nasty concussion.

Knowing the Saints would be entering the AFLW, Vogt kept at it with an eye to being drafted or elevated.

Vogt missed out that year but was invited to join the club as a train-on player for its inaugural season as Covid hit and wiped out the VFL year. She would finally get her chance to join the AFLW list after being drafted ahead of 2021.

Vogt missed just the one game in her debut season and, after spending all her time trying to stop goals as a defender in soccer, she is now relishing her new role as a forward.

“I was a centre-back and now I’m playing in the forward line for the Saints, so it’s definitely different,” Vogt said.

“But I think being able to read the game as a defender really helps as a forward. You know as a defender what you don’t like forwards to do so you try and do that as a forward.

“I obviously still have to learn a few things like running patterns and things like that but I feel like soccer has given me some really good concepts and things that I can take into footy.”

Vogt played for Melbourne Victory as a defender before her ACL injury. Picture: Michael Klein/NCA
Vogt played for Melbourne Victory as a defender before her ACL injury. Picture: Michael Klein/NCA

Now she’s kicking goals as a forward in the AFLW. Picture: Michael Klein/NCA
Now she’s kicking goals as a forward in the AFLW. Picture: Michael Klein/NCA

Despite her late start in footy, and injury setbacks, Vogt, who has recovered from off-season surgery on her ankle, is confident she still has plenty of time to carve out an AFLW career.

“Ideally I would have liked to have been younger, but I still think I have got some good footy in me,” said Vogt, who helps manage her parent’s hotel in Traralgon.

“I’ve had a few injury setbacks, there is no doubt about that with the knees and the recent surgery during the off-season for a fractured medial malleolus in my ankle, which I played all last AFL season with.

“But I always hold myself to high standards in terms of recovery which can hold you in good stead for longevity with your body.

“I think even though I’m 27 I still feel like I’ve got really good footy in me to come that’s for sure.

“I’m really glad that I went down to that trial day.”

Some clever Richard recently said Vogt was needed down back.

I do note re: a below claim that I sooked greatly about Marshall being removed from the forward line after the second VFLW practice match.

By Alex Catalano (@acat493) - The Inner Sanctum

After 17 games predominantly as a forward for St Kilda, Jacqui Vogt looks set to have a bigger influence at Essendon as a defender.

Playing a role behind the ball in Essendon’s practice match against Port Adelaide, her influence was undeniable. Vogt used her height and natural athleticism to out-mark the Power forwards and begin rebounding plays for her side.

It seems to play more closely to her strengths and smarts as a player. Originally a football (soccer) player, even playing with Melbourne Victory in the A-League Women, she played in the back third at the highest level in Australia.

Vogt would primarily line up in St Kilda’s forward line, but often failed to make an offensive impact. She kicked just four goals in her time there, with only one last season.

Jacqui Vogt in her playing days with the Saints. (Photo: AFL Photos)

This new role not only holds the possibility of unlocking Vogt’s potential as a player, but also supports her teammates and the defence’s needs.

Ellyse Gamble is set to miss the early part of the season as she continues to recover from ankle surgery. Recruited from the Western Bulldogs and standing at 180cm, she was set to be Essendon’s primary key defender after an injury interrupted season.

Even healthy, Gamble only has 24 games of AFLW experience under her belt. She missed every game in 2018, and played just three games in 2019 and 2022 respectively.

Dani Marshall, similarly, has only played a defensive role at VFLW level. She spent most of her time at the Bulldogs playing either in the forward line or chopping out in the ruck.

Vogt’s strength and aerial ability could see her able to take on one-on-one match-ups with the competition’s best forwards.

The combination of herself and Marshall against Sarah Perkins and Tegan Cunningham, Darcy Vescio and Phoebe McWilliams, and Aimee Schmidt and Kate Bartlett will be a crucial one to get right.

Having another older and wiser head in defence gives coach Nat Wood the ability to rotate the promising youngsters through the backline without too much pressure on their shoulders.

Stephanie Wales and Mia Van Dyke both showed great potential to play strong marking roles behind the ball in Saturday’s practice game.

Wales will be required to rotate through the ruck alongside Jorja Borg, but looks best suited to resting in defence rather than as a deep forward.

Van Dyke, similarly, was touted as a junior for her ability to play key roles in any area of the ground. She was at her best in defence against Port Adelaide though, even matching up on Gemma Houghton at times.

A player like Olivia Barton also won’t be burdened with taking on a powerful marking forward. Her best attribute is her versatility in defensive roles, and having Vogt frees her up to play in whatever way is required of her.

Basically this week’s “The Good and The Mad” podcast.

by Freya O’Donnell

It’s hard to imagine AFLW gun Jacqui Vogt being anything but a footballer.

Out on the field, Vogt is an experienced utility who’s been one of the Bombers’ most reliable players in the side’s inaugural year.

Ahead of her 25th AFLW game this weekend, Vogt’s versatility, presence and leadership in such a young side gives all the indications of someone who’s been practicing and perfecting football over an extended period of time.

Which is why it’s remarkable that all of this comes despite Vogt only first playing the game five years ago.

The 28-year-old hails from a soccer background, with the love of the round ball game incepted from a very early age.

“I grew up playing soccer, being of a European background, soccer was pretty strong throughout the family,” Vogt told Bonnie T & Maddy P podcast.

Vogt grew up in Gippsland, where she followed in her grandfather and brother’s footsteps and began kicking the soccer ball as soon as she could walk.

Despite a love for St Kilda and for AFL, no junior girls football talent pathways meant soccer was the only sport to play.

Commencing her soccer journey for Traralgon City, Vogt quickly found her passion and played for an all-girls team in the boys competition at Churchill where her natural talent shone through.

“I went through the junior pathways. I started representing Gippsland after Churchill and captained the team during my junior years,” Vogt said.

“From Gippsland, I then played for Victoria and went to the nationals which is where I got identified for the National Training Centre (NTC), which is equivalent to the VIS program.”

Vogt (back right) during her junior soccer days.

During high school, Vogt’s priorities and passion grew to pursuing a soccer career.

From year nine onwards, she would spend five days a week in Melbourne commuting from Traralgon.

Vogt was determined to become professional.

“I would get up and catch a bus at 7:30am in the morning to go to school in Warragul, then my dad would pick me up after school at 3:30pm and we’d go to Melbourne, then I would train and get home at 11pm, and then do it all again the next day.”

Even before she was 18 years old, Vogt had landed her dream job – a professional contract at W-League side Melbourne Victory.

“I’m super competitive and always want to get to the highest level of any sport.”

From there, her sights were set on reaching international level, and her pathway into that became clear after attending the Young Matilda (Australian Women’s soccer side) camps.

“All of the current Matildas now, I went to the Young Matildas camp with them,” Vogt said.

Sadly, Vogt’s elite soccer career would end just before it was about to take off.

“Unfortunately, when I was 18, I did my ACL at Melbourne Victory training,” Vogt said.

“I rehabbed on my own that year and got myself back but didn’t get a Melbourne Victory contract again.”

With her soccer dreams over, the lifelong St Kilda supporter would soon begin a new chapter of her sporting chapter.

Vogt in her VFLW playing days with the Southern Saints. (Photo: AFL Photos)

After attending the first ever AFLW game in 2017, Vogt had found her next goal.

“I’m super competitive and always want to get to the highest level of any sport,” Vogt said.

“I had always loved footy, but growing up there was no real pathway, so I didn’t take it up as a kid because I wanted to get to a really high level in sport, and there was nothing for footy at that time.”

Since finishing her soccer career, AFLW was on the rise, and Vogt could finally achieve her goals of playing at the highest level of any sport she’d participated in.

However, once again Vogt was struck with injury woes, tearing her meniscus in her first year signed with the Southern Saints, missing the entire season.

“It wasn’t until 2019 that I finally started to get into the thick of it,” Vogt said.

After starring for two years in the VFLW, Vogt’s professional dreams were realised again as she was promoted to the Saints’ AFLW list in 2021.

After two seasons and 17 games with St Kilda, Vogt made the move across to the NEC Hangar with fellow teammate Cat Phillips.

In her first year at Essendon, Vogt has only missed one game due to suspension and has been a vital member of the team.

“The move has been really good for me, a really good change. We’ve got a good bunch of girls here that have made it easier to transition,” Vogt said.

“I was pretty nervous to make the transition, it’s never easy to move clubs from somewhere you feel comfortable, but I’ve really embraced being outside of my comfort zone and I’ve just really tried to own that. It’s been amazing for me, I love it and I couldn’t speak more highly of the club.”

2 Likes

Jacqui Vogt will be a special guest on WARF Radio’s pre-game coverage of the Bombers v Eagles on Sunday (via the AFL website and apps).

We’ll be interviewing Jacqui at 4:35pm AEDT.

If you have any questions you’d like us to ask Jacqui, please post them here and I’ll try my best to ask them all.

3 Likes

Last call if you have any questions for our interview with Jacqui Vogt at 4:35pm today.

1 Like