AFLW #8 - Bonnie Toogood - thru to 2027

Yeah it worked for this

Didn’t work because they pulled it. Let’s see where AFLW is in 5 years.

EDIT: And back to your original point, getting something up and running is not an achievement, success is the achievement.

Bonnie is a former neighbour of mine - always loved the Dons. Knew she’d see the light as soon as we had an AFLW team. Great get!

5 Likes

It’s funny when it happens to someone else.

seriously what did all the foundation clubs expect? its goign to take womens footy another decade at least to have the talent for the # of teams and list sizes, did they just expect to keep all their talent?

■■■■■■■ mouthbreathers.

They pulled it because it didn’t work, more like it.

1 Like

Great news. She sounds like a Toast of London character.

1 Like

What are the rules on us signing players? How many can we just poach from other teams?

The AFL will publish the rules and interpretations after it’s all done.

1 Like

But, from an AFL article today: “Due to Morphett being drafted last year, it’s expected that Sydney will have to negotiate a trade with its crosstown rivals – rather than sign her as a free agent – in order to complete the deal.”

1 Like

If it’s any compensation, they got to keep Dunkley!

Some highlights:

I wish I was called Bonnie Toogood

1 Like

Stoked. From what I have seen she is deadly in front of Goals.

Celie Hay is back? Yay!

Lifelong Bombers supporter Bonnie Toogood explains her move to Essendon.

By Celie Hay - 1 hr ago

Star AFLW signing Bonnie Toogood is realising a childhood dream to play for Essendon.

A lifelong Bombers supporter, Bonnie Toogood always aspired to be the first female to play in Essendon’s men’s team, but now she will make history by lining up in the inaugural women’s team.

Moving across from the Western Bulldogs, Toogood was one of the first players to commit to the Bombers ahead of their induction into the AFLW, and admits it’s surreal to say she plays for the club she’s supported her entire life.

“It’s a bit of a ‘pinch yourself’ moment if I’m honest. Growing up, I always thought I’d be the first girl to play with the boys and always dreamt that it would be in the Bombers’ colours, but for it to actually be a reality is a pretty surreal moment for me,” Toogood said.

"I’ve had so many moments over the past few weeks where I’m just being like, ‘Wow, is this really happening?’.

“So I’m really excited about it and to be a part of the first women’s team for the Essendon Football Club, that is a factor that I’m going to hold really close to my heart as well.”

Toogood, 24, joins the Bombers with a wealth of experience and an impressive football resume, including an AFLW premiership, Rising Star nomination, leading goalkicker award for the Bulldogs and inclusion in the initial 2022 AFLW All-Australian squad.

2022 was a career-best season for the exciting forward, with Toogood kicking 10 goals, averaging 3.5 marks and 3.7 score involvements.

Bonnie Toogood will be a threat inside the Bombers’ attacking 50. (Photo: AFL Photos)

After meeting with the Bombers, Toogood said she was amazed by the women’s program Essendon was building and the resources it had invested in for its AFLW program.

“What’s really exciting with the conversations I’ve had with Natalie (AFLW head coach Natalie Wood), Georgia (AFLW player contract manager Georgia Harvey) and Josh (general manager of football Josh Mahoney) is that everyone seems so committed to the AFL Women’s program,” Toogood said.

"We’re investing in resources, such as full-time coaches and support staff, to ensure we can come into this league raring to go, and developing a culture and team that is pushing for finals.

“Hearing a bit more about the club and how they operate, the environment, especially the culture at the club and then being a part of the culture that we’re going to build into the women’s program, all those factors became really intriguing to me and I’m really excited.”

1 Like

6 Likes

Footscray B&F

102 votes: Ellie Blackburn and Kirsty Lamb
61 votes: Eleanor Brown
> 57 votes: Bonnie Toogood
45 votes: Elisabeth Georgostathis
37 votes: Katie Lynch
32 votes: Celine Moody
29 votes: Naomi Ferres
26 votes: Jess Fitzgerald
25 votes: Issy Grant