AFLW #8 - Bonnie Toogood - thru to 2027

22/07/2022 by @acat493 – more from him here

Bonnie Toogood poses for a photo with Essendon men’s captain Dyson Heppell. (Photo: Essendon FCW)

Essendon AFLW recruit Bonnie Toogood is enjoying the opportunity to build a new environment and culture at Tullamarine.

Recruited from the Western Bulldogs to be a part of the Bombers’ inaugural side, herself and her teammates are aspiring to build ‘authentic and genuine’ connections as quickly as possible.

With their first game just five weeks away, there’s little time to waste.

Pre-season has been a rewarding one so far, she said. Part of the challenge for the Bombers will be uniting players from their VFLW program, other AFLW clubs, as well as players new to the AFLW entirely.

“It’s been a really fun experience getting to meet a whole group of 30 new players as well as a bunch of staff that I’ve never met,” Toogood told The Inner Sanctum on Thursday.

“It’s bringing all different people together. Moving in the one direction has been the challenge but it’s been a good one.

“[It’s] something that I’ve been sinking my teeth into and making sure we’re setting the foundation we want to moving forward.”

Now an experienced AFLW player with 37 games under her belt, Toogood has an important role to play as a developing leader in the club.

Alongside the likes of Cat Phillips (44 games), Steph Cain (44 games), Georgia Gee (40 games) and Maddy Prespakis (34 games), she’ll be responsible for setting standards within the young group.

A strong personality heavily involved in media and having been a part of the leadership group at the Bulldogs, Toogood would be an easy candidate as the club’s inaugural skipper.

Her leadership is something that she’s continuing to work on as she grows as a player.

“I aspire to be a leader in all aspects of my life. If I can play a role in setting the foundation for a brand new club, I will,” Toogood said.

“That’s really my driving focus at the moment, because we’ve got to technically catch up to all the established clubs.

“Just being a leader in all aspects of life, I just want to be the best person I can be and make sure I’m helping all the people around me to be the best versions of themselves as well.”

Impressing on the track

Since the squad of 30 was completed at the end of June, the players have been working hard to make their Round 1 case to coach Nat Wood.

With a solid mix of experienced talent and bright youngsters, there’s bound to be a fierce level of competitiveness within the walls of Tullamarine.

The Bombers, as an expansion club, had a strong draft hand to work with. They made seven selections, bringing in players across all areas of the ground.

Toogood has been particularly impressed by one of her likely forward line partners.

“Our draftees have all been impressive, all good sized bodies,” Toogood said.

“Amber Clarke, who was our first pick, she’s an absolute weapon when it comes to her speed and her goal sense. She’s really impressed me within these past two weeks.”

As expected by most, Essendon looked heavily to its premiership VFLW squad, recruiting 10 players from the state league side.

Players like Joanne Doonan, Dani Marshall and Jordan Zanchetta were given another chance at the top level, while others like Amelia Radford and Renee Tierney made their names known with breakout seasons.

The endeavour that the girls making the step up have shown has matched even the proven best on the list.

“When it comes to our crossover girls I’ve really enjoyed watching Eloise [Ashley-Cooper], we call her ‘Coops’. She’s been really impressive… committed to the club and play your role kind of person,” Toogood said.

“I’ve really enjoyed having conversations with her and getting to know more about the club, she’s been really impressive from that aspect as well.

“The list goes on, you’ve got Georgia Gee, Maddy Prespakis, Soph Alexander, Steph Cain who came from Freo, there’s so many excitement machines… everyone’s kind of impressed me.”

Essendon will take to the field for its first AFLW match on Saturday, August 27 against Hawthorn at North Port Oval.

4 Likes

by Gabrielle Keegan 27.07.2022

For lifelong Essendon supporter, Bonnie Toogood, the opportunity to pull on the guernsey of the club she had followed for 24 years was merely the cherry on top of an opportunity she couldn’t refuse.

Drafted by the Western Bulldogs with their second selection and eleventh overall in the 2017 Rookie Draft, Toogood played 37 games and kicked 19 goals in an impressive stint, which included a premiership in 2018, the Players’ Player Award in 2021 and the club’s leading goal-kicker in 2022.

Season six was arguably her best, averaging 3.5 marks, 3.7 score involvements and booting 10 goals.

With plenty of memories, leaving Whitten Oval – the place she called home for five years – wasn’t a decision she took lightly.

“It took a bit of time. A few things opened up and I had to actually make a decision and really weigh up my options,” Toogood explained to aflplayers.com.au.

A move wasn’t initially on Toogood’s mind, giving all her focus to the Dogs, but the fan in her did sit up and take notice when the Bombers were named among the final group of AFLW expansion sides.

“It’s so exciting for the fanbase to finally have a team to support in the AFLW,” she said.

“You hear so many stories of people that haven’t had a W team to follow, so they support other clubs just for the women. It’s an exciting moment, not just for myself as an Essendon fan, but the wider community of the football club.”

While playing for the Bombers is undoubtedly a dream come true, the lure of the red and black extended far beyond her childhood connection to the club.

“The aspect of me barracking for Essendon was just the cherry on top, it wasn’t a huge factor in my decision-making,” she said.

“Other things aligned for me and at the end of the day it was this gut feeling that I couldn’t resist. I backed myself in and took the opportunity that presented itself.”

What impressed Toogood most about the Bombers was the resourcing poured into the women’s program, and a head coach she knew was more than up to the task.

“They’ve taken a great step forward with the resources that they’ve put into the program to make sure that we can be as successful as possible from the get-go,” Toogood said.

“I also have a great relationship with (Essendon AFLW coach) Nat Wood, who coached at the Doggies.

“When I heard that she got the head coach role I was super excited for her and thought that she was really going to excel at the role.

“When the opportunity to be coached by her arose, it intrigued me because we’ve only really scratched the surface of what she can do with a football team.”

Toogood continues to be impressed the longer she spends at The Hangar, as she adjusts to pre-season preparations like she’s never experienced before.

“It’s been a fair bit of management for the staff, making sure everyone’s training loads are right, but we’ve managed.”

With the draft now complete and the club’s VFLW side concluding their premiership-winning campaign, focus shifts to the pending AFLW season.

Starting from the ground up, crafting club culture has been high on Toogood’s priority list.

“We’ve all come from different clubs before, either AFLW or VFLW, and we can set the standard of what our club culture means from the get-go,” she said.

“That probably factored into my decision-making as well – being the first group of women to represent the club at AFLW level.”

That responsibility isn’t lost on Toogood, who is honoured to be part of a club steeped in history.

“We got the opportunity to attend the 150th gala which was amazing to be a part of in the sense of understanding the club that we are now a part of and that rich history of success.

“We have to carry the legacy and the honour of the guernsey – that’s something that’s really important and something that Essendon speak about a lot as a club, the honour of putting on the sash.”

And while there’s plenty to learn from a club that’s been around for 150 years, there’s long been a piece of the puzzle that has been missing.

“We have things that the men’s program can learn from us and there are things we can learn from them – everyone is along for the journey.

“I think when a footy club has a women’s team it makes it whole.”

3 Likes

STAR Essendon recruit Bonnie Toogood has been enjoying the extra responsibility that comes with being an established player in a brand new AFLW team.

Toogood was an inexperienced rookie – relatively new to football – when she joined the Western Bulldogs ahead of the 2018 season, much more comfortable on the netball court than the football field.

Steph Cain and Cat Phillips (44 games) are Essendon’s most experienced players, but Toogood isn’t far behind with 37 matches under her belt.

AFLW FIXTURE Who does your team play in season seven?

“It’s been a challenge, I guess at the Dogs I had the likes of Ellie (Blackburn) and ‘Lamby’ (Kirsty Lamb) I could go to if I had questions,” Toogood told womens.afl .

Ellie Blackburn and Bonnie Toogood celebrate during the Western Bulldogs’ clash with St Kilda in round one, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

"Whereas this time around, I’ve had to go on the fly a bit more and trust and back myself in if I have an idea or something.

“It’s been a different challenge in that space, but this will be my sixth season in the competition, so I guess that classifies me as an older player. So I’m just trying to bring the experience I have to those who haven’t yet witnessed this level of competition, and trying to fast-track connections as fast as I can.”

For the 24-year-old Toogood, social skills are key to helping form Essendon’s AFLW culture.

“A lot of what I like to do is I like to get to know my teammates, that’s the most important thing,” she said.

YOUR CLUB’S LIST Every team locked in for AFLW season seven

"Particularly in an expansion side, there are people I know only a little about or have never met. So for me, it’s about getting around everyone, getting to know more about themselves off the field as well as how they like to function on the field and what their goals are and how I can play a part in helping them achieve that.

“At the end of the day, I want to be the best I can be, so I can help them support everyone else to be that themselves.”

The key forward looks set to spearhead Essendon’s attack, playing alongside the likes of Daria Bannister, Georgia Gee, Sophie Alexander, Jess Wuetschner and dynamic top-10 draftees Amber Clarke and Paige Scott.

Georgia Gee poses for a photo during Essendon’s team photo day on August 8, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos

“My gut was screaming this was the right decision (to move to Essendon),” Toogood said.

"Natalie Wood, who was the midfield coach for the Bulldogs in the past two years, is now the head coach at Essendon, and I really liked how she went about her assistant coaching, and I thought in a head coaching role she’d really thrive. That was a big one for me, and I think she’ll really help with my football development.

"Also just where I was in my career, the prospect of being part of an inaugural team, being really crucial in building the culture we want to set, the standards we want to live by, I love that stuff. I love getting in the thick of how teams work, how we get the best out of each other, and that was a great opportunity in front of me.

“They were a few factors, and I was an Essendon supporter growing up, still am an Essendon supporter, so it was a cherry on top to come back and actually live out a childhood dream and don the sash.”

4 Likes

ANNOUNCE captaincy already.

Only thing I know about the ladies team is they all have sick surnames.

there’s too many articles coming out lately for it to not be her right?

3 Likes

Yeah, I think so too

1 Like
4 Likes
8 Likes

Bonnie was incredible last night. Was everything you’d want from a Bombers leader.

The penetration on her kicking is something we haven’t seen from a Bombers skipper in some time.

I’m genuinely surprised how emotionally attached I was to the game and the joy the win gave me & my family. I’m definitely a convert and the club can thank the women who continued to put in effort even when things weren’t going their way.

The AFLW should put on lots of double headers at Marvel.

My wife loved how quickly the game went as it just doesn’t drag on.

9 Likes
5 Likes

Lack of posts for our second-best player.

4 Likes

Started the season well with two classy performances. Best on ground last week and amongst the best again today with 8 marks and a goal.

1 Like

3 Likes

Plays like a traditional CHF - Strong mark, mobile, leads up to the ball carrier, good beneath her knees, strong in the contest, can find space and time with the ball and an excellent kick.

3 Likes

For context, The Langford averaged 13.6 disposals, 5.6 marks, and 2.2 goals.

I can understand arguments that Bonnie would dominate the midfield and backline, though.

The best forwards in the AFLM average less than 7 marks a game.

No one* in the AFLM matches Bonnie’s 3 contested marks per game.

(And the men have >40% more time to pad those stats.)

*there could be someone, but if so they played few enough games to avoid being in the top group of players

7 Likes