AFLW - round 1 vs Hawks @ Docklands, 7:10pm Saturday 27 August 2022

i have a table booked at Platform 28 from 5pm if anyone wants to come say hi :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Need someone to get onto google so I can ask for schedules using their speakers. Only works for mens side.

Count me in!

3 Likes

I’m in! @theDJR can laugh at me again when I get asked for ID.

1 Like

Also, I will remember who is @AngryAussie and who is not. Oops.

1 Like

In case you were smart enough to skip the AFLM game…

So do we sit anywhere at marvel. Really want to be as close to the cheer squad as possible

Yes, all un-reserved (except Medallion toffs, presumably).

Waiting to see how many tickets have been sold, and hence what levels are opened.

1 Like

Hmmm. Not many thousands extra sold?

Club email says “All AFLW games are General Admission, so for Round 1, all you will need to do is scan into the ground via any gate and sit in any available seat on Level 1.

Oh wait, later in that email it also says “pay (lots) to join the toffs on level 2”.

Dunno if I want a DJ, but there’s lot’s happening there.

AFLW ROUND 1

Essendon v Hawthorn
7:20pm AEST, Saturday, August 27
Marvel Stadium

Broadcast

This historic clash will be broadcast live and free on Seven Mate and Seven Mate HD from 7:00pm and also available on Fox Footy.

Tickets

If you are yet to secure your spot for this moment in EFC history, adult tickets are available for just $10, while under-18s can come along absolutely free. Grab your tickets here.

Entertainment

• Make sure you are in your seat at 6:45pm to catch WILSN. Possessing the kind of voice that stops you in your tracks, WILSN makes classic soul music with a contemporary approach and a healthy dose of raw power.
  • DJ Yo Mafia will be spinning the decks throughout the game.

Partners and Activations

• Our inaugural AFLW game is proudly presented by our game day partner Fujitsu General Australia.
  • You can get snags in and outside the ground, with a sausage sizzle supporting Boots for All outside Gate 7 from 5:30pm.
  • Gate 7 is the place to be pre-game with a swathe of activities and giveaways, including:
    • Measure up – see how you stack up against some of the biggest names in the AFLW.
    • Take your support to the next level with red and black hair braiding and face painting .
    • Tackle your friends in the Gate 7 Games Zone , with activities such as, giant Jenga, connect four and handball targets.
  • Fujitsu will be giving away 10x comfort packs to the first 10 AFLW Members who come to the Victory room pre-game.
  • Test your knowledge with Fujitsu’s Who Am I? at three quarter time. Enter here for your chance to play.
  • Macca’s Kick 2 Kick will be back post game on Saturday night. Make sure you bring or grab yourself a footy at the game to take part!
  • Cool people will be at Platform 28 from 5pm.

Food and Beverage Specials

• There is something for the whole family on Saturday night with a whole host of food specials across the stadium:
    • Chip Butty
    • Apple Pie and Churros Carts
    • High 5 – Special $5 items available for quick consumption
    • Popcorn Chicken & Chips and Cheeseburgers
    • Nachos and Pizza
    • Mulled wine and Soup Carts

Membership

• Your Mobile Membership via the Essendon App is your ticket to the game. All the information you need to access your Mobile Membership can be found here.
  • Members who have redeemed a ticket via Ticketmaster using their membership must use their Ticketmaster issued ticket to enter the venue.
  • Our Member Services team will be located in the club hub outside gates 1,2,3 and gate 7 from 5:30pm.
  • All access for this game is general admission, so once inside the stadium grab your seat anywhere on Level 1.
  • The Victory Room will be open to all Essendon members throughout the game, so drop in to enter the raffle to win an AFLW footy signed by our co-captains. Plus, get there before the game for your chance to see the Premiership Cup, with special appearances from Skeeta and Sky! The raffle will be drawn at half-time, so make sure you are in the room to win. Show your AFL or AFLW mobile membership card, physical member card or 150-year medallion to enter the room.

Merchandise

• Get your hands on all the latest AFLW merchandise inside Gates 7 and 8. Essendon members receive 10% off!

Getting to the game

• Marvel Stadium are offering a special deal on parking for this historic occasion. You can book your spot underground for just $10 here.
  • Public transport options can be found here.
2 Likes

Opposition captain (she was one of the few good players vs Richmond in the final practice match):

by Alyce Collett

NEW Hawthorn skipper Tilly Lucas-Rodd finds herself at her third AFLW club, but also finds herself on a club’s inaugural list for the third time.

“It’s interesting, I have a three year tenure at clubs it seems, three years at Carlton and three years at Saints” she says with a laugh.

“I think the first ever list at Carlton I think all clubs were just trying to find their feet and figure how to run a women’s program and run two programs at the same time and things like that, so I think the whole industry has come a long way and each club has come a long way since then. But I think it’s always that excitement, I felt that at Saints, the girls come in and they’re all willing to learn and get better.

“I think the Hawks are doing a really good job, I think the big thing they do really well is integration within the whole of club. From the start we had Sam Mitchell , but he didn’t make a big deal, he just came to training and was just out on the ground with us.

“I remember running through the midfield in match sim and he just pulled me aside for some pointers and things like that, I guess just those organic ways of connecting I think Hawks are doing a really good job with.”

She is really enjoying her time at the Hawks thus far.

“I think we’re really building a good culture, we’ve got a great mix of young girls that are really excited and willing to learn, they are super talent footballers, and we’ve got some older girls, some that I’ve played with before like Lou [Stephenson] back in juniors and Akec [Makur Chuot] and Tam [Luke], so there’s lots of older talent, and I think the mix is really good. It’s building a culture where people are wanting to learn, and we’re always wanting to get better, and I’m really enjoying it.”

Lucas-Rodd is full of praise for her new coach Bec Goddard .

“Bec’s great. I think she’s a unique character, she has some great stories, but she’s a great person but also got a great football brain, I’ve learnt a lot already. She knows what she’s talking about when it comes to women’s football, so that’s really exciting and I think you’ll see that in our game plan for years to come.”

As much as she enjoyed the honour of playing on the G for the club’s inaugural practise match against Richmond two weeks ago, Lucas-Rodd was clear on where things had gone wrong for her side in the game. She said that “we probably didn’t compete for four quarters” and that they were missing the ferociousness they want to be known for in that first quarter.

They also haven’t set a pass mark for themselves this season, with Lucas-Rodd noting that they don’t want to put too much pressure on themselves because they are a brand new side.

So, I see this in the membership email…

I think, ah, good to see. Should cost what, $30, certainly no more than $50?

$185…

Read that again…

$185

Our club has no f***ing idea about the AFLW audience. None!

3 Likes
2 Likes

Just checked WatchAFL and we’re all set to go for anyone watching from overseas

4 Likes

It’s the same as offered for the AFLM (at least we have plenty of injured players to turn up at it). My favourite bit is where they always mention “traditional fare” at half-time: i.e. “here’s a pie, fark off!”

2 Likes

Bring on Saturday already!

1 Like