AFLW - round 1 vs Hawks @ Docklands, 7:10pm Saturday 27 August 2022

I did mix them up a couple times. Both got power in the caboose, which should please @bigallan

3 Likes

VELCRO

2 Likes

Nice angle!

1 Like

Doing it for Meg!

6 Likes
10 Likes

I agree with Fede’s exclamation at the end.

Frew has talent in making the Hawks want to brawl.

Pity Alana wasn’t in range.

Alexander loved it!

@CharlieDons: :100: work this morning

1 Like

I saw her sprinting from the bench to try and get to the melee!! I reckon she was pretty keen to scrag a few.

3 Likes

Gonna need a bigger tackle.

It hurt, but it stopped them scoring (no one between those two and the goals).

BUMP LIKE A GIRL.

I did lol. Just in time too

2 Likes

Positives have to be this is the first proper match they have played together as a team by round 5, 10 we should have improved again. Along with the Hawks.

2 Likes

And Davies and CBomb and parents etc.

6 Likes

Some kid still in high school that no one knows is inspiring people.

(van Dyke had a couple early disposals then disappeared statistically. Been impressed with how she’s slotted in down back, though.)

Coaching via stunts…

By Alyce Collett

Essendon was the only expansion side to taste success this weekend after they took care of Hawthorn by 26 points under the lights at Marvel Stadium. In a match full of memorable moments and plenty of emotions, the Hawks stuck with the more highly fancied Bombers for three quarters, but got overrun in the last quarter as Essendon kicked away.

TALKING POINTS

Hawthorn look much better already then they did in the practice match

Hawthorn’s performance in their practice match against Richmond left many concerned about how they would go this season. Hawthorn fans will be relieved to know that that performance did not tell the full story, as they were a lot more competitive last night. While they were playing lower touted opposition, their ball movement and their forward 50 entry work was also much better than a fortnight ago.

Bonnie is Too-good

It has been said before, but it needs to be said again, Bonnie Toogood is an underrated star of the competition. She flew under the radar while at the Western Bulldogs, but now she is at Essendon her star is really shining bright. She was stellar up forward for the Bombers, providing a very strong marking target up forward, and kicked two majors as well. Moving forward opposing clubs really need to quell her influence if they want any chance of beating Essendon.

The result could have been very different if Essendon had kicked straight

Essendon was very inaccurate in front of goal last night, and certainly could have put the result to bed much earlier than they did. The Bombers ultimately kicked 11 behinds for the match, and very few were either touched or rushed.

Special moment for a Hawk on debut

On a night full of firsts and plenty of emotions, there was one particularly special moment for young Hawk on debut Sophie Locke. After an emotionally charged few weeks for the young forward, including losing her mum to cancer, she was the one to kick Hawthorn’s first ever goal, and after she kissed the black arm bands on her arm, everyone could tell how much the moment meant to her.

History made for a much loved Bomber

Locke’s goal was not the only historic first goal. With two new teams playing in the match, Essendon needed a historic first goal kicker, and it was some what fitting that that honour goes to Jess Wuetschner, who has had quite the emotional past few months before finding herself at Essendon.

1 Like

I advise you not to watch the Inside the Rooms video sent to members.

2 Likes

Taking the knee?