AFLW - round 1 vs Hawks @ Docklands, 7:10pm Saturday 27 August 2022

Girls were allowed to play in all underage comps over here in my day. We played against a few girls and 2 of them were absolute guns at u12 level and even at u14’s level they still held their own. From about 15yo seemed to be the age where the gap opened up and by about 16 or 17 they were usually lost to the game.
We have always had girls mix in cricket and a similar story with a few exceptions where a couple have gone on to play with the men

2 Likes

Well you know, us Septics, we’re all a bit dour.

1 Like

Watching the WB and GWS game - I’m impressed with the footy, but I’m more jealous of what Carlton have done with their home ground, the development. I can’t believe we allowed ourselves to be pushed out by a zephyr from our spiritual and cutural home. Need to sell of Tullamarine and move back to Windy Hill. Surely, seriously… to play good footy you don’t need two grounds that replicate two Melbourne grounds. ■■■■■■■ joke.

Princes Park has been the beneficiary of AFaiL money. They have plied heaps into the venue and have located some of their admin there. I think the VFL could be run from there?

1 Like

issue with windy hill was expanding and the bowls club…

Needed Rohan conolly to get into the bowls club board and shut them down from within.

opposite of cracker jack :joy:

It was always the ground second to the MCG until Waverley. It was the main VFL ground in WW2 when US troops used the MCG as their camp. EFC premiership in 1942 was at PP.
It was marked out for the main Melbourne Olympic venue , until the Cain Govt came in and settled on the MCG to save money.
In one way or another, it was a recipient of State and Fed money, explains why Elliott was so anti Waverley when the VFL decided it wanted its own ground.

1 Like

Nahh, exact same story line.
But Essendon are the John Clarke character with a pokies obsession.

What are the plans for home ground going forward? Surely the plan is not to play at Port Melbourne for the forseeable future, is it?

How long is this season?
Suburban grounds could be taken over for cricket before too long .
IDK whether Docklands has bookings for other entertainment.

Not that I really like it, but why doesn’t the jumper have the 150 years logo?

Is it because of this bullshit cotton on thing where all AFLW jumpers have to be ■■■■ and look the same?

Have a look at the fixture: they use a million grounds because of that.

Alana: ah, yeah, you got this.

At some point I expect a dump of Nigel Barrie photos.

P.S. Stupid goal post.

Katherine McFadyen… well, that stretched the memory a bit. Played 2 games in 2018 and 6 in 2019 off half-back (had injury issues), when Fede debuted vs Melb Uni as a midfielder (Jess Stassi was the freak forward that day, with both of her goals being in the VFLW’s five plays of the week).

2 Likes

Can’t believe how much I loved watching that game.
Still makes me happy.

6 Likes

It’s Windy Hill post-development and The Hangar, I believe. The issue is the broadcast standard lights. Can’t have them at The Hangar because of the planes.

3 Likes

FYI - Prespakis in the title is not out Prespakis… YET. :wink:

1 Like

Nigel Barrie leaking photos before the dump.

The Irish ball drop:

2 Likes

3 Likes