AFLW - round 1 vs Hawks @ Docklands, 7:10pm Saturday 27 August 2022

Very very unfortunate, just as they crossed to Barham he started yawning, so, you guessed it, they showed about 10 seconds of the first yawn, then the follow up. Not a great look, but I reckon he can be excused.

Pretty pointless showing the whole yawn, they should have cut away to something else.

Essendon recruit Madison Prespakis has given an early indication of her value at her new club, claiming her first nomination for the AFLW MVP of the Week award, presented by Snaffle.

Vote for your AFLW MVP of the Week

Prespakis, Brisbane’s Orla O’Dwyer and North Melbourne midfield star Jasmine Garner have also been nominated for their round one performances to kickstart Season 7.

In a week where her sister Georgie kicked the game winner for Geelong, Maddy Prespakis was outstanding for her new side, after crossing from Carlton in the off-season, gathering a match-high 26 disposals, six clearances and kicking one goal.

O’Dwyer, a first-time All Australian in Season 6, had 20 disposals and kicked two goals as the Lions thumped Fremantle by 49 points.

Garner was equally as damaging as the Roos romped to a a 26-point win, collecting a match-high 27 touches and one goal.

Vote for your AFLW MVP of the Week at the link above.

2 Likes

P.S. If you want detailed stats, don’t go to the AFL site: it’s broken and that doesn’t appear to be a priority for the code monkeys. You can get the equivalent data via the individual club sites, though.

The Time on Ground stat is interesting: a clump of 90-100%, and a lot of part-timers (including Barba/Radford/Doonan). I know we reported no injuries, but Wales at 43% is a concern whatever the reason. Fede got her 64% entirely within the first three quarters, and sat out the last quarter.

(average is 16/21 = 76%, vs AFLM 18/22 = 82%; may not seem a huge difference, but that’s an average of 31% more rest)

Some non-disposal stats:

LOL, code monkey somehow included special colouring code to show a team was highest if their total was zero:

This sentence is hilarious out of context :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think I need to explain how each coach voted this week!

Essendon v Hawthorn

10 Madison Prespakis (ESS)
8 Bonnie Toogood (ESS)
6 Matilda Lucas-Rodd (HAW)
4 Paige Scott (ESS)
1 Tamara Luke (HAW)
1 Jasmine Fleming (HAW)

3 Likes

7 players have been offered reprimands ($400 fine) across the league, including Zoe Barbakos for striking Ellyse Gamble in the first quarter.

The media got their job done, with Tait Mackrill done for “Rough Conduct” via the very light bump of Blackburn off the ball. Amazingly, a first offence :crazy_face:

1 Like

It wasn’t very ladylike.

1 Like

Vote early and vote often*

*not legal advice

Well great. Now you’ve prompted all the Brisbane supporters on here to increase it to 4%.

Why do you hate Madison?

Fark Diggers and fark the Bears.

1 Like

Toogood named forward and Prespakis scraped onto the bench.

People having fun.

1 Like

It was not in focus , but I think they use boring magnet names.

Geez there must’ve been some amazing performances over the opening weekend for Maddy to only make the bench…

2 Likes

As soon as I stopped waiting, Nigel Barrie posted 107 photos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=449210940591263&set=pcb.449223787256645