General AFLW comments and articles

If I have to choose between AFLW and battlebots, sorry AFLW!

I liked this article very much.

Women’s place in football is finally the norm, writes Neroli Meadows

FEBRUARY 6, 20173:38PM

LET’S be honest, I work in a male dominated industry.

For the majority of my career I’ve been surrounded by men. On many occasions I’m the only female. Sometimes, I’m not even that; just on the outside, looking in.

Every woman involved in this industry has a similar story. That’s what made this weekend so special.

We all knew what the other was feeling. It wasn’t women pitted against each other for a solitary role on offer. It was women, supporting women - being proud of each other, embracing each other, often in tears.

Administrators who have spent decades surrounded by men; a coach who has always been the only female staff member in a team of blokes; a player who has spent her entire junior career playing with the boys until, of course, she was told she was no longer allowed to play at all.

AFLW Round 1 was historic for the game in Australia

We all came together and it was a united front. No longer were we asking permission to be involved, peeping around a door, pleading to come in.

We all knew what it took to get to this moment.

We all knew just how passionate you have to be to survive, let alone thrive. Every single person had to fight to get to that moment. But it was a moment worth fighting for.

For the first time, I wasn’t the outsider. I was the norm - a woman who loves footy.

My niece turns five next week. On Saturday, my brother sent me a text: “We got to see Aunty Neroli on the TV today and Milla is very keen to play footy now, but ‘I’m not getting any tattoos, Dad!’”

Now that’s a beautiful thing.

She’ll grow up always feeling like it’s her game.

And what’s more, her three younger brothers won’t know any different.

That’s the change; the shift in thinking.

Girls playing footy, no big deal.

Don’t get me wrong I want Womens footy to succeed but I just don’t see it happening most women follow Netball.

Don't get me wrong I want Womens footy to succeed but I just don't see it happening most women follow Netball.

Do they?
Even the girls I know that played netball all followed footy and couldn’t even name one professional netballer (ok, so the last part may have been an exaggeration)

Also, 3 reports laid from the weekends matches

Saw a bit of most games (none of the Demons-lieons except for a bit that was on the news) and thought it was ok. That Darcee Veccio was pretty handy. Will probably watch a similar amount of it next week. I noticed that a former (PE) student of mine played for the visy park cheats didn’t do much but I think they rate her long term. My wife’s friend kicked the only goal for GWS so she went ok. Interesting times ahead.

Funny enough i went down to my usual park to walk the dog Sunday afternoon and a couple of young fit looking girls were in the park playing kick to kick together. Never seen it before. I reckon the participation and standard will lift pretty quickly because girls will see an easy opportunity to play professional sport that’s covered on tv and the competition to get on a list is minimal atm due to the ■■■■ standard.

A few country towns have combined netball- football clubs

A few country towns have combined netball- football clubs

Most do.
Very often the social centre of the community.

Funny enough i went down to my usual park to walk the dog Sunday afternoon and a couple of young fit looking girls were in the park playing kick to kick together. Never seen it before. I reckon the participation and standard will lift pretty quickly because girls will see an easy opportunity to play professional sport that's covered on tv and the competition to get on a list is minimal atm due to the ■■■■ standard.

Then, like powerlifting (my main sport), you get a bunch of f*cking hacks running around with medals hanging around their necks purely because they’ve never competed against anyone in a competition in their life.
I really do hope the standard lifts so all these wannabe K Hunts don’t detract from the Katie Brennan’s and Daisy Pearce’s of the world who have actually earned their chance at playing at the national level

Wut?

Haven't read the rest of this thread so apologies if others have said this but this is a typical AFL effort to improve the brand and say they're helping to make big changes in society.

Really they shut women out of the game for many years and are now trying to look good for giving them something many, many years after they should have.

The poorly paid women are being used as pawns and once again a compliant media are toeing the line.

Too little too late and no doubt the long overdue progress that has been made has nothing to do with the AFL - but that doesn’t stop them from taking the credit.

I wonder how much of bringing this on now is Gil trying to distract attention from the rest of the fckups that have happened on his watch and he is desperate for some good news and a something to make the AWFul look more than the pack of cnts that they are.

It was round one of season one. The top players were incredibly skilled and the standard dropped off after that but they all had a red hot go.
I then put on the 1965 premiership DVD and watched the skills in that game and saw more grubbed kicks, shanked kicks and missed marks than in the girls games. This was fifty years ago but it was season 69 of the elite competition.
Give the girls a go and they might surprise.

Wut?

Cliffs: all the girls in the AFLW who have come directly from other sports and had nothing to do with supporting grass roots Australian Football can EAD

I think the woman’s league is fantastic, and way overdue. I’m also not fooled by the AFL claiming responsibility for its immediate success either.
Women playing footy is not new to me, my cousin was mixing it up with the guys many years ago down at Woodside. There was even a write up on her in the Herald Sun ( even though its a shitrag of a paper). That was many many years ago. She was quite a nifty cricketer also and went on to play, and I do believe captain for a while, the Queensland woman’s state side.
To me, this kind of thing is why it’s an immediate success. Its been a long long time coming, and its about farking time.

Wut?

Cliffs: all the girls in the AFLW who have come directly from other sports and had nothing to do with supporting grass roots Australian Football can EAD

Heaven forbid someone should take up an invitation to participate in the launch of the national AFL comp for women because they are coming from another sport.
Oh the evilness.

Wut?

Heaven forbid someone should take up an invitation to participate in the launch of the national AFL comp for women because they are coming from another sport.
Oh the evilness.

Perhaps I should rephrase to “The AFL can EAD”
Oh, and fark Carlton

My niece played for the Dees and got 13 possies, you beauty Lily! Can't wait for the Bombers to get our own team, I'll get along and support them (then again I'd support an Essendon-branded fly crawling up a wall).

I was chatting to one of the AFLW pioneers a few weeks back (Emma Phillips - an absolute gun footballer - had a kick to kick with her once and she was consistently hitting me flush on the chest with fast low drop punts from 40 m away) who said that the original plan was to wait another year or two, even as late as 2020, to allow some more talent to come through. The worry was that punters would be turned off by the lack of quality/depth, but that there were quite a lot of good juniors in the system. So hopefully they can sustain the interest for a year or two until some more talent comes through.

For the record I was rapt at the turn out and the intensity of the play but not overly impressed with the foot skills. From what I’ve seen on the track most of these women can kick pretty well, so maybe it was nerves and maybe it was the extra pressure of match day.

My daughter was runner for the Pies.Supposed to be Team manger but male runner tore calf muscle .
I was in the Guard of honor for Pies team as they ran on the ground wasn,t allowed to have any bombers gear showing.
We went to Cairns to watch the national championships in 2013my daughter was playing for WA that year.So she played in the first game at the G 2 womens all stars teams against each other ,then for Melbourne against Dogs and then for Dogs against Melbourne.Like most girls playing on the weekend they have all played a lot of competative footy over the years.

PS she said Fark Carlton after the game
PPS it wasn’t women’s footy it felt like Carlton versus Collingwood
also hot dogs $6.00

This thread is was on the wrong board…

just an observation.

This thread is was on the wrong board...

just an observation.

x

I hate the womens league.

I found myself supporting FC because they made a broader family member (and excellent person) captain. I so wish she’d stayed at the Bulldogs (she probably does too as a doggies fan!)

Im not sure i can ever forgive them this horrible conflict.