General AFLW comments and articles

Every part of the AFLW has been a rush job, it doesn’t surprise me in the least they didn’t think this part of it through either.

2 Likes

People can have differing opinions. It’d be a boring world if we all agreed with each other.

1 Like

Would be great to see anyone transgender people given the chance to play in either comp, irrespective of size.

But let me get this straight, she’s allowed to play in a lower female comp against female ‘weekend warriors’, but not against the elite women?

Makes sense

3 Likes

This is another player Nth missed out on.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, you can identify as a female or male and I believe you should be treated as such; HOWEVER we have a female and male league for a reason.
It’s not because of how they identify, it’s because of their physical genetics. There is a difference between identifying as one and being physically born as one; social issues can treat you what you identify as however when it comes to physical output then it simply has to be genetic based.

Otherwise what would stop someone like Heath Hocking or Lachie Keefe identifying a woman tomorrow, getting drafted and then dominanting the AFLW and earning good coin in doing so?

Won’t bother commenting on your opinion, but to assume the AFL Women are making money that would be considered ‘good coin’ is laughable.

I think it was $5K each for the first season, with 3 marque players per club getting $25K, possibly a few with endorsements and media roles.

Um, exactly the same rules that apply in the olympics and which the AFL said they’d adhere to - up until today? The exact same rules that DO apply in the local league Mouncey played in up until now? Where there’s a bunch of medical tests, testosterone levels are monitored over a long period of time, etc etc?

It’s not just a matter of Mumford or soneone picking up a frock at KMart on Friday night and lining up in the AFLW on saturday arvo. It’s a long and involved medical testing process.

1 Like

old white men deciding for everyone else again.

2 Likes

The young can vote them out, if they could be bothered.

It should be pretty simple

Sausage on = boy
Sausage off = girl

Hannah Mouncey is Sausage on

3 Likes

Well said. Someone go round up all the young people and get them to vote in the AFL executive elections.

Edit: in the interest of fairness, barnz is also wrong in this case about who (nominally at least) made the decision.

What if his frock was from Dolce & Gabbana?

Let CAS decide I say.

2 Likes

I’d make a comment about Pandora’s Box, but I think Pandora underwent the addadictomy operation and is no longer Pandora.

1 Like

They should cancel the entire AFLW and relaunch it in a couple of years after some actual planning. The entire thing is a complete cluster created out of desperation to not look out of touch. Shelf it for a couple of years, do some planning and come back so it can actually thrive…right now it just looks lie a footy carnival.

What are those rules?
It doesn’t change she was born with male genetics and therefore has a natural physical advantage. It’s not a matter of her being physically 50/50 at birth, it’s shes mentally decided to be a woman. That’s not me trying to sound like ■■■■■■■, it’s just the reality of it.

If people think it’s a can of worms now, what happens if she’s drafted next year and wins the Brownlow by 300 votes? All hell will break loose, and that’s not taking into consideration the credibility hit to female Sports due to one of the earliest Brownlow winners in AFLW history being born a man.

Life cant be fair for everyone, so the fairest way for the majority of people effected by a decision like this is to adjudicate it by fact based science.

1 Like

So what happens when people are born with both sexual organS?

It’s not as simple as male/female.

1 Like

You take the most dominant chromosome they have.

And it IS as simple as male or female when science is applied, which is why it must be the adjudicator for something like sport which relies on a persons physical abilities.
We have men’s and woman’s leagues / Olympic events for a reason; the physical abilities of males is better than that of a females.

When putting a social lense on it that’s when it becomes very complex. I’m 100% behind treating people the way they identify but there are unfortunately some things that the genetics you’re born with will impact.

You’re trying to have it both ways here. You’re saying men are more physically capable than women so should be in different leagues, and that not everyone is genetically equal. (The ‘dominant chromosome’ stuff is such a ridiculous scientific oversimplification I’m not even going to address it.)

Here’s the thing - you’re saying people who are genetically predisposed to different levels of athletic ability shouldn’t compete against each other. But then the only test of genetic capability you apply is gender-based.

Once again I’ll come back the example of my female basketballer mate. I’m roughly six foot and in decent shape - she is six inches taller than me, more naturally co-ordinated, and much stronger. Seriously, it isn’t even close. Which of us is genetically more athletically capable? Why would it be ok for her to play AFLW but not a transgender version of me? She has a much greater physical advantage over a 5’8" AFLW player than post-hormone therapy me would. Talking about on AVERAGE men being stronger etc than women is true enough, but there are outliers on both sides.

The AFL has left themselves open to questions like this by making the restriction on mouncey nominally about safety and level playing fields rather than about transgenderism. I suspect it’s more a marketing thing more than anything else, but whatever. Once you make it about physical evenness and deny its about transgenderism you logically have to apply that same ruling to women born as women. And THAT’S where the can of worms is. Do you start having weight classes for AFLW, like in boxing? Do you have maximum strength tests? It all gets very complex indeed very quickly.

2 Likes

If you think she is female through “mentally deciding”, you are not understanding gender at all.

1 Like