Alternatives to Apple tv

After being restricted to small data limits for so long, l am finally about to connect to the NBN and the world of streaming. But what do people use to stream. Read up about apple tv, but have read there are limited apps on there. Read good things about Roku and amazon fire/firestick but my understanding is you can’t get them here except a restricted Roku 2 if you go with telstra, which l won’t be. So just interested to know what anyone here uses or recommends.

Chromecast all the way.

ordered a roku from amazon. just had to get a power adapter.

Im subscribed to Stan and have a chromecast to watch through tv. Will swap out Stan for Netflix at some stage. Definitely recommend getting a chromecast

I’ve also just got a PC Stick for $80 off ebay. Plugs into TV via HDMI, then use a wireless keyboard and mouse app on my phone to control it.

That way, I can stream many things many different ways.

Just extend your display. I have Apple TV, but chromecast is sweet too.

New Apple TV is lit

I’m using an Apple TV4. If you have 2 apple accounts (Aus and US) you can add all the Aus apps (ABC, SBS etc) and on the same home screen all the US apps you can add. Hulu, HBOGo, Showtime and plenty of US sports (if thats your thing). I’m looking forward to the upcoming update will have a universal login for your apps for those lucky enough to have a US cable account. One login, activates all your US apps.

Not sure where you got the idea of limited apps on the ATV, if anything the ATV have the market share of service providers and developers, if there is an app to be made, 99 times out of 100 it’ll hit the ATV. It’s only apps like amazon where there is a direct competition, although I hear amazon and apple are working on getting their app on the ATV. If you create a US account, or even a UK account (google how to’s) you can switch between the accounts and download what that country has to offer. Combined with a VPN service and you’re ready to rock.

The only thing missing is a AFL app. But thats a universal problem with all these streaming services. It seems the AFL is always 10 years behind the technology or burdened by exclusivity rights by foxtel and telstra. If they ever got around to a AFL Global app for the ATV, it’d be a perfect streaming device.

Having said all that, I hear good things about the chromecast and roku.

If you don’t want Australian content, Roku 4 all the way. I’ve got one and they’re great. I use (sling share) someone’s American cable TV account (costs $100 bucks a year) and get access to most cable TV channels. If that doesn’t appeal, Roku have plenty of channels that you can subscribe to. It’s pretty easy to set up - you just need to subscribe to a DNS provider. I recommend DNS4me. Unfortunately, they no longer support US Netflix but they support lots of other channels.

Kodi / exodus is game over. Don’t need anything else

If you don't want Australian content, Roku 4 all the way. I've got one and they're great. I use (sling share) someone's American cable TV account (costs $100 bucks a year) and get access to most cable TV channels. If that doesn't appeal, Roku have plenty of channels that you can subscribe to. It's pretty easy to set up - you just need to subscribe to a DNS provider. I recommend DNS4me. Unfortunately, they no longer support US Netflix but they support lots of other channels.

Geez, 100 bucks was a good get. I was paying 15 per month, that included showtime and hbo to the rest of the channels. Well 15 bucks till the pay pal account i was sending to was suspended. So for over a year my passwords have still worked and no requests for money.

You dorks watch too much tv.

Just got a chromecast about half an hour ago. Now I can mirror todays VFL game onto the tv. Much goodness in this.

do yourselves a BIG favor, invest in a micro PC to hook up to your telly via HDMI, search and install Kodi, search and find out how to add get exodus addon. YOU WONT NEED ANYTHING ELSE EVER AGAIN

last time Im telling yous

Just got a chromecast about half an hour ago. Now I can mirror todays VFL game onto the tv. Much goodness in this.
I find mirroring can be a bit hit and miss. Im currently watching that god awful cake cooking show via the 7 live webpage, geolocated in Melbs and the quality is probably 720 p. 7's version of online streaming shitz all over nine's who are being extreme nazis about geo location. 7 just let you enter your postcode. Quality is very good

Is this Zumba bloke a friggen robot or what? He has one expression only

Is this Zumba bloke a friggen robot or what? He has one expression only
Why would you look at him when Rachel Khoo is there?

Good point but unfortunately they keep cutting to his emotionless head. Not sure why they picked him. Should have just been her

do yourselves a BIG favor, invest in a micro PC to hook up to your telly via HDMI, search and install Kodi, search and find out how to add get exodus addon. YOU WONT NEED ANYTHING ELSE EVER AGAIN

last time Im telling yous

Stupid question…
Would I need a VPN for the add-on?