Amazing things thread

As an aside - all this renewed interest in space and all the space stuff NASA and others are doing is very exciting.

Now I want to know what would happen if Earth was (gently) pushed into a much greater elliptical orbit.
If our orbit went as close to the sun as Venus and as far out as, perhaps, Jupiter.
What if our ‘year’ was ten years long in that circumstance?

Yes, I have too much time on my hands.

https://www.quora.com/What-will-happen-if-the-Earth-leaves-its-orbit

My initial response would be we’d get very very hot and very very cold.

1 Like

I found that far less satisfying.
I think the people who are discussing this should talk to the disappearing sun people, as the latter appear to have put a lot more thought into it.

While I wouldn’t want to call any of these responders…let’s say silly…

"Google says that temperature of the moon at night is minus 233 Celsius. This means that even a slight shift of earth away from the sun will freeze the whole planet! "

Dude.
Come on.

You should add your own answer.
Maybe do it to a musical number.
Or as a meme.

2 Likes

thank you BBlitz for the suggestion but at this moment I don’t want to reply to other people

2 Likes

It would be of more value than ‘The earth would be the moon because they’re the same thing!’
But not much.

My 1st thought was very very Dead.

I for one welcome the new format of a 726 week AFL season.

The 351 week off season, not so much. Fark, blitz would implode.

4 Likes

My research gave me a two part answer.
a) depends, and
b) dunno.

Oh, but also
c) eventually, very very Dead. Because getting that close to the sun would apparently strip our atmosphere away.
Whether this would take 1 year or 10,000 or 100,000 years, see a and b.

Going as far out as Jupiter would mean death from freezing, … and as close to the Sun as that, by frying at 480 C, whilst all the water on the planet boils off.

These are my two favourite space photos.

“This narrow-angle color image of the Earth, dubbed ‘Pale Blue Dot’, is a part of the first ever ‘portrait’ of the solar system taken by Voyager 1. The spacecraft acquired a total of 60 frames for a mosaic of the solar system from a distance of more than 4 billion miles from Earth and about 32 degrees above the ecliptic. From Voyager’s great distance Earth is a mere point of light, less than the size of a picture element even in the narrow-angle camera. Earth was a crescent only 0.12 pixel in size. Coincidentally, Earth lies right in the center of one of the scattered light rays resulting from taking the image so close to the sun. This blown-up image of the Earth was taken through three color filters — violet, blue and green — and recombined to produce the color image. The background features in the image are artifacts resulting from the magnification.”

The Voyager missions are amazing in themselves. The fact they still transmit data is mind blowing. The fact their version of wifi works over that distance is wow.

1 Like

Yes, I had to reel it in a bit.
The thing about freezing is it’s not going to be freezing for long.
Of course there’s talk about the Goldilocks zone, but that talk assumes the outer livable limits of being permanently on the edge of that zone, which, being an ellipse, is not what I’m talking about at all.

1 Like

It’s radio. You could theoretically pick up AM transmissions waaaaaay out into space, if the transmitters were pointed that direction.

1 Like

So one day the inhabitants on planet X12Cx-23a will hear Neale Daniher ■■■■■■ victory for Essendon from Fark Carlton.

That’s a very pleasing thought.

3 Likes

snat_ch is censored
that’s amazing

2 Likes

So is ■■■■, which is important for radios and bourbon. Whoever did the American nanny filter is annoying.

2 Likes

And they can’t spell.

(k.n.o.b vs nob)