ANNOUNCE FEWER OLYMPICS/PARALYMPICS/COMM GAMES

I wouldn’t be surprised if the results aren’t as good as the “clean” Olympics purely based on participation numbers so it’ll be interesting to see how the public respond to it.

It will be an interesting one off but I can’t imagine it gains traction long term.

IIRC there are two distinct bodybuilding comps.
There’s been some brawl between the IOC and the International Boxing Association (something about governance and doping) which will no longer be recognised as the representative international federation.
Boxing will be an Olympic sport for the Paris Olympics, but after that, it’s up in the air

It’s going to be awkward when in the athletics comp they run the same or worse times than the umm “clean” athletes :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Agree.

People think of this as the absolute best in a given sport getting an artificial boost. I doubt it’ll be that. I suspect the absolute best will likely stay clean (or compete among them, at least).

It’ll be the rung below them who this may interest.

1 Like

There are.
In powerlifting there’s basically IPF (test and IOC linked) then 100s (no exaggeration) of other federations worldwide.

1 Like

Can’t imagine sponsors are lining up for this.

Most juice is borderline legal at best, even before thinking about the ethical and health repercussions, the Nikes and Coca Colas of the world aren’t touching that.

Part of the problem lies with the shonky WADA list of prohibited substances , the shonky rules themselves and shonky practices in regard to application of doping rules to individual athletes. It should just be about health. As it is, it has relaxed rules on illicit recreational drugs.
While not doping as such, the AIS has set the lead in regard to trans athletes. Instead of a complete ban, it has a program of scientific research establishing whether the transition from male to female at a particular time has in fact given the athlete an advantage over other female athletes or an advantage in a particular sport.

Maybe it’s time to take up another sport son?

Comm games cancelled.

https://twitter.com/bridgerollo/status/1681075781219553281?s=20

You mean “irrelevant games”

1 Like

I’m sure the care factor will be low.

4 Likes

It does provide some great moments though so this is sad to hear.

Watching Ollie Hoare remarkably win a Gold medal in the last stride in a competitive 1500m field - beating recent World Champions and Olympic medallists along the way - is probably top 5 for my favourite moments as an Australian sports fan.

2 Likes

Not for the economy of regional areas that were embracing employment opportunities and upgrades to facilities etc.

3 Likes

the facility developments will still happen. will just be on a slightly longer timeline.

3 Likes

Very embarrassing, as much as I have little to no interest in the second tier games

We should’ve never bid for it to start with

5 Likes

Money still being allocated to housing, sporting, tourism sectors

Regional spending package to replace games funding

By Tim Callanan

The Premier has announced a $2 billion spending package for regional Victoria to make up for the loss of the games, which was to act as a boost for facilities in the host centres.

That money includes a $1 billion Regional Housing Fund to build 1,300 new homes across regional Victoria.

We didn’t, the Comm Games committee came to us as no-one was bidding.

5 Likes

These games are pretty much Aus v Eng, so if they want the Athletic Ashes it could be organised by interested parties.