Another Mass Shooting, (Just Another Day) in America

It’s amazing how easily you can be wrong place/wrong time or vice versa. Like Walla off a pack, you timed your run perfectly.

Glad you’re OK buddy.

1 Like

Vast numbers of kids are training for a mass shooting every day after school playing Fortnight. Simple next step for the deranged ones is get yourself an AK47 and make it real at your local Walmart.

And now some kid is a Multi Millionaire Super Hero for blowing the most people away in said game.

It’s not great.

I’d already made the decision to leave, but this obviously reinforces it. This is not the reason, but it’s a major reason.

It’s getting harder for me to raise two children in this environment.

4 Likes

Weird that this thread got bumped after 2 Months, … then, as if on cue. :hushed:

Good God… What a horrible, scary place to live it must be.

cbsnews.com

20 killed, dozens injured in El Paso shooting

7-8 minutes

CBSN

What we know:

• 20 people killed and dozens injured in shooting near shopping mall in El Paso
  • White male suspect identified as Patrick Crusius taken into custody without incident
  • At least 22 people hospitalized, including one who died; 9 in critical but stable condition; one patient is 4 months old

Twenty people were killed and 26 others were wounded after a gunman went on a rampage Saturday at a Walmart in the Texas border town of El Paso, police said. A 21-year-old man was taken into custody after police responded within six minutes to a report of an active shooter at the Cielo Vista Mall.

The suspect, who was captured on surveillance video entering the Walmart, has been identified as 21-year-old Patrick Crusius, CBS News has confirmed. Sergeant Robert Gomez, a police spokesman, said the suspect was taken into custody “without incident” and there was no longer danger to the public.

Police Chief Greg Allen referenced a document allegedly left behind by the suspect. He said the shooting may have a “nexus” to a hate crime but declined to elaborate. He said police are considering capital murder charges.

el-paso-suspect-surveillance.jpg

Law enforcement sources tell CBS News this is a surveillance video image of the gunman walking into the Walmart. CBS

Gomez said he thinks most of the victims were shot at the Walmart in the shopping complex. He said the store was packed with as many as 3,000 people during the busy back-to-school shopping season.

Earlier, El Paso police tweeted they had received reports of “multiple shooters” but they later said they did not believe there was more than one gunman. Police also said reports of a shooting at another location were “false.”

University of Medical Center of El Paso told CBS News it had also received 11 shooting victims, including one who died. They said a 4-month-old child was among the patients it was treating. Hospital spokesman Ryan Mielke said all of the victims suffered traumatic injuries in Saturday’s attack. He declined to provide additional details about the victims, including the one who died. Mielke said two children, ages 2 and 9, were stabilized at the medical center before being transferred to the neighboring El Paso Children’s Hospital.

US-SHOOTING-EL PASO

Law enforcement agencies respond to an active shooter at a Walmart near Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso, Texas, Saturday, Aug. 3, 2019 Joel Angel Juarez / AFP/Getty Images

Del Sol Medical Center told CBS News it was treating 11 patients from the shooting. It said seven were in critical condition, and two were stable. The patients ranged in age from 35 to 42.

Alden Hall told CBSN he was in the Walmart when he saw the shooter wearing a black T-shirt, black glasses and “military-grade” ear muffs. Hall, who served in the military, said he thinks the gunman had an AK-47.

Hall said the gunman shot at him and another man, who fell on the ground. He said he saw 13 people injured and one who he thinks was shot dead. Hall shot video of the parking lot outside the store, showing first responders transporting injured people in shopping carts.

Witness Ray Holguin told CBS News that he was about to go into the Walmart when he heard more than 10 gunshots. He said he saw at least one person, an elderly lady, fall to the ground, but he’s not sure if she was shot.

15+ shots, And I swear I saw an older lady drop to the floor​:nauseated_face::cry:. Check on your family

— IG: wreckemray (@GeeRayAllDay_1) August 3, 2019

Details of the shooting were still emerging but many people took to social media to report information and post video.

There was a shooting in the El Paso Walmart and my man and his family was there but so many people got shot. Please keep them in your prayers!! I’m so shaken up

— JAY-QWEL-IN (@jaquelynavy) August 3, 2019

BREAKING: Police are advising everyone avoid the Cielo Vista area as an active shooter alert is in effect near the Cielo Vista Mall area #ElPaso #ElPasoShooting pic.twitter.com/cNpa5Z90Rd

— Jorge Salgado (@SalgadoPhoto_) August 3, 2019

My sister said the cashiers at Walmart got shot. Hopefully everyone is okay. Be safe https://t.co/78YBE1AL1g

— Carlitos (@CarAmaya11) August 3, 2019

Walmart released a statement, saying it was working with law enforcement and “praying for the victims, the community & our associates, as well as the first responders.”

President Donald Trump tweeted: “Reports are very bad, many killed.”

Terrible shootings in ElPaso, Texas. Reports are very bad, many killed. Working with State and Local authorities, and Law Enforcement. Spoke to Governor to pledge total support of Federal Government. God be with you all!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 3, 2019

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott called the shooting “a heinous and senseless act of violence.” He said the state had deployed a number of law enforcement officers to the city.

U.S. Rep. Veronica Escobar, who represents El Paso, said on Twitter she was “heartbroken” by the incident and was monitoring the situation. Her predecessor, presidential candidate and former Texas congressman Beto O’Rourke, appeared shaken as he spoke at a candidate forum in Las Vegas on Saturday shortly after news of the shooting in his hometown was reported.

O’Rourke said he had called his wife before taking the stage and said the shooting shatters “any illusion that we have that progress is inevitable” on tackling gun violence.

Beto O’Rourke responds to mall shooting in El Paso, TX

The Democrat said he’d heard early reports that the shooter might have had a military-style weapon, saying we need to “keep that (expletive) on the battlefield and do not bring it into our communities.”

“We have to find some reason for optimism and hope or else we consign ourselves to a future where nearly 40,000 people are year will lose their lives to gun violence and I cannot accept that,” O’Rourke said.

The Texas Department of Transportation provided information on how to donate blood.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

You guys know that there is a correlation of quite close to zero between virtual and actual violence, right?

4 Likes

*citation needed

2 Likes

sounds like bad parenting looking for an excuse.

I’m meh about shootings in the US. Nothing done after Sandy Hook elementary school shooting so they have accepted these events as the price they pay for second amendment rights.

11 Likes

"White Nationalists are Good People too, … "

This. If a bunch of 6 year olds being slaughtered didn’t change things nothing will.

3 Likes

Yeah. Zero link between violent computer games and real acts of violence. Google it.

1 Like

You ever played GTA for an extended period and then driven down the street to pick up your favorite take away ?

*citation needed

1 Like

This is the first thing that shows up in google for me. Even comes with its own citations.

I can’t believe people still believe violent video games turn kids violent.

1 Like

It’s not really weird, there’s a mass shooting just about every day.

2 Likes

I’m not saying there’s a link but “google it” is not proof.

Pretty sure if google was around many years ago that I’d have been able to “google it” and find there was no link between smoking and lung cancer.

The thing is it is very difficult/impossible to show causality with something like this. And this will be exploited by those with money to make from it.

Is there a link? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not, but it will be almost impossible to prove if there is, so therefore it is advertised as “No Link, Google it”

Yes, but dingus’ favourite takeaway has been dead hooker for much longer than those games have been around

4 Likes

Normally I would, but I can’t be bothered with this debate on a Sunday morning. Hence my google snark. Someone else can spend the 180 seconds it takes to get informed.

1 Like

the loons got any proof that video games = mass murderer breeding grounds?