ANZAC Day - speculation and argument for changes vs Pies 2019

What does the oracle (@westozziebomber) think will be the outcome?

I would be going with

Hooker - Cox
Hurley - Mihocek
Saad - Stephenson
Ambrose - De Goey
Redman - Elliot

I take Wim’s point about Stephenson maybe being too tall but I think Saad is a good one on one defender and Stephenson doesn’t really damage you that much in muscle on muscle contests. We need the closing speed.

Ambrose v De Goey gives me nightmares and I can see turning horrible for us, really relying on third and fourth man to come in and offer help.

I rate Elliot (unfortunately) so it’s a big task for Redman, but I’d rather McKenna has less responsibility and can focus more on rebounding. Redman just seems more composed one on one than McKenna, which isn’t a slight on McKenna at all (I just really fkn rate Redman).

On the flip side I can’t see them controlling our forward line either, and I would back our starting midfield against just about anyone now.

3 Likes

Tight tussle

We kick away at the end

Essendon by 3-5 goals. Hurley or stringer medal

4 Likes

I have to watch the game with MrHeff. I’m counting on your premonition.

Stephenson works hard up the ground and back so we need someone with good endurance. I’d prefer Redman but not sure of his/Saad’s tank. Stephenson is dangerous.

Yep, could be right. I don’t know much about Redman other than he’s been really ■■■■■■■ good.

I think a lot of the match ups are more dependent on where they line up and who we want where. For instance I doubt we want Hooker and Hurley up on the wing, so they will most likely take some players that are staying deep.

1 Like

On paper, yes.
Let’s do well against an in-form team first.

I thought you would have loaded him into your canon this week, but then let him back when the kids notice he’s missing.

2 Likes

No doubt they’ll tag Zerrett. They’ll know Shiel will get the inside ball and run and Heppell will just gather and kick. Zerrett can hurt them with his kicking, so they’ll definitley tag him.

That GOT episode did not put me in a good frame of mind for this game.

4 Likes

Why would he wait for two years to play senior footy? Missing most of two years will affect his contract enormously. Plus foregoing the $5000 a game that he isn’t playing in the seniors.

Is the right mindset really ‘I’m going to wait in the seconds at this club - maybe until a player contracted for two more years retires - when I could play in any of a dozen other teams in the AFL?’. Is that the competitive mindset we want? Is that even admirable?

Remember, here’s a guy that wants to play football. If our football club won’t let him, then it makes sense for him to go to another football club.

To be clear, this isn’t a comment on whether or not we should pick him if it doesn’t make sense to for our team. The club can have different interests than that of an individual player. The fans can have different interests than that of an individual player. I just think the idea that he owes it to us to wait around for two years totally fails to empathise with the fact that he is a footballer that wants to play football.

Edit: I don’t know how to quote stuff

Collingwood are really really impressive.

I feel they are top 4 certs and if it we get their scalp it will be a sensational win.

3 Likes

If we play like our game like we did against the Lions, we will give ourselves every opportunity.

Collingwood won’t be allowing that to happen, as we saw in their form against the Lions a few days ago.

2 Likes

■■■■ it. Go all in and try to match up head to head. Take them on

2 Likes

Your calculator doesn’t alter my memory.

We will need to go up another level at least. We are capable of it.

2 Likes

Yep. But we have known that from the results last year.

Looking forward to seeing if we have achieved the step up or not.

Someone run of the line and flatten the front running ■■■■ sidebottom

3 Likes

I think this game will be an absolute cracker. Both forward lines have the ability to kick big scores and quickly. Both teams have a quality backlines as well. I think out midfield rotation of Merrett, Shiel and Heppell breaks even with any one their rotations with Sidebottom, Adams, Beams, Treloar and Pendlebury. But it will be up to our second string when we have Myers, Parish, Zaharakis, McGrath to match them.

Both teams are the same number of wins and losses. Collingwood have a greater percentage due to our first couple of games.

The only team both teams have played is Brisbane and we had a very similar score line. We haven’t beaten anyone of note and the only team of note Collingwood beat is Richmond (in a game that Rance and Riewoldt went down in).

The prospect of a Smith and Zaharakis in for Baguely and Hams means we could line up with our strongest team in years.

Cannot wait for this match!

5 Likes