ANZAC Day - speculation and argument for changes vs Pies 2019

this periods worse gov.

We had no mobile phones…

I’d put saad on him and if he is still getting off the chain I’d try mcg

I know it won’t happen but I keep having visions of a late call up Mozzie streaming down the wing, four bounces, tight angle slot from 35 out. Electrifies the place, no match up works, whole team lifts. I guess it’ll have to be Walla, Joedan and Raz. Booorring.

2 Likes

Please.

imagine your formative years of going for essendon had us being ■■■■ and the drug saga as opposed to just being ■■■■.

Saga aside, purely footy. No comparison.

apart from the games we lost, we won the rest.

Enjoy your day Barnz.

I think Saad is our best small defender, who can spoil a mark very well. I don’t think putting Pidge on Stephenson becomes a net benefit to us - but who knows.

Respect your elders. In the 70s we barely scraped together 93 wins and lost 3 finals over ten years. In the last decade we’ve surged to an exhilarating 98 wins and played in 4 finals series. Could not be more different.

9 Likes

Our Top class mids are all first rate now and complement each other
A - Heppell, Shiel, Merrett
B - Smith, Zaharakis McGrath
C - Myers, Guelfi Parish, Stringer, Guelfi, Ham

The midifeld players complement each other well, and have learnt the intracices each others games.

Actually excited about watching them agains the pies
Myers is basically there for the bigger body.
would be nice if Laverde or langford can take that role.
Stringer is probably only going to be a pinch hitter. I like him up forward, and having a run on the ball.

With Daniher and Brown the only talls. Maybe that means Laverde could come in to be a marking target when Stringer is on the ball or Daniher in the ruck.

We have a fairly stable back six with Hurly/Hooker and Ambrose experienced.
Have had stable forward 6 building cohesion, but with lots of x factor - Tippa, fanta, Daniher, Stringer
We have real versatility now up forward. with Brown able to go back. Daniher able to ruck, Hooker able to go forward. Stringer/Smith able to midfield and play forward.
Brown/Ambrose are workmanlike, but play their role to a tee.

Baguley - is coming to his expiry, we have a lot of options to fill that small medium forward role

• rest a mid forward / Mozzie, Laverde, Begley/ Ham
3 Likes

Woosha fronted the press

6 Likes

LAV

3 Likes

ITS TIME

For all the talk about the Collingwood midfield, I don’t think ours is that far behind…

Shiel = Treloar

Heppell = Pendlebury

Merrett = Beams

Smith = Adams

Zaharakis < Sidebottom

McGrath > Thomas

Myers / Parish < Phillips

Stringer = De Goey

Bellchambers << Grundy

Ruck is the big difference, but not that much in it otherwise. You could argue the toss on some of the ratings above, but overall I still don’t think there is a lot in it.

2 Likes
16 Likes

Shiel= Treloar

Heppell = Pendlebury

Merrett = Beams

Smith > Adams

Zaharakis < Sidebottom

McGrath = Thomas

If Draper can be the next best up and coming ruck. that would elevate our mids.
Also Parish stepping up another level. Plus Langford and Laverde realising potential.
Also Beams and Pendles getting on for Pies.

Obviously pies can add Wells to the mix as well when he is fit.

Why is McGrath floating

4 Likes

Because he’s a high pick.

4 Likes