ANZAC Day

What is this strange phenomenon of 'Saturday afternoon' football that you speak of? 

What is this strange phenomenon of 'Saturday afternoon' football that you speak of? 

Imagine if they were to have 6 games on a Saturday - oh, the HORROR!

Wash your mouth out you filthy boy.

Footy at 11am on ANZAC day?

I wonder what changed the RSL's mind about that being disrespectful..

They agreed on the proviso it not be shown on free to air, only on fox footy.

I think 5 games sounds too many and playing a game at 11am local time is rubbish. Even if the RSL agreed to it, the AFL shouldn't be putting them in that position. Just respect the day and play the footy after lunchtime. 

If the game is in NZ, then it is already 1pm NZ time. So it's already meeting the RSL's 1pm requirement (or the RS and A as it is across the ditch).

Come on Pazz, that's a technicality. Local time is irrelevant. What is relevant is what time it is in Australia, where the overwhelming majority of AFL followers live.

The overwhelming majority think it's called AAC Day, too.

Besides, no one here will want to watch a St Kilda match anyway. I haven‘t seen Gwilt play since 2012.

(don‘t have a great problem with it)

RIP

edit; imo this could imply we will have players banned

What the fact that Anzac Day next year is a Saturday, and traditionally there are 4-5 games a week playing on that particular day? Riiiggghhhtttttttt....

6 games on a Saturday.......in Melbourne.........that'd feel like it was back in the 70's.

The eroding of "our" day was done a few years ago, so this is an extension of that.  Besides, it's the 100th anniversary, we'll let some other clubs enjoy it also.

is vossy working at afl house

if it will boost crowds in other states then im for it.

but they still will draw a big crowd at the G.

And it will be the game all the punters want to see.

Verging on my dream an all day footy marathon

Do they still show the march on the screen at the G before the game?

Does that mean it will be easier for us to get tickets if there are other games on?

Or are the other games all outside of Melbourne? Meh...

They'll have at least 40, maybe even 50 people buy tickets for the NZ game.

Question: What has happened historically when ANZAC day has been on a Saturday?

Don't care about the NZ one. I do like there being an evening game in WA. 

Is there one in SA, is that the fifth one?

Question: What has happened historically when ANZAC day has been on a Saturday?

We‘ve come back to win when behind by 47 points in the last quarter.

Still my most re-watched game ever.

They'll have at least 40, maybe even 50 people buy tickets for the NZ game.

Now, now.  

Stop being so optimistic!

Verging on my dream an all day footy marathon

Exactly. If they start early enough they can host all 9 games consecutively at the MCG...fantastic

Not so good for the new turf though

Who gives a sh*t, we have the game everyone wants and cares about

The AFL in on a winner here.

The Kiwis deserve to honour their fallen too. So as part of that, they get a game, at a time that makes sense.

Once that game finishes, the main game is on as it should be.

Midway through the final quarter of that match, the twilight game in our nation's capital starts. Are people actually going to argue with not playing a game in Canberra before winter and be part of the official celebrations up there?

Then in the evening, perhaps spoling a fair few games of two-up, there are to be 2 matches.

One is the Len Hill memorial match Fremantle has done for many years on the Anzac weekend. Don't see too many people complaining about that. They do it well.

As for the other one?

Not sure.

Being on a Saturday gives the AFL flexibility in that in doesn't have to change too much in terms of fixturing matches on extra days.

You are aware that the Kiwis don't give a flyer about this game, or AFL in general? That without expats and freebie tickets, it's unlikely even the guy running the pie stall would turn up. And if you are going to play a game of football as some form of honour for your fallen, why would you insult them with a code they didn't play, didn't follow, an didn't give a fat rats clacker about?

Mate, I'm 'strayan and I don't even give a ■■■■ about the AFL anymore.