ANZAC Day

From Afl Twitter - Wall to wall football on anzac day this year with St Kilda and Carlton kicking it off - FIVE matches now on the day.

Going downhill fast

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-24/saints-blues-fire-up-anzac-day

RIP

edit; imo this could imply we will have players banned

Traditional rivals.

LOL at 22k in 2013 down to 13k this year, and they gave away about half of those tickets.

Footy at 11am on ANZAC day?

I wonder what changed the RSL's mind about that being disrespectful..

Back to the old days.

Remember however, Anzac Day is on a Saturday next season.

So it is understandable that a normal Saturday fixture would be the case.

They agreed on the proviso it not be shown on free to air, only on fox footy.

I think 5 games sounds too many and playing a game at 11am local time is rubbish. Even if the RSL agreed to it, the AFL shouldn't be putting them in that position. Just respect the day and play the footy after lunchtime. 

1 Like

I think 5 games sounds too many and playing a game at 11am local time is rubbish. Even if the RSL agreed to it, the AFL shouldn't be putting them in that position. Just respect the day and play the footy after lunchtime. 

If the game is in NZ, then it is already 1pm NZ time. So it's already meeting the RSL's 1pm requirement (or the RS and A as it is across the ditch).

Man how laughable is this getting? 5 games on the one day? what the fark?

■■■■ Carlton!

Losing me, this league. Losing me. 

Jesus, calm down.. as Pazza said, it's on a SATURDAY!

Who cares? Everybody is going to still only care about 1 game between the two biggest clubs in the AFL. 

SATDEE

as you were

There were 5 games on a Sat 12 times in the past season.

With the ditching of Mon night games, it'll likely be more times in '15.

If the game is in NZ, then it is already 1pm NZ time. So it's already meeting the RSL's 1pm requirement (or the RS and A as it is across the ditch).

Come on Pazz, that's a technicality. Local time is irrelevant. What is relevant is what time it is in Australia, where the overwhelming majority of AFL followers live.

We could find a country to play the game in the middle of the afternoon local time which coincides with the dawn service. Do you think the RSL would tick off on that?

Besides my point is it is more of a Mabo issue (it's the vibe). Just because the RSL gives you an inch doesn't mean you have to take a mile.

The AFL in on a winner here.

The Kiwis deserve to honour their fallen too. So as part of that, they get a game, at a time that makes sense.

Once that game finishes, the main game is on as it should be.

Midway through the final quarter of that match, the twilight game in our nation's capital starts. Are people actually going to argue with not playing a game in Canberra before winter and be part of the official celebrations up there?

Then in the evening, perhaps spoling a fair few games of two-up, there are to be 2 matches.

One is the Len Hill memorial match Fremantle has done for many years on the Anzac weekend. Don't see too many people complaining about that. They do it well.

As for the other one?

Not sure.

Being on a Saturday gives the AFL flexibility in that in doesn't have to change too much in terms of fixturing matches on extra days.

The Kiwis deserve to honour their fallen too. So as part of that, they get a game, at a time that makes sense.

Midway through the final quarter of that match, the twilight game in our nation's capital starts. Are people actually going to argue with not playing a game in Canberra before winter and be part of the official celebrations up there?

Then in the evening, perhaps spoling a fair few games of two-up, there are to be 2 matches.

One is the Len Hill memorial match Fremantle has done for many years on the Anzac weekend. Don't see too many people complaining about that. They do it well.

As for the other one?

Not sure.

Being on a Saturday gives the AFL flexibility in that in doesn't have to change too much in terms of fixturing matches on extra days.

You are aware that the Kiwis don't give a flyer about this game, or AFL in general? That without expats and freebie tickets, it's unlikely even the guy running the pie stall would turn up. And if you are going to play a game of football as some form of honour for your fallen, why would you insult them with a code they didn't play, didn't follow, an didn't give a fat rats clacker about?

#yearofthefans

As for the other one?

Not sure.

You are aware that the Kiwis don't give a flyer about this game, or AFL in general? That without expats and freebie tickets, it's unlikely even the guy running the pie stall would turn up. And if you are going to play a game of football as some form of honour for your fallen, why would you insult them with a code they didn't play, didn't follow, an didn't give a fat rats clacker about?

They could play Sydney & Freo - that game would normally be the closest to Rugby Union that we have in the league.

The only way to honor dead soldiers is with a football game...of course!