Apathy and lack of ferver in season 2014?

in the old days, the talk was more about a players great performance, highlighting the amazing execution of his skills and command of the game.

then it changed, and the talk became about the players not producing - this highly irritated me.

the talk now is not even of the game anymore which is even worse - because i don't care.

I will say, and I'd love others who have young kids to comment - I grew up loving the game to bits. I'd love to see my children grow up loving the game (and EFC - which they do, as they are currently to young to understand alot of this crap) but I myself don't particular have the care factor for the game that I used to.

And forgetting about the media and politics for a moment - the way the style of game is going, I believe it won't even capture the imagination of future generations like it did (etc in the 80s&90s). But at least the corporate boxes will be full and players will not have to find employment outside the game when the retire as they'll be able to hang on like leaches, and at least we'll have amazing tv deals that prop up the code, because more people will be watching the game outside Australia than actually live in Australia.

It's not a game anymore mate.

It's been/being pasterized,sanitized,manipulated  and compromised by those that seek to squeeze as much money from it as possible.

It's entertainment now.......and I'd rather watch Game of Thrones at the minute.

The 'Sorry Saga' has severely decreased my interest in AFL Football, not Essendon.

The umpiring these days and stupid rules are disgraceful. Can it be a coincedence that we are ranked 18th for frees for??

I used to watch every game I could, since I have Foxtel but now I can't because of reduced interest. 

I'm seeing a lot of posts regarding that EFC doesn't play well, they don't follow or watch the matches. Not for me, no matter how bad we are playing, I'm always screaming at the TV or at the umpires (:p)   

Im too caught up in the sorry saga today.

Essendons onfield performances of late have been disappointing, cant even say that at least we are playing well onfield as we aren't. 

But I am confident of a good showing against the swans this week.

But don't care about the rest of the competition.

I couldn't care less if the dogs/saints/north fell off the face of the earth or merged.

Am starting to watch more non efc games now though than the start of the year.

Too many sideshows, the actual sport feels almost incidental to everything else. It’s all about scandals, speculation about sackings and contracts, club and afl politics, supercoach, betting odds.

People get tired of this ■■■■ really easily and lose interest. I’m guessing crowds will continue to decline next year.

in the old days, the talk was more about a players great performance, highlighting the amazing execution of his skills and command of the game.

then it changed, and the talk became about the players not producing - this highly irritated me.

the talk now is not even of the game anymore which is even worse - because i don't care.

I will say, and I'd love others who have young kids to comment - I grew up loving the game to bits. I'd love to see my children grow up loving the game (and EFC - which they do, as they are currently to young to understand alot of this crap) but I myself don't particular have the care factor for the game that I used to.

And forgetting about the media and politics for a moment - the way the style of game is going, I believe it won't even capture the imagination of future generations like it did (etc in the 80s&90s). But at least the corporate boxes will be full and players will not have to find employment outside the game when the retire as they'll be able to hang on like leaches, and at least we'll have amazing tv deals that prop up the code, because more people will be watching the game outside Australia than actually live in Australia.

It's not a game anymore mate.

It's been/being pasterized,sanitized,manipulated  and compromised by those that seek to squeeze as much money from it as possible.

It's entertainment now.......and I'd rather watch Game of Thrones at the minute.

Not even entertainment. Its content. Thats what they were calling it when talking about games in Tassie. Need more/less "content"

Interesting post as I have been feeling jaded most of the year, a combination of how we are playing, ASADA, the AFL, the umpires etc.

Living on the Sunshine Coast I went to my first game for the year on the weekend and I can honestly say I have never felt so flat at a game Essendon were playing in. I used to well up when they ran on to the ground such was the emotion I felt for my team, My sons barrack for the Bombers and are one eyed as ever despite how we are playing or where we are on the ladder. I have to be up at 4.30 to go to work on Saturday morning so probably won`t even watch the game, I used to change a roster so I didn`t miss a game. Don`t get me wrong, I love my footy team but have to say AFL footy sucks at the moment. I will continue to buy a membership as will my sons because it goes to our club and not the money hungry bastards at AFL house.

Too many sideshows, the actual sport feels almost incidental to everything else. It's all about scandals, speculation about sackings and contracts, club and afl politics, supercoach, betting odds.
People get tired of this **** really easily and lose interest. I'm guessing crowds will continue to decline next year.

Great post. I agree that sometimes the footy itself "feels almost incidental to everything else".

For anyone here who is involved in a local club, you'll know that there is such more positivity surrounding it and there are genuine personalities involved. I know of many people who are now devoting more of their time and energies to their local footy team because of this greater authenticity.

Im liking footy more than ever, however this does not extend to the afl, my brother recently started u10s at his local club and is playing in their 2nd division, its great to go to the local club on a sunday morning watch some kids genuinely enjoy the game and have a crack.

My word he never shuts up when he gets a goal though!

Im liking footy more than ever, however this does not extend to the afl, my brother recently started u10s at his local club and is playing in their 2nd division, its great to go to the local club on a sunday morning watch some kids genuinely enjoy the game and have a crack.
My word he never shuts up when he gets a goal though!

Lol my young bloke plays under 14s and it's my favourite footy for the week. Love watching the kids have a crack and inprove

Will follow Essendon till the box whether first, last or in the guts on the ladder. Love the club and everything associated with it but don't follow anything else to do with AFL. Not new for me as I have always had that attitude. The difference is now I don't read, listen or watch the media as I did before because they are all bloated megolamanaics. 

Lots of apathy and discontent oozing out of this thread at the moment. Fair enough, but it might be time to pull the collective finger out if we want to call ourselves Bomber fans - it does look as if some sort of 'show cause' notices might be on their way and the players will need our support more than ever.

I’m a little distressed with the way were playing atm. It’s tough to get excited when we play such a bland style of footy.

If we can muster something against the Swans then well lift as a supporter group.

The points about the game progressively being more and more saturated in media are very good points I think.

Following football and keeping track and keeping up with everything is made so much harder in this current day.

Every minute basically of every day - even during the off-season, things are put out by the media.

And I mean anything from articles, videos, which you almost feel obliged to pay attention to as it helps keep you informed and up to date etc

But this process of following the game is taking more and more effort than ever before

Media MO 101. 

1. Overhype the next great player/bloke. (Use his nickname)

2. Desperately try to catch him out not being a great player/bloke. (Use nickname in bad pun for a headline). 

3. Return to point 1. 

I don't understand about the 'saturation' of the media with football. You don't have to watch it or read it. I came to bomberblitz in the first place to be saturated by Essendon football media. Being an Essendon website it filters out the other crap and found me all the fluff articles I required.

You contradict yourself. There‘s that much rubbish quantity out there (and that has never been more obvious than with FASADA and ever-present gambling and fantasy league “content") that it takes a hell of a filter just to find any actual quality material.

Still love my footy. Il watch our game and normally a saturday lunch game, saturday night game if and 1-2 games on a sunday, providing im home on the weekends. That’ll never change I dont think

I can understand why peoples interest has gone though and its understandable. But I still love the club, I look forward to our games each week. I am that bad, where if someone wants to do something on the saturday/ sunday day or night, eg go camping, take the dirtbikes out etc, if its when essendon are playing I will almost certainly not go. Infact, I couldnt tell ya the last time I missed one of our games. It’d be years.

Someone who can take a regular decent grab, maybe even the occasional speccy around full forward would boost my stocks. 

The boys are getting paid big bucks to play football yet they turn up for 1 qtr every now and again when they feel like
Haven't been to a game since North once I realised it was the same old half assed ■■■■ from the same players. If you're playing for the paycheque ■■■■ off, if you're playing to win flags stay. ATM I am not sure what some of these players are playing for, there is sure as hell some traded players showing more spirit and passion for actually winning games and the jumper than certain players who have been on the list for years and just seem to not give a f.

Saturation of football media is great if your team is flying, beating good sides and the players are playing positive energetic football with a clear state of mind, that's when you can't get enough of media, footy shows etc.

At the moment we are in almost the opposite situation, being saturated with murky, confusing and scurrilous innuendo creating a wholly toxic experience for those who love and connect with this great football club. It's no wonder a few people are feeling the effects of this prolonged anguish. FWIW I still find myself being optimistic with where the club is heading and have been round long enough to know that ■■■■ happens, time passes and we will recover and thrive again.

Just trying to gauge the zeitgeist in the Bomberblitz community at the moment. How is everyone feeling about this season?

Less bullish than I was at the start of the season, but still quietly hopeful.

How emotionally invested are you at the moment?

About the same as ever for Essendon matches. And I barrack pretty hard against Carlton. Other than that, I'm not watching as many of the analysis or panel shows as I used to. 1) There's not enough hours in the week, 2) They're all pretty much saying the same thing these days, and 3) Lost a lot of respect for a lot of footy "experts" over the way some of them have hung, drawn and quartered the red and black.  

How enthralled by the Bombers footy are you?

The patches where we play well are damn exciting, and really promising. The patches where we play bad footy is kind of demoralising. It feels like our best footy and our worst footy is further apart than it was last year. But maybe our best is slightly better than last years best too...

Is watching the Don's the weekend escape that it has always been?

No, but that has more to do with my personal life than anything else. Weekends are crazy right at the moment. 

Are you attached to the news coming out of the club during the week as you were?

Yeah, I think so. Possibly more so. However, it feels like the club is saturating my inbox at the moment. I do appreciate that they seem to be trying harder to make the fans feel like part of the club.

After the height of 'the saga' are we as supporters sensing the players are jaded and as such we are sharing that feeling?

I think the worst thing about it is that we were led to believe that copping the punishment last year would be the end of it, and that we could start this year fresh. To be a third of the way through this season and still being told our players could be punished (again) is really demoralising. It's hard to celebrate wins, when you feel like they could all be for nothing.
I think once the players are given the all clear, we will see a renewed spirit. Not only from the players, but from the coaches, the club, and the supporters.