Apathy and lack of ferver in season 2014?

Just trying to gauge the zeitgeist in the Bomberblitz community at the moment. How is everyone feeling about this season? How emotionally invested are you at the moment? How enthralled by the Bombers footy are you? Is watching the Don's the weekend escape that it has always been? Are you attached to the news coming out of the club during the week as you were?

The reason I ask is I know I am just struggling to 'get into' this season. I support us no matter what, always buy my membership and go to every home game and the odd away game but I have noticed a worrying degree of apathy towards it all recently.

I mean, our record of 4-4 suggests we aren't terrible so it's not like we are without hope on field. Is it the brand of footy we are playing- let's be honest is anything but thrilling. After the height of 'the saga' are we as supporters sensing the players are jaded and as such we are sharing that feeling?

Just interested in the community's thoughts.

Cheers and go dons.

The degree of apathy experienced might be directly related to the win / loss ratio.

I'm "into" the season as much as any other, and I know I'll get more excited by the season's prospects the more we start winning. 

Definitely not in the "meh" stage.

As heavily invested as always as I've always been a die hard supporter, but I can understand if some fans were like 'meh'.

ASADA news again at the forefront, and I'm exhausted from reading it and hearing it. I can see how your non-member supporters would drop off a bit.

The last 4 weeks of footy though have been really tough to watch from a style perspective, you can't always have a shoot out or a blowout win like Vs Carl, but it's hard to see us kicking 15+ goals against any side at the moment and that makes for tough viewing.

Can see the grand plan in place and that gives me hope, but I think a lot of fans expectations are too high, I really think this year we are an 8-10 side.

Still have some glaring weaknesses and I think our top 4 chances are 2-3 years away still.

Is there a 'cheer' drug they could inject us with?

My levels of excitement are proportionally tied to how excitedly the team plays.

it was always going to be hard to match last season in terms of emotion. there were so many epic games last year, so much hatred, so much energy and the team showed that on the field. i think it's a bit of a hangover tbh. 

The last 2 weeks has been torture and we won both games. If we keep playing with the same application my interest will slip. I really just want the players to play with passion and intensity and from beyond the boundary line it doesn't look good.

I also blame the AFL for their really rubbish fixturing this year. I don't just mean EFC games (ie Fremantle debacle) but across the board. Round One over 2 weeks did not work and now we have Monday and Thursday night football in the one week. It's difficult to really keep a strong interest when the whole competition is so disjointed.

Meh

I still haven't bought a membership or watched the Brisbane game.

I should get around to both, but ... meh.

Just trying to gauge the zeitgeist in the Bomberblitz community at the moment. How is everyone feeling about this season? How emotionally invested are you at the moment? How enthralled by the Bombers footy are you? Is watching the Don's the weekend escape that it has always been? Are you attached to the news coming out of the club during the week as you were?

The reason I ask is I know I am just struggling to 'get into' this season. I support us no matter what, always buy my membership and go to every home game and the odd away game but I have noticed a worrying degree of apathy towards it all recently.

I mean, our record of 4-4 suggests we aren't terrible so it's not like we are without hope on field. Is it the brand of footy we are playing- let's be honest is anything but thrilling. After the height of 'the saga' are we as supporters sensing the players are jaded and as such we are sharing that feeling?

Just interested in the community's thoughts.

Cheers and go dons.

I feel exactly like this and I'm not sure why.

I had the opportunity to go to the Dogs game (and a ticket), but decided I couldn't be bothered going in. I don't think I've ever chosen not to go in those circumstances before.

The whole season (not just Essendon) has been very flat so far.

At the moment I pick and choose the games. I didn't bother going to Carlton game because of the timeslot and probably won't go this week.

I still won't go to any games where I have to reserve a seat (have the Home game reserved seats already) apart from ANZAC day, due to the variable pricing.

I think alot of people, not just Essendon fans are flat this season. Crowd numbers are way down and they will continue dropping as well.

But as Riolio said, if the team is playing a good brand of footy then you get more involved. Currently we are playing appallingly with no sense of urgency or the slightest bit of excitement. If we were rebuilding then I could accept the way we are playing but really, we should be pushing for top 4 and we are playing anything but.

I'm still into it as much as always, although I will distinctly disengage if the sorry saga kicks off again, because I have no energy for it.

Despite the off-field stuff, last year prior to the fadeout was one of the best seasons in recent memory. At least 6 games that were up there with the best highlights of the last 10 years....  So far this year there is not much I will remember in a few years time, apart from the destruction of the bloos.....

I can’t say I’m feeling ‘meh’, I feel as emotionally invested in our on field results as ever.

I do feel a bit despondent with where we are at, both on field and off, and struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Some closure to this ArseADA bullshit would help.

I think there are a lot of factors at play.

At an EFC level there's the hangover from last year. We were removed from playing finals so that makes it hard to get emotionally invested again.

Also I don't really like talking about footy anymore, because of the inevitable "drug-cheat" comments, whether in jest or not.

Then there's the win/loss factor. Maybe it was just more enjoyable when we were in the upper echelons of the ladder? Maybe I'm already bracing myself for an ordinary season where we don't make the finals. Let's face it, we are only in the eight because we've played an extra game than most teams. Beating the swans is unlikely on form, and if we lose to the tigers then we've probably left our run too late.

Our games have been pretty ordinary too, Norf and the sCum games were okay, and the Hawks game would have been okay if we'd have won, but the rest have been rubbish, so aren't worth replaying. Last year I would re-watch our games all season they were so good. Now I'd be interested maybe in 1qtr every 3 weeks.

Also I REALLY hate the AFL, so my interest in non-EFC matches is at an all time low. Unless it's top 4 teams playing each other I just couldn't care less who wins.

The rules suck.

The umpires suck.

The MRP/Tribunal sucks. Completely corrupt and media driven.

Etihad sucks. It SHOULD be awesome but it just doesn't have a soul, especially when the roof is closed. Needs to be a sell out or it just feels like you're watching local indoor soccer.

Prices suck. Getting to games is expensive, even by PT. Reserving seats is expensive. Beer is expensive. I don't buy food there with good reason. Getting some loose change from a lobster after buying 2 light beers is gouging at it's best.

I'm really into it and doing my best to enjoy the games but gee they're making it hard for us.  Perfect example was the first minute of the Bris game, Ambrose and Hibberd sandwich a dude who gets a free, he then passes but Ambrose cuts it off and kicks a good pass to Daniher who goes back and sprays the kick :angry: That's followed by Carlisle's lovely tap over his head to Chapman who charges into goal and kicks a behind.  It's doing my head in seeing great little passages of play wasted by poor finishing.

I can't wait for the Sydney game, if we play properly we can beat them. IF

I'm "meh" about everything right now so I honestly couldn't say whether my "meh" about footy/EFC is because of anything footy related or just life in general.

Although I'm kinda excited about seeing some more VFL games this year, and I just checked the fixture and the ODFL is playing in Buchan this weekend and I'll be there so it will be good to see the Cavemen play again. I'm taking money on whether someone throws me a pair of boots or not... It's been a long time but I'm actually fitter now than last time I played... :)

I think there are a lot of factors at play.

At an EFC level there's the hangover from last year. We were removed from playing finals so that makes it hard to get emotionally invested again.

Also I don't really like talking about footy anymore, because of the inevitable "drug-cheat" comments, whether in jest or not.

Then there's the win/loss factor. Maybe it was just more enjoyable when we were in the upper echelons of the ladder? Maybe I'm already bracing myself for an ordinary season where we don't make the finals. Let's face it, we are only in the eight because we've played an extra game than most teams. Beating the swans is unlikely on form, and if we lose to the tigers then we've probably left our run too late.

Our games have been pretty ordinary too, Norf and the sCum games were okay, and the Hawks game would have been okay if we'd have won, but the rest have been rubbish, so aren't worth replaying. Last year I would re-watch our games all season they were so good. Now I'd be interested maybe in 1qtr every 3 weeks.

Also I REALLY hate the AFL, so my interest in non-EFC matches is at an all time low. Unless it's top 4 teams playing each other I just couldn't care less who wins.

The rules suck.

The umpires suck.

The MRP/Tribunal sucks. Completely corrupt and media driven.

Etihad sucks. It SHOULD be awesome but it just doesn't have a soul, especially when the roof is closed. Needs to be a sell out or it just feels like you're watching local indoor soccer.

Prices suck. Getting to games is expensive, even by PT. Reserving seats is expensive. Beer is expensive. I don't buy food there with good reason. Getting some loose change from a lobster after buying 2 light beers is gouging at it's best.

Well said.  

I find us a very frustrating team to watch at the moment.

The ASADA stuff is exahausting so I can only imagine how the players must feel.

Footy in general gets less enjoyable to watch each year. Too many rules/soft free kicks so I find myself yelling a the telly over umpiring decisions in games Essendon aren't even playing in.

I really don't look forward to footy season anymore - I look forward to the end of it. At the end of the day we watch football to be entertained, and at present it is not entertaining.

Through self preservation I am not getting too emotionally attached to this season until the sorry saga has an end.

I just don’t want to start believing in a season of potential until we know whether it is realistic or not.

Hence outside my two games I go to with mates every year who barrack for other teams I won’t be going to any more this year.

You guys are hitting the nail on its head…

AFL has made the product worse (soulless new teams, ridiculous timeslots, soccer-style play, etc).

But they are jacking up the price everywhere for said inferior product.

Need to wait for a result with all the other ■■■■ before I can get as fully invested as I once was.

It’s not the same as it was. All that ■■■■ plus ■■■■ ticketing, ■■■■ rules, ■■■■ MRP and the fixture is a ■■■■■■■ disgrace.

And so called “journalists” who think they are bigger than the game doesn’t help my mood either.