Are we cursed?

If you believe in curses then I guess yes.
I dont, so no.

1 Like

Shhhhh, keep it down in here. I’m trying to prepare a potion over the cauldron for Tom Browne.

Now where was I?

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder’s fork, and blind-worm’s sting,
Lizard’s leg, and owlet’s wing,

6 Likes

It felt like it was the “Curse of the comeback” game, as that’s when we started to get shaky, but I think you could make a case it was the “Curse of Dimma” or some such. I mean he was forced out of Essendon in the wake of the 2001 Grand Final loss. We were clearly a powerful club. He went to Port. We fell apart, but Port became a power club, topping the ladder the next 3 years, culminating with the 2004 flag, while Essendon disappeared into mediocrity. He then retired at the end of 2004, and we haven’t one a final since. Hardwick was involved in anotherflag at Hawthorn. We had the opportunity to lift the curse but instead chose Knights. Hardwick then took Richmond to 2 flags while we became a shtshow,

I thought perhaps surrounding ourselves with Hardwick offsiders might have lifted the curse, but apparently not.

5 Likes

Personally I think 9/11 was what did it. Suddenly it wasn’t cool to be a Bomber anymore.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I blame Donald Trump he’s to blame for everything really.

1 Like

we’re cooked

we will never be good. ever

15 to qtr time, only another 16 for the game, said it b4, very disappointing.

3 Likes

I remember thinking we were cursed when Long, Bewick and Long again did his knee 94-96, then when we lost the prelim by 1 point, then when Hird went down for 3 years, then when we lost by 1 point in the prelim again.

Geez, if only life was so simple where our curses were so minor and we were still a good team with top players.

1 Like

I still can’t figure out how he gets back onto his right there

1 Like

I met paddy Ryder’s brother that day walking to Docklands, had a bit of a chat, nice guy, then I had an awkward white guy moment and used the word mob in the conversation and felt weirdly self conscious about it.

You don’t think it was that do you?

5 Likes

Nooooooo.
No, of course not.
I mean…if Ryder was involved in the curse it would have shown up in some other way, wouldn’t it.

1 Like

Losing to Richmond in Sheedy and hird’s last Melbourne game feels a more likely candidate

2 Likes

I think the whole point of a sacrifice is that you offer something that has some kind of worth. Browne would just make matters worse.

7 Likes

Or perhaps recruiting Murphy, Allan and Campo. That was just inviting the devil in if you ask me.

4 Likes

When it’s all said and done though, I still blame Peter Jackson for cutting the football department budget when I go to sleep at night.

Kevin sheedy did curse the club when he left and said we wouldnt win a flag for many years.

1 Like

I don’t get why we’re still talking about McNeice.

1 Like

Cool thread. Insightful & compelling.

1 Like

I blame worsfold and zaka