Assistant Coaches

I think our coaching department is seriously under resourced.

How Skippy has lasted since the days of Knights I think only could be a testament to the turmoil the club was in at the end of last year.

Other successful clubs have specific coaches for:

Goal kicking
Stoppages
Key positions
Extra midfield coach
Ball movement
Extra development coaches for forwards, midfield and defence
Senior Assistant

We have combined the position of Head of Development with the VFL head coach this year, we do have at least one extra coaches who isn’t credited on our website, apparently Dan Jordan was added to our development coaching panel this year. The blurbs on our various coaches which were written after the last round in 2015 have Egan as the backline coach and Skippy as VFL coach. And whatever Mark Neeld does as Game Performance Manager is anyone’s guess.

I hope we have a well worked out needs based coaching panel for next year, but have been happy with Woosha, Harvey in defence and Bluey in the midfield. Lloydy admits he didn’t finish his job with Joe in 2015 as his set shot coach and that it was his ball drop that still needed work (said he identified 5 different issues 4 of which he thought he addressed).

I know there is a salary cap issue with the football department, but we need to develop more polish and precision with our ball movement and goal kicking this year, otherwise we can’t expect to climb into the 8 let alone the top 4.

I will make a guess,

For at least the first half of the year, Neeld appeared to handle all communication with the bench, and act as Wooshas game day right hand man ( literally and figuratively). As I recall towards the end of the year, Woosha began to make direct communication with the bench. Possibly that indicated a frustration with Neeld himself or just a desire to communicate more directly.
The Neeld role presumably is to be across the individual strengths and weaknesses of opposing players and the opposing team on game day and leading up to it. I presume that the Opposition Analysts report to Neeld who handles this facet, which changes every week and would be a very significant distraction to a Head Coach .

How Skippy has lasted since the days of Knights I think only could be a testament to the turmoil the club was in at the end of last year.

Goal kicking
Stoppages
Key positions
Extra midfield coach
Ball movement
Senior Assistant

We have combined the position of Head of Development with the VFL head coach this year, we do have at least one extra coaches who isn’t credited on our website, apparently Dan Jordan was added to our development coaching panel this year. The blurbs on our various coaches which were written after the last round in 2015 have Egan as the backline coach and Skippy as VFL coach. And whatever Mark Neeld does as Game Performance Manager is anyone’s guess.

I hope we have a well worked out needs based coaching panel for next year, but have been happy with Woosha, Harvey in defence and Bluey in the midfield. Lloydy admits he didn’t finish his job with Joe in 2015 as his set shot coach and that it was his ball drop that still needed work (said he identified 5 different issues 4 of which he thought he addressed).

I know there is a salary cap issue with the football department, but we need to develop more polish and precision with our ball movement and goal kicking this year, otherwise we can’t expect to climb into the 8 let alone the top 4.

I will make a guess,

For at least the first half of the year, Neeld appeared to handle all communication with the bench, and act as Wooshas game day right hand man ( literally and figuratively). As I recall towards the end of the year, Woosha began to make direct communication with the bench. Possibly that indicated a frustration with Neeld himself or just a desire to communicate more directly.
The Neeld role presumably is to be across the individual strengths and weaknesses of opposing players and the opposing team on game day and leading up to it. I presume that the Opposition Analysts report to Neeld who handles this facet, which changes every week and would be a very significant distraction to a Head Coach .

OMFG!!!
I can’t believe I have never noticed this!!!

1 Like
Choco Williams is available and seems to have done a good job. Could he be coming to Essendon as the prophecy prior to Hirdy & Bomber suggested with the "Don't make any plans..." thread?

He would certainly be able to help gleeson put on weight

Goal kicking
Stoppages
Key positions
Extra midfield coach
Ball movement
Senior Assistant

I will make a guess,

OMFG!!!

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/4mWUmF49Z.jpg

That photoshop is genuinely disturbing

Good thing they cut it off where they did then

So Melbourne interested in Egan after they lose a development coach. How interesting and not surprising. Let’s see which players he tries to take from our VFL???

Goal kicking
Stoppages
Key positions
Extra midfield coach
Ball movement
Senior Assistant

I will make a guess,

OMFG!!!

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/4mWUmF49Z.jpg

That photoshop is genuinely disturbing

No. Quite armourous really.

So Melbourne interested in Egan after they lose a development coach. How interesting and not surprising. Let's see which players he tries to take from our VFL???

Let’s take brett allision off them

this fkn thread. nothing could be more blitz than people having strong opinions about who should or should not be an assistant coach.

Who should we not pick up as assistant coach

Jarred Brennan
Only if he coaches with one hand.

What’s the sound of one hand coaching?

this fkn thread. nothing could be more blitz than people having strong opinions about who should or should not be an assistant coach.

Given the issues at Richmond, shouldn’t we be having this conversation.

Given the issues at Richmond, who shouldn’t we be having this conversation.

I know I’m wouldn’t be

I would like us to chase a out of game retiree this year, like say Bartel if he retires.

I would like us to chase a out of game retiree this year, like say Bartel if he retires.

Pavlich

One more hurdle for Skipworth

Caroline Wilson | June 7, 2009

HAYDEN Skipworth’s eight-year journey to 50 AFL games has seen him clear so many obstacles it seems cruel to imagine the most recent hurdle which almost wiped him out emotionally was based on an unsubstantiated rumour.

Skipworth doesn’t read newspapers, he says, so it was via word of mouth that he learned of the mounting speculation launched after his first senior game with Essendon in round-one — started in a rival newspaper — that his fellow players resented his promotion to the senior team.

“To be honest it really did cut me up,” Skipworth told The Sunday Age. “To get that said about you is the worst thing that can be said about a footballer; that my teammates didn’t want me in the team.”

The rumour widened to suggest that senior Essendon players were at odds with their coach. Skipworth was so shattered at the idea he might be in the middle of such issues that, according to coach Matthew Knights: “He virtually didn’t want to run out.”

“He actually had to will himself to do that, to play that week,” Knights said. “He didn’t come to me because he probably didn’t see me as the issue. To say your teammates don’t want you is a lot worse than the coach not wanting you.”

But Skipworth did not fret for long. Matthew Lloyd, Mark McVeigh and Jobe Watson repeatedly bailed him up over the following days and weeks to reassure him that the story, first reported in The Australian by senior journalist Patrick Smith, was not true.

Lloyd stood up at a team meeting and declared the perpetuator of the Skipworth rumours no longer welcome at Essendon while McVeigh took a different tack.

He told his new teammate that once he found out who has spread the story: “I could have first crack,” said Skipworth smiling, “and he could have second crack. He was pretty angry. I have never seen the team that united.”

Knights believes the scuttlebutt surrounding the team at the time has had a positive effect on Essendon’s season. “The players were quite aggressive about what was being said,” Knights said. “It bordered on anger that Hayden had had to go through that.”

Knights said Skipworth’s attitude to football made the story all the more ridiculous. “He puts other players ahead of himself constantly,” Knights said. “He’s very sacrificial to the point where I have to remind him of his own role and how it’s also important.”

Skipworth describes his football strength as an ability to read the play and humbly offers that he is not a bad mark for his size. His weakness, he says, is that he thinks too much and suffers unduly from stress leading up to games .

theage.com.au/news/rfnews/one-more-hurdle-for-skipworth/2009/06/06/1244234424265.html

To think there was a time when this was the worst thing that could be said about Essendon in a newspaper…

Egan off to Dee’s, why is it people leaving the bombers always poach from us afterwards!

So Melbourne interested in Egan after they lose a development coach. How interesting and not surprising. Let's see which players he tries to take from our VFL???

Ahhha! I flagged this happening. Welcome to Melbourne N Holmes.

Essendon - the breeding ground of coaches and players for mendicant clubs.