Assisted Dying

Conditional medically controlled death becomes available to Victorians as of today. You have good law makers over there.

11 Likes

But, But… mah bible!

You can cuddle your bible on the way out if one wants or seek assistance in a humane way. Choice. It’s a good thing.

Agreed.

As ever, I doubt you’ll find anyone on the pro-euthanasia side of the argument saying that people shouldn’t have a choice other than assisted dying.

Having watched a close relative take a good 5 years to die in a terrible physical and mental state, I think it’s a good thing that we now allow humans to pass with the same dignity we afford dogs.

8 Likes

Big issue is not the person dying I dont think, its the one who is doing the assisting.

If its OK by the doctor then I think its OK by me. I would like to see some sort of legal doco okayed by a lawyer as well. (including a review of the will).

I haven’t looked at the legislation but from what I’ve read and heard it is pretty comprehensive with many safeguards for the medical professionals and patients. Some have said it is too comprehensive but I personally don’t think that is a bad thing.

1 Like

Unless the patient is unable, I’m pretty sure that the dose is self-administered (I may be wrong, but last I read that was the case).

Also, two ways to look at that. What is more unfair-seeing someone suffer, or being able to end the suffering of someone? Given the current rules around it, you could argue that they get to be someone who enables their final wish. To me, that sounds very empowering rather than sobering.

1 Like

And I’d be fairly certain that doctors wouldn’t be compelled to provide the service, if they held incompatible views.

That is the case. And it may turn out to be a problem for people living in regional areas where only one doctor is available. My understanding is you need at least two to agree.

To me it seems like such a sane thing to do that it’s hard to comprehend why there is so much hand-wringing around the debate. Bravo Victoria.

1 Like

I’ve watched multiple loved ones be assisted to their end through ending of oxygen therapy, food and water. I know of many who have received a strong dose of morphein from a doctor.

We already do this, but we turn a blind eye and don’t look too closely as it’s not legal. I’m 100% supportive of giving people a dignified end to their life. Just having the option is hugely important to people in these predicaments.

Terry Pratchett was a huge advocate for assisted dying. He had a fatal dose of medication hidden in his home for when he decided it was time. He never used that dose, but the power it gave him over his disease was huge.

8 Likes

Exactly this! My sentiments to a tee.

1 Like

Yep. 15 years ago I watched my grandmother die of mesothelioma. Towards the end the doctors would come in and turn her oxygen down every so often. I remember my aunty asking if that’s what they were doing and they ignored her and left each time.

It’s what my grandmother wanted and it’s what the family wanted. Obviously it wasn’t something you could request but it had been spoken about.

2 Likes

The peace of mind that this service is legal and available is massive for dying patients. They now have some semblance of control.
It’s not available to everyone, but it’s a start.
The legal safeguards are comprehensive, so it’s not as if ghoulish family members can now pressure sick people to end their life just so wills can be accessed.
If a doctor has a moral objection to it, they aren’t compelled to ok the process.
The patient needs to be of sound mind and be able to make their own decisions.

This is a major progression in patient care and I’m fully supportive of it.

Go the Vics and may the rest of Aus follow!

1 Like

Going back two decades now, my grandfather finally succumbed to complications from diabetes exacerbated by multiple heart attacks.

He was in hospital for three days before it became very apparent that he wasn’t going to recover. He was a tough old digger, and expressed in no uncertain terms that he was ready to go. His exact words were “What are you all doing here watching me die, don’t you have jobs to go to? If one of you wants to be useful you can drive a man home so he can get his shotgun”…

He had a word to the doctor on his next round, and it was explained to him that what time was left to him wasn’t going to be pleasant, but that they would continue to increase his morphine dose “according to his wishes and pain threshold”. He then told us it would be a good time to do our goodbyes.

We did, and about half an hour later the nurse came in and asked how his pain was. He told her “unbearable”, and gave her a wink.

We all knew he wasn’t feeling a lot of pain at that moment, but he was going to, and he was motionless in a hospital bed with tubes running in and out of every hole in his body, unable to eat or drink, in a reasonably advanced state of renal failure.

The nurse cranked up the morphine. A lot. It took probably an hour all up, he drifted out of consciousness about half an hour in, and just whispered “see you in church”, which was his ironic catch phrase that he’d used all his life.

He died on his own terms, at a time of his choosing, and in a way that was so similar to how he’d lived his life, even down to the joking way in which he’d asked for it.

I’ll be forever grateful to that doctor and nurse. They allowed a bloke who valued his dignity and pride a great deal throughout his life to keep it in his death.

22 Likes

According to the ABC’s vote compass, 87% of people agreed that Euthanasia should be legal. 6% were unsure, 7% were against it.

2 Likes

What a shame that they had to break the law to do the right thing. It’s wrong and those professionals shouldn’t have to risk their livelihoods and potentially their freedom by doing what your grandfather wanted.

1 Like

They were an important demonstration at that stage of my life that acting illegally does not always equal acting badly.

Might seem like excessive mayo, but I reckon they’re heroes.

2 Likes

Medicos need to know that the law supports them so they don’t wear the moral responsibility of this ‘difficult’ task on their own.

Canadian show on SBS called Mary Kills People is a dramatisation of euthanasia, which is against the law there.