At the movies

Silence was meh.

I’ve found a lot of Scorsese stuff of the last decade has been mediocre.

John Wick Chapter 2 was very, very, very, very, very good.

Did they murder a puppy in this one, or maybe a kitten ?

Actually no, and they could've.

Is it as ■■■■■■ as the first movie.

Gotta be at least double the body count.

Thanks for the heads up, we will give it a miss. John Wick had to be the most gratuitously violent movie ever. Waste of two hours of my life, and I haven’t got many left.

This is how I felt about Kingsmen, but not about John Wick.

Kingsman was so tongue in cheek, but John Wick was just violence.

The Kingsmen was so over the top, it became cartoonish its depiction of violence.

Isn’t that what I was saying? You couldn’t take it seriously whereas John Wick had a big element of nastiness.

l guess so. l haven’t watched the first John Wick and very much doubt that l will bother watching 2.

Thanks for the heads up, we will give it a miss. John Wick had to be the most gratuitously violent movie ever. Waste of two hours of my life, and I haven’t got many left.

The Kingsmen was so over the top, it became cartoonish its depiction of violence.

Isn’t that what I was saying? You couldn’t take it seriously whereas John Wick had a big element of nastiness.

l guess so. l haven’t watched the first John Wick and very much doubt that l will bother watching 2.

Captain Jack they kill a puppy in John Wick !

Captain Jack they kill a puppy in John Wick !

Spoiler alert given previously. It’s only a movie, but it sounds fairly mindless stuff.

Just saw Split

Lead actor was fantastic. Really good acting.
Overall, I found the film (psychological thriller, so what did I expect?) disturbing but very good.
Wife hated it. We worked out on the way home that the only movies she is ever going to give a pass mark to are comedies.

8.3/10

I liked it until the end. Does the ■■■■■■■ director know basic story telling? its always 3/4s of a story? Did they finish highschool? beginning, middle, end. can’t just stop at the start of the ending.

So what would’ve been a 9/10 for me ends up being a 7/10.

Just saw Split

Overall, I found the film (psychological thriller, so what did I expect?) disturbing but very good.
Wife hated it. We worked out on the way home that the only movies she is ever going to give a pass mark to are comedies.

8.3/10

I liked it until the end. Does the ■■■■■■■ director know basic story telling? its always 3/4s of a story? Did they finish highschool? beginning, middle, end. can’t just stop at the start of the ending.

We saw it last Thursday. My wife is into horror, not l am not so this was as close to that genre as l was prepared to contemplate. She didn’t think much of it. Agree with the comments above. McAvoy does a sterling job, but the ending is something of a cop out. Perhaps they wanted to set it up for a possible sequel. 7 / 10

l was expecting something better, but l don’t know why, this is the same director who made dire bollockal Unbreakable, which really was Unwatchable.

Just saw Split

8.3/10

I agree with that.

Just saw Split

8.3/10

We saw it last Thursday. My wife is into horror, not l am not so this was as close to that genre as l was prepared to contemplate. She didn’t think much of it. Agree with the comments above. McAvoy does a sterling job, but the ending is something of a cop out. Perhaps they wanted to set it up for a possible sequel. 7 / 10

l was expecting something better, but l don’t know why, this is the same director who made dire bollockal Unbreakable, which really was Unwatchable.

Thank you, thank you CJ, (thought I was the only one) after being told it was great, left that movie thinking, what was that. Paint drying would’ve been a better watch.

I was given free tickets for that movie, now when offered free tickets I always turn them down.

Just saw Split

8.3/10

thought it was brilliant myself. Such a different take on the superhero genre. great story, interesting characters. Massive twist at the end. I would probably rate Unbreakable as Shamylan’s best film. Signs being just behind it. Village was pretty good too. I heard the ending to the 6th sense before i saw it, so i didnt really enjoy it that much

Just saw Split

8.3/10

thought it was brilliant myself. Such a different take on the superhero genre. great story, interesting characters. Massive twist at the end. I would probably rate Unbreakable as Shamylan’s best film. Signs being just behind it. Village was pretty good too. I heard the ending to the 6th sense before i saw it, so i didnt really enjoy it that much

Unbreakable put me to sleep.

Just saw Split

8.3/10

Ditto. It was utter rubbish, but I’d already picked that up from efc1robbo’s review.

Diametric opposites!

Just saw Hacksaw Ridge, wow.

Saw that one last year. Enjoyed the storyline, however got a bit sick of the over-dramatic/emotional-music/slow-motion drama scenes during the battle. It felt to me like Mel was saying “This bit is really inspirational! Check out how amazing this bit is! It’s really dramatic and heroic, so it has to be in slow-motion! Did I mention how inspirational this bit is?”.

Interestingly, the movie made it seem that the battle of Hacksaw Ridge on Okinawa was the first time they had been in action, but in reality Doss and his unit had already served in Guam and the Philippines and Doss had already been awarded the Bronze Star for his work as a medic under fire.

What a guy thou

Liked the real life interview at the end. “Just one more”. Amazing.
Just saw Split

8.3/10

Ditto. It was utter rubbish, but I’d already picked that up from efc1robbo’s review.

Diametric opposites!

marry me?

Saw T2 Trainspotting today and loved it. One of the better flicks I’ve seen on the big screen in awhile

Went and saw Hidden Figures tonight, the story of three black women who were mathematicians, programmers and engineers in the first manned US space missions.

The main two women were Taraji P Henson (Person of Interest and Empire) and Octavia Spencer, who’s been in a lot of films recently.

This was 1961-62 so the Civil Rights era was in its infancy, as were women’s rights. One thing that surprised me a touch was Kirsten Dunst as Mrs Mitchell (we never heard her first name) in a fairly senior supervisory role. I thought married women in the work force were frowned on a bit too.

Kevin Costner as the boss of the project’s mathematicians and Jim Parsons as the senior calculation man were also in the cast. I’m sure as Sheldon in BBT, the calcs would have been a doddle.

Good film about lots of groundbreakers in all sorts of areas, but the music in The Dish was a lot better.

Went and saw Hidden Figures

Good film about lots of groundbreakers in all sorts of areas, but the music in The Dish was a lot better.

I was a bit conflicted with the soundtrack. I’ve liked Pharrel Williams since his days in NERD so it was ok but not sure it was appropriate. I guess every 60s based movie was all about songs of the times and this was before the peace movement really got going so the music didn’t reflect the situation these people were going through re basic human rights.

Been watching the classics on Netflix.

Evil Dead 3: Army of darkness.

Full of great quotes

“Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I’ve got news for you pal, you ain’t leadin’ but two things, right now: Jack and ■■■■… and Jack left town.”

Arrival was amazing.

From Bond villain to Star Wars Villain.

probably a spoiler for some rock dwellers.

http://i.imgur.com/680Nk0f.jpg
Went and saw Hidden Figures tonight, the story of three black women who were mathematicians, programmers and engineers in the first manned US space missions.

The main two women were Taraji P Henson (Person of Interest and Empire) and Octavia Spencer, who’s been in a lot of films recently.

This was 1961-62 so the Civil Rights era was in its infancy, as were women’s rights. One thing that surprised me a touch was Kirsten Dunst as Mrs Mitchell (we never heard her first name) in a fairly senior supervisory role. I thought married women in the work force were frowned on a bit too.

Kevin Costner as the boss of the project’s mathematicians and Jim Parsons as the senior calculation man were also in the cast. I’m sure as Sheldon in BBT, the calcs would have been a doddle.

Enjoyed Hidden Figures. Thought Kirsten Dunst was a strange choice for that part. Unnecessary to have a ‘name’ actor. Actually detracted from that role, albeit a small one. Did make me very uncomfortable to see how segregation effected people, of all colours. We’ve come a long way. Needless to say, there is still much work to do. The fact that this story was unknown by most until now is testament to that fact.