At the movies

Didn’t like whiplash when I saw it, but then again i had been on a bit of a movie kick where the protagonists are a bit obsessive so probably just fatigued with the similarities.

JK simmons was amazing in Oz though.

That was a quote from a particularly tense scene. It was not a pun. I do not pun. I farking hate puns. The only thing I hate more than a pun is a friggin' endless chain of puns. I can just about handle a pun that has context, a pun within a point. But...'What about cymbalism?' No! What the hell is that? Is it supposed to be funny? Is there anyone on the planet that actually thinks that's funny? Oh, I know a word that sort of sounds like something to do with the subject, but is neither that word, nor anything to do with the subject! I must post it and give sensible people the sensation of having needles inserted into their eyes! Fark. Puns.

Are you working nights again

That was a quote from a particularly tense scene. It was not a pun. I do not pun. I farking hate puns. The only thing I hate more than a pun is a friggin' endless chain of puns. I can just about handle a pun that has context, a pun within a point. But...'What about cymbalism?' No! What the hell is that? Is it supposed to be funny? Is there anyone on the planet that actually thinks that's funny? Oh, I know a word that sort of sounds like something to do with the subject, but is neither that word, nor anything to do with the subject! I must post it and give sensible people the sensation of having needles inserted into their eyes! Fark. Puns.

It’s a stressful time for us all.
Apologise to puns for me, will you?
They probably have me on ignore now.

But… surely you know… it isn’t the puns that’s the funny bit… it’s ■■■■■■■ off those that hate puns…

I just realised you’re serious, I thought you were being punny.

Passengers

What a yawn. Chris Pratt is one of 5,000 passengers on a 120-year spaceship journey to resettle a new planet. All passengers are in hibernation and meant to stay that way for 119 years and 8 months. Unfortunately for Chris he wakes up 90 years too early due to a malfunction in his hibernation pod.

What ensues is a dull 1.5 hours of tedium as Pratt and later Pratt and Lawrence wile time away on their space cruise ship. There’s a laughable crisis sequence towards the end of the film but I’d lost interest long before.

This film could have been more interesting as it did raise an interesting moral dilemma. However, it can’t overcome it’s extremely thin story which is inexplicably stretched to 2 hours.

Puns are balls but I just enjoy partaking as it seems to really annoy people. Had I known you where one, well ok I still would have joined in.
This is coming from someone whose fav threads are brant colledge and what’s the biggest ant you never saw or something daft however. Still beats the entire sorry saga thread.

Went and watched Rogue 1 again last night. IMAX has a trailer for Dunkirk, it looks amazing

Yeah, that Imax Dunkirk trailer was awesome. The only place to watch it IMO.

Passengers just seems an attempt to get jlaw and Pratt in a movie together.

Went and watched Rogue 1 again last night. IMAX has a trailer for Dunkirk, it looks amazing

I agree that the best part of Rogue One was the Dunkirk trailer.

So I delved deep into my ‘to watch’ folder of collected films, and pulled out Ex Machina tonight.

I was impressed.
I hadn’t heard much about it.
It’s a psychological/character based kind of movie, with swirls of philosophical intrigue encased in multi-red herring wrappers.
Not a grip-your-seat action movie.
Thought-provoking.

8.5/10

So I delved deep into my 'to watch' folder of collected films, and pulled out Ex Machina tonight.

I was impressed.
I hadn’t heard much about it.
It’s a psychological/character based kind of movie, with swirls of philosophical intrigue encased in multi-red herring wrappers.
Not a grip-your-seat action movie.
Thought-provoking.

8.5/10

I only watched that recently (for the first time)…I really enjoyed it

I saw LaLa Land last night. Pretty good. It’s a musical, and musicals stand or fall on the quality of the music, the songs, the singing and the dancing, and on those counts it does pretty well. There’s one tune that’s very catchy and is repeated several times, and the songs are tuneful enough without being especially memorable, although I didn’t find any of them up to the quality of those in the hit musicals of the mid-20th century. The dancing was excellent, even that of the two stars, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, who also both sang pretty well. Ryan Gosling apparently played at least some of the keyboard parts himself, despite not having previously been a musician.

The story is good: two young people in LA hoping to hit the big time, who fall in love and face reality together, though in different ways, he being a musician and she an actress and writer. It doesn’t play out with the usual Hollywood ending, which is a refreshing change.

8/10

Saw Allied last week. Very good. A bit predictable but good acting from Pitt and Cottillard and great cinematography/CGI makes it above average imo.

Puns are balls but I just enjoy partaking as it seems to really annoy people. Had I known you where one, well ok I still would have joined in.
This is coming from someone whose fav threads are brant colledge and what’s the biggest ant you never saw or something daft however. Still beats the entire sorry saga thread.

Don’t mind puns at all. Then again l am in favour of most things that don’t try to take themselves too seriously, or provide a little light. comic relief. Most of the time find those threads too late to join in.

Whiplash? Started watching it a few months ago, never finished, so no comment. l will reserve judgement until l have seen the entire thing.

Ex Machina? Missed it at the time it came out, and still haven’t caught up with it.

Looking forward to Allied and Dunkirk. Love war movies.

Watched Blood Father last night, was pretty good. Unbelievable tripe but I like Mel Gibson, reckon it should have went half hour longer.

Went and saw Allied tonight. Pretty good.

Brad Pitt is an Allied agent who’s sent to Casablanca to meet up with French resistance fighter, Marion Cotillard, to cause havoc there and assassinate the German ambassador.

They do so, and return to England where they marry and have a baby. Then just before D-Day, he’s told his wife is a German agent and if it’s proven to be true, he has to execute her.

This is the film where Pitt’s psycho wife, Angelina Jolie, decides that Brad is being unfaithful with Marion which both deny.

Brad Pitt is an Allied agent who’s sent to Casablanca to meet up with French resistance fighter, Marion Cotillard, to cause havoc there and assassinate the German ambassador.

They do so, and return to England where they marry and have a baby. Then just before D-Day, he’s told his wife is a German agent and if it’s proven to be true, he has to execute her.

This is the film where Pitt’s psycho wife, Angelina Jolie, decides that Brad is being unfaithful with Marion which both deny.

… what did you think David? …

… what did you think David? …

Well, they didn’t have the moving camera, so I enjoyed it, Margaret. And it didn’t involve sport of any kind.

And it had just enough foreign language for Margaret to think it was a foreign film and really enjoy it.