At the movies

Tough task to only pick 5 movies

inception
the dark knight
gladiator
seven
first blood

WB looking at $100m loss from Justice League.

I just remembered how much I love Falling Down.

Anyway, then I spotted where I can buy a whimsical Whammy Burger t-shirt online…

…and I thought “I really should get me some of these funny movie-related t-shirts”. Wouldn’t something like this just brighten everyone’s day:

So many great moments in that movie.

I’m the bad guy?

You are in a movie and on your phone texting… WTF

1 Like

Wasn’t his sheer boredom & pure disdain for the film fare on offer clear enough in his post?

2 Likes

Just fkg leave, even if you hate the movie and everything it stands for shining your phone in a dark cinema is nothing but disdain for your fellow movie goers.

fk spend your time arguing with a hoyts/village min wagers about a refund if you want.

5 Likes

I don’t quite understand the hype for Inception. Reckon it was a concept way, way, way, overdone. Descended into silliness - in many ways chasing the Matrix - and continued into, The Dark Knight Rises. Don’t get me wrong, I love his movies, but there seemed a lack of critical reflection in the making and end product.

Movies around that time: Dark Knight (Nolan again) and No Country for Old Men (equally brilliant in their respective genres) really captured something - which in the end I’d summarise as nihilistic psychology, where everything is defined, and all actions justified by a - nominal - belief in ‘nothing’. Of course, the ‘nothing’ - which somehow incorporates chance, fate, synchronicity, circumstance, etc, - must be believed in, to justify the actions of either movie’s sociopaths. The thing ‘nihilisim’ provides both the Joker, and Anton Chigurh, is a philosophical position, and thus a justification to act and do anything they want - to kill - without compunction.

That’s the basis of an interpretation, anyhow. I’ll leave it at that. Think I’ve gone overboard.

(Edit: Please, please, please, do not remake, Memento. Following, was just as good IMO.)

2 Likes

Most rewatchable

Magnolia
Inception
The Thin Red Line
Last of the Mohicans
Heat
The Game
Ferris Bueller
Whiplash
Die Hard
Back to the Future
Goodfellas
The Shawshank Redemption
Groundhog Day
The Karate Kid
Out of Sight
The Breakfast Club
The Goonies
Jaws
Clue
The Godfather

How Tom Cruise didn’t win an Oscar for Magnolia is one of life’s great mysteries.

It’s rare that an actor completely inhabits a character like he did in that movie.

1 Like

“I´m quietly judging you” yeah brilliant performance by Tom…amazing cast

2 Likes

Heat, absolutley.

2 Likes

PTA is a master.

2 Likes

‘Synecdoche New York’, hasn’t had a mention yet. Amazing piece of work.

Edit: Sorry… I was sure it was PTA, confusing it with Magnolia, PSHoffman is so many of them. The Master was brilliant, as well.

The other PTA, and one that flies under the radar a bit, is Punch Drunk Love.

2 Likes

Synecdoche is a great film. Phillip Seymour Hoffman would have to be top 5 actors of the last 20 years.

PTA’s new film is coming out soon and is probably a departure from what he usually does.

Spike Jonze is somebody I would like to see make more films.

1 Like

Side note: Michelle Williams, is one of the best actresses of the last 25 + years.

1 Like

She’s very underrated that’s for sure. Has certainly had some great roles.

And to think she came from Dawson’s Creek.

When Phillip Seymour Hoffman said he’d ‘sharted’, that was the pinnacle of his career.

‘Rain drops!’

1 Like