At the movies

Yeah, I know that.
The film is awful though.
I was wondering if it was okay at the time.

The War of the Worlds
TOMATOMETER
85%
AUDIENCE SCORE
71%
Critic Consensus: Though it’s dated in spots, The War of the Worlds retains an unnerving power, updating H.G. Wells’ classic sci-fi tale to the Cold War era and featuring some of the best special effects of any 1950s film.

Eek!

Each to their own Wim, will first say I really enjoy watching old movies and more so if in black and white.

I liked the original War of the Worlds.

2 Likes

I won’t dump all over it, then.

1 Like

Watched Anon on Netflix. It’s ok but like so many Netflix movies it feels 3/4 done. For the source material there is not a lot of subtlety. Some of the plot elements and character connections are rushed. Visually looks great.

Expected a bit more from the pen of Andrew Niccols.

Maybe it’s a symptom of the way Netflix goes about originals. Churn out slightly better than average on a regular basis. People aren’t paying $15-20 a pop for these things so the bang for buck satisfaction is generally high. Every now and then they’ll hit an absolute gem.

Was listening to some tech market guy the other day saying it’s deliberate that none of Netflix’s stuff is intended to be good. It’s the strategy just to dominate streaming content quantity. If they produced less shows of higher quality it wouldn’t necessarily improve their financials. That’s the strategy anyway. And it explains a lot.

1 Like

It explains much in terms of their feature films. However on average the tv shows/series and documentaries that are netflix originals are very good. It might be the fact that we are in a bit of a golden age of episodic and serial tv. They know they have to compete with the likes of ScyFy, HBO et al or they just wont get any subscription. Feature films just become filler then.

I first caught up with Lost in La Mancha about 7 years ago in Zhuhai, during one of my DVD hunts. I picked it up, saw the name Gilliam and that was enough for me, as Brazil is one of my top 5 fave movies of all time. I thought it was going to be his version of Don Quixote, but was instead the sad chronicle of the troubles that beset his attempts to adapt that mighty novel into a film. So, l greet this news with great joy, even though it will take me a couple of years at least until l get a chance to see it.

Same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Saw an intense flick on SBS the other night called “Starred Up” that wasn’t a bad watch.

Starring Ben Mendelsohn, who didn’t really pull off his character IMO, … and none other than our own Conor McKenna, … (aka Jack O’Connell), who totally inhabited his.

Capture

If ever there was a Doppelganger, …

Did they just remake Gone with the Wind?
Apparently it set in Tullamarine and stars an actor by the name of Neeld.

Big fan of their documentaries. TV series, take of leave.

But for me, their pivot into comedy specials is/was a master move. I would think (especially for the smaller comedians) - it’s a cheap play and from the user experience - you are willing to try out new comedians to discover new talent

I am more likely to give an unknown comedy special a go vs an 8 part murder mystery series

He looks so familiar? What has he been in?

Watched the Hitchcock film “The Birds” last night. Really enjoyed it.like how they gave the time the develop the characters and tell the story before the craziness happened.

Some of the effects were dated of course, but thought it was very entertaining. Love the scene where the lady( who was very attractive) is sitting outside the school smoking and bit by bit the playground has more and more birds on it each time the camera pans over there.

Any other good Hitchcock films anyone can recommend? I have seen Rear Window and enjoyed that too

2 Likes

That’d be Tippi Hedren, … the one that Hitch was most obsessed over, …

Nth x NW is v good as is Vertigo. Rope,… Marnie with Connery, … I’ve always liked virtually everything Hitchcock though, so … any, really.

Good thing if you like them is, there are a lot of them.

1 Like

Vertigo is the best IMHO. It needs to be watched without interruption because it weaves a spell and draws you in. Kim Novak and James Stewart are sensational. The actual ending is a bit silly, but so are most endings of mystery stories.

Psycho is great if you haven’t seen it.

I always liked To Catch a Thief. It’s lighter than most of his, but Grace Kelly and Cary Grant make a great pairing.

1 Like

Have liked them all, my favourite made in 1940 (may be a bit far back in time for you) is Rebecca.

Am sure whichever others you decide to watch you’ll probably like.

1 Like

The Wrong Man is also excellent.

Henry Fonda is very good.

1 Like

Watched it not long ago for the first time. Great film. Love that shot in the school playground.

Awesome, thanks guys.will have to watch some of those

I forgot that one. Great film.

1 Like