At the movies

Cheers, thanks BSD! Tomorrow’s lockdown viewing sorted.

1 Like

Mrs S10 and I watched and liked The Stranger. Shortly afterwards, we were heading to Beechworth and started listening to the audiobook. Gave it up after about an hour, terminally bored.

Before I started, I didn’t recall the book but it is in my bookcase. Bits and pieces started coming back to me the further I watched. I don’t buy all the Coben books any more as I find a real sameness in the basic themes.

watched emancipation of harley quinn this morning.

so sick of movies where you think this is actually not that bad the second before you roll your eyes after someone screams the bad guys 20 feet back in the air.

yeah, that old chestnut.

The Meaning of Life was on TV today, and they get to this scene.

Thought to myself fk this sounds familiar. I was whistling it through the night and the girlfriend asks ‘why are you whistling the Roof Seal ad?’

Most likely a complete coincidence, its only a few bars worth, but the similarity is uncanny.

Late notice but one of the great British gangster movies is just finishing now on World Movies.

The Long Good Friday with Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren in an unusual role - she keeps her clothes on.

London gang trying to arrange a deal with the Mafia to redevelop the docklands runs into a few problems. Pierce Brosnan’s first movie role.

Made in 1979 by George Harrison’s Handmade films which made most of the Pythons’ movies.

Hopefully it goes onto On Demand.

1 Like

It already is:

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1718439491514/the-long-good-friday

Can recommend La Belle Epoque with Daniel Auteil. Typically relentless French comedy/drama, a bit improbable but good fun, he plays a washed up comic illustrator who gets a chance to relive the moment in the 70’s when he met his now estranged wife in a cafe. Intergenerational issues explored but not preachy, very nice to look at, a bit feel good but walks the sentimentality/cynicism tightrope pretty well.

Thanks I’ve been Roger Ebert

1 Like

l would like to see it again, it has been a long time between viewings.

Really good movie.

I agree. It was to be part of the French Film Festival. That got cancelled when all the cinemas closed, but I saw it at a preview. The opening 10 minutes or so almost had me walking out because it seemed to be nothing but confusion, but then it quickly settled down and became very interesting and thought-provoking. As you say, it walks that line between sentimentality and cynicism very well.

1 Like

The one thing lacking on Blitz ATM are ‘list threads’.
I’m thinking a Tom Hanks Top 10 Movies list.

shutup Killer Mike.

Who’s with me ?
I said…SHUT UP Killer Mike !

Im with the shut up people that want to shut up anti hanks movement.

He’s a dud.

He is a very good actor. He used to be very versatile. Now he just seems to go for the same sort of roles over and over again.

He used to be in some good comedies,now it’s seems like he only goes for Oscar style films

Blues Brothers is getting a run tonight on SBS at 8.30 .

Yeah, … why not watch it for the 49th time eh? … :smile:

He is the Adam McPhee of movies.

Watched the Ronda Rousey documentary last night…

I had to stop and start it a few times, it’s honestly pretty horribly put together.

LOL!!

After all that fking about, … Ep 1 is on SBS 2 Tonight!

Someone in SBS programming is a Blitzer?? :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah I just saw the ad :smile:

2 Likes