Aussie Rules Footy on NES (Out of Bounds... On the Full)

The original, and still the best:
http://game-oldies.com/play-online/aussie-rules-footy-nintendo-nes#

In fact, if you want to lose an afternoon, go browsing on this site. Heaps of games from most consoles between NES and Playstation 1.

I reckon it sounds like Gerard Healy

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink

I'm not sure I've played AFL2. Is that AFL live 2?

It is, and it was great before the online update changed it back to the previous version’s gameplay.

I was a gun at that game. Everytime I played my cousin I beat him. He would have tournaments at his house on school holidays with his mates and flog them all. When I played, I still beat him. Later in the holidays, they would have the tournament on a Monday and then I would just come on the Tuesday and play the winner.

There were heaps of bugs in that game but it didn’t matter. You could kick goals from 60 out on the boundary line (near side) and it would go straight through.
One match I was down by 4 points and had the ball about 55 out. Siren went and I was still able to take 2-3 steps to get within distance and kicked it. Went straight through the middle and it counted the goal so I still won.

Only two types of ruck work, either thump it forward or tap to the same team mate.

And then of course “OUT OF BOUNDS…ON THE FULL”

I wasted many an hour playing this game, something that I have never done with the newer AFL games.

I’m not sure I’ve played AFL2. Is that AFL live 2?

I think AFL2 was pretty much perfect, before they updated it and turned into the ridiculous tackle-fest that AFL1 was.
I’ve played one game since the update, since they deleted my career player and just f*cked the game.

Sure 2 needed to be more difficult, but not by making it a swarm again.

In that sense the NES version is better.
It’s always annoyed me that a computer game so similar to soccer is so ■■■■■■■ hard to duplicate.
It’s not like FIFA have five guys around the ball-carrier, dispossess you and p*ss off down the ground and kick a goal.

Yeah, I’ve said similar many times.

But I reckon it’s still true, in some respects. The simplicity of the controls (well, on an actual NES controller anyway), is still right up there.

I always wondered how that exact same game play would have gone with player names, stats, etc. And, with a more realistic way to kick goals

Even if it was international cricket style names. (J. dean, C. mcdirt, M. Sailor, etc.)

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @wimmera1 regarding QuoteLink
It's a lot easier with a proper controller.

Used to love pushing my Hawthorn supporting mate’s fullback under the ball and watch him lose his sh*t.
Good times.

Everybody knows somebody who was really good at that game, but my mate was right up there. Not only could he kick so many goals he’d reset the score (40 from memory), but he could beat people using the controller with his feet.

He once beat my ten goals and he could only run in straight lines.

Geez I played that game a lot, and Geez looking at it now makes me feel old.

Yup.
Nostalgia.
I once said this was the best version of Australian Rules put to a games system, and I believed it too.
Feeling a bit silly about that now.

A reply to: @wimmera1 regarding QuoteLink

It's a lot easier with a proper controller.

Used to love pushing my Hawthorn supporting mate’s fullback under the ball and watch him lose his sh*t.
Good times.

Everybody knows somebody who was really good at that game, but my mate was right up there. Not only could he kick so many goals he’d reset the score (40 from memory), but he could beat people using the controller with his feet.

He once beat my ten goals and he could only run in straight lines.

Geez I played that game a lot, and Geez looking at it now makes me feel old.

Well. There goes tonights plans.

Most nostalgic gaming sound of my childhood.

That, and the “howzat” off super international cricket on the SNES.

Get leg glanced for 6? “HOWZAT?”

I seriously don’t remember anything other than the clip mentioned in the OP.

It’s a lot easier with a proper controller.

Good times.

Never played it as a kid. Thought I’d give it a crack.

Final Score
Essendon 0.1.1
Fitzroy 20.11.131

I reckon we showed some promise.

Nostalgia has a lot to answer for.

Fun though.

From memory if you were about 50m out it was super easy to goal because the targeting bar thing was so small it would always sit on the middle.

I never told my mates tho

OOB… OTF - I still hear it in my head during games till this day in that deadpan voice.

DENNIS COMMENTATOR

I was never into computer games but do remember when this game came out though.

Had three mates that lived together for a short time who bought the game the very first day that it came out.

They played it day and night non-stop for about a
week even to the point where a couple of them would call in sick at work just so they could keep playing…farkin’ madness.

Quoted Post

Well. There goes tonights plans.

Most nostalgic gaming sound of my childhood.

That, and the “howzat” off super international cricket on the SNES.

Get leg glanced for 6? “HOWZAT?”

Super International Cricket … one of the greatest games ever … catch it from anywhere!