Australian Politics -- from 2022 Federal Election

@wimmera1 still waiting on response btw.

Was that Mansfield thing a question?
I don’t really understand it.

youre the one waiting here re: foreign policy responses from the much maligned conservative blitz (not mclovin), mansfield was just meth capital of central victoria for ages.

Ohhhhh, right.
Misread your post.

Yeah, I guess that’s not happening. Oh well.

2 Likes

good economic managers.

far out this is too easy cant wait for see these corrupt flogs voted in again by misguided fools

4 Likes

That’s a stretch.

Everyone got iobkeeper it wasn’t a discretionary thing.

Ah, not everyone. There were certain sectors that were expressly left out such as Public Tertiary Education (private did ok) and artists didn’t get much of a go either.

Unlike Robodebt, if you were overpaid or didn’t need it there wasn’t any need to return it either.

7 Likes

Nobody working at a University got jobkeeper. It was very much a discretionary thing.

2 Likes

And despite it being commonplace, using the windfall from Jobkeeper to boost exec salaries is the absolute antithesis of what it was designed to do - especially for a ■■■■■■■ charity

8 Likes

I received JobSeeker for a brief time early in the pandemic. Apparently I was overpaid a few hundred dollars which Centrelink have requested I repay. Perhaps I should ask them to take it out of Gerry Harvey’s handout.

18 Likes

It was a formula, linked to numbers on the payroll and turnover?.
But I wonder whether Guide Dogs did the equivalent of Gerry Harvey in making handsome profits from Jobkeeper.
Wonder how many Guide Dogs employs and the pay scales, including that of the CEO. Also did the CEO take a pay cut, as some others did?

2 Likes

But Wale claims that Australia should not have been shocked by the news when it leaked. He says he tried to raise the alarm, telling Australia’s high commissioner to Solomon Islands, Lachie Strahan, about the deal in August or September 2021. He said Strahan “took note of it and that’s the last I heard”.

So it seems the LNP knew of the Solomons issues in August, and of course Scotty did nothing. Like he always does.

6 Likes

Didn’t he say he had wind of it in August?
The issue is whether it was concealed from the Opposition, who have the right to be briefed, subject to confidentiality.
There was some LNP Senator ( I think Patterson) who said that either Wong shouldn’t be talking about if she had not been briefed ( as she wouldn’t have a clue) , but if she had been briefed, she should not be talking about it. Catch 22.
Also wonder if the information was shared with the US and others in the Five Eye. Traditionally, the US has left it to Australia to manage the former Island colonies , while it controls further northern Pacific Islands such as Marshall and Micronesia ( where it has some powers over foreign and defence policy)

2 Likes

I just watched Jason Clare’s press conference on the ABC. Very articulate and assured. He handled the media with such consummate ease. I think Labor are quite happy that Albo is not available.
It also gives voters the opportunity to see the other strengths of the party.

13 Likes

Each party nominates the day to day go to Parliamentarian for general media in the campaign on broader policy matters. Clare is the ALP nominee. Media lay off asking them detailed Qs relevant to a portfolio, reducing scope for gotchas and gaffes.

1 Like

“China plays by different rules” - Scomo, PM of Australia 2022

There was a time not so long ago when the average Australian might hear that and think “well maybe they’re smarter than you and you dropped the ball you dikk head”, and some might still hopefully but I imagine the effective dog whistle baked into that sentence will do the trick. They’re sneaky those perilous yellows. We never stood a chance.

2 Likes

Frydenberg and Chalmers confirmed for NPC debate 4 May.
Reportedly Foreign Minister Payne and Aged Care Minister Colbeck have knocked back a debate with Opposition Shadow Ministers.
Payne nearly always talks to a script at pressers and interviews, cuts off media Qs.

4 Likes

Job keeper really went to the wealthy 10% business owners / share holders.
yes some people kept jobs for a few weeks. but they still had to do work for it mostly.

most small business owners, were able to keep staff on for free, and then buy a new landrover as a tax writeoff.

some business owners gave employees bonuses…but a fraction of what they would have received in job keeper.

Some big corporations repaid job keeper as well - but only 5%

And then you have the cashflow boost which small businesses got if had employees on PAYGW.

3 Likes

Monique Ryan draws #1 on the ballot and Fraudenburg draws #7

Even the donkey vote is supporting teal in Kooyong.

6 Likes