Australian Politics -- from June 2023

https://twitter.com/10NewsFirstMelb/status/1666293017152745472?t=NxzGJzRFU_fyMiSS69LfPA&s=19

Get another job and extra hours. Solvee interest rate rise impact.

1 Like

These mother ■■■■■■■.

Honestly, how long.

2 Likes

Old mate Phil is certainly asking for a revolution. Get a better job, work longer hours? Coming from a smirking bloke that makes a million a year going to “meetings” making decisions that benefit him and his mates.

6 Likes

They’re ideologically incapable of doing anything that doesn’t favour capital over labour

1 Like

Also, cut out the smashed avo.

Or have they already done that on the advice of Fat Joe?

So when is this ■■■■■■■■ going to be held to account? He should be made to pay back all the taxpayers’ money that he has fraudulently obtained for himself and his mates.

2 Likes

Second job currently being heavily discussed in my family ……it’s getting tighter and I can see some major pain ahead for many

2 Likes

This is all pointless. We’re seeing the result of quantitative easing and all.of this new money is uncontrollable. Higher rates will do very little for inflation as the buck will continue to be passed down the line.

Also doesn’t help when the libs sold off every public utility. We pay the highest for power in the world. Fuel is still at record levels which affects everything.

Your dead right quantative easing means these interest rate hikes will do jack. It doesn’t hit at the core problem.

And yet here we go again years of liberal governments followed by recessions they create from previous policies. It’s happened to every labour govt elected since the 70s.

I hate both sides of politics. There is no progress in ideology. The mantra is what’s good for the party . Stuff the people.

George Orwells 1984 is coming true slowly.

We are closer to nuclear war than any time including the cold war. Those of us who are boomers or gen x remember how it was.

The scary thing is our kids millennials and gen z have no idea. They also don’t have the inclination to care about it.

They have been dumbed down to live their lives around til tok, and music that has no substance. There is no political music etc.

I really fear for the future of this country.

The mining tax could’ve set us up just like it has Norway. But scare campaigns by twiggy , Gina and abbot killed that

1 Like

Political music was a means for activism in days gone by. It had a time and place.

It’s been superseded by TikTok/YouTube nowadays. There is still a heap of political activism by the youth.

1 Like

That will always make my blood boil. Short-sighted greed, pure and simple.

3 Likes

Quite a few do, just check any university campus. Most political activism or discussion by youth is done online which can appear invisible if you’re not actively seeking it out.

Of course, I have no idea what the percentages would be but even if it is low right now, eventually there’ll be so many young people realising they can’t afford to own a home that they’ll be forced to pay attention.

1 Like

Kos Samaras of Redbridge has been analysing voting patterns by age group. He considers Gen Z to be highly influential, including in the last by election, that the LNP neglect them. He is worth following on twitter.

1 Like

mining tax could have done away with deficits…but can imagine we still would have wasted lots of $$$$ on other dumb ideas.

my politics ideas

• mini nuclear facility SA - test for aus, help with SA base load.
  • Grandfather negative gearing
  • no government funding to companies in the ASX 200. they do not need it.

This is a good start. I’d add to that list a super wealth tax or super profits tax ……tax the super wealthy more

2 Likes

Another misrepresentation. The DAndrews Govt has not banned advertising in the Hun or the Rage. It has shifted away from the print media to mainly on-line advertising as a budgetary measure. Vic Govt ads appeared on-line in the Hun today.

2 Likes

incorrect

there’s a huge groundswell of belief among young people that there is no future for them. there’s no activism to be done because it’s already over - no one can afford sht and we’re all going to die soon anyway.

instead of getting angry about it they just choose to live somewhat vapidly in the moment because fk it

2 Likes

There’s alternative perspectives, to the ones who have opted out. Those who are at the barricades in protests at the current order being bad, progress needed and concerns at erosion of democratic rights. They are exercising their votes , pressure to lower the voting age to 16 yo in a few countries.

2 Likes

Its interesting a lot of the immigrants and their kids have lots of drive.

kids these days are more questioning, - why do i go to school, what’s the point etc,

but they are also very happy to stay hom and play video games all day.

their is a bit of a shift away from going to uni also, with a lot of young people with $100k debts, looking at 7% inflation adding to it and not even earning $100k salary yet. And thinking how can i save a deposit or pay this off or get a house.

if your young and prepard to travel there are lots of high paying jobs that dont require a lot of training. its more moving away from family or fly in fly out etc.