Australian Politics, Mark II

I know I’m going back a long time but I know my old man voted against Hewson, not for GST, but due to industrial relation changes proposed.

I have nothing to back this up except gut feel, but I reckon if voting was not compulsory, then swinging voters and progressive people would just not bother, much like we see in USA.

So we would have more chance a being Trumped

3 Likes

Which train line do you catch? Just so I make sure I’m careful enough not to be on the end of one of your tirades because I don’t think you would have any hesitation letting anybody know the error of their ways.

Foxed?

I’ll put you down as a maybe for Howard.

6 Likes

Sadly, that is not true.

He lost his seat due to boundary alterations of his electorate, which changed the population demographic. This was combined with very canny ALP campaigning in that seat, targeted at the new demographic. Of course the swing helped as well.

2 Likes

Strong agree. Our media would also take on a (an even more so) US tone

1 Like

Come to think about, the Liberals would relish the opportunity to engage in some old fashioned voter suppression

2 Likes

Yes you are right, I would not hesitate telling someone to do the right thing, as long as they were smaller than me. No public transport where I live, but let me tell you right here, keep your filthy feet off the seats. Something your mother should have taught you, but never mind.

1 Like

So, if Phelps gets up, which looks likely, what happens to the government?

Can they still govern with the loss of the majority?

Yes they can rely on one of the independents which mostly represent conservative electorates being Katter, Sharkey, Mcgovern or Phelps to guarantee supply.

Getting policies through will be harder of course

Policies?

What are these things you call policies? I haven’t heard much about these for a while.

4 Likes

The biggest impact of losing Wentworth, other than the obvious, will be the embarrassment of losing the former PMs seat and losing much of the positive momentum of the ‘Nice Guy Scumo’ campaign.

Yowza!!

If things pan out as they’ve begun and appear they will, … this will be a kick in the jatz for ScuMo of such brutality, that they may never be retrieved.

Early doors, but currently coming in at about a 27% swing against.

And a swing away to the tune of 17% or something like that.

It’ll set the tone for the federal election.

Liberal party is FUBAR

LIB primary currently at 34%, … down from 62. Virtually halved if it stays on current trajectory.

Antony Green already calling it for Phelps .

ScuMo’s been put in the Cannon and fired directly into the Sun.

6 Likes

Wonder whether turdball is thinking scumo and the lieberal party can eat a bag of dicks.

If I was turdball, dont think I would want to go out in public for a few days cos I sure as hell wouldn’t be able to wipe the smirk off my face if I was him.

Reckon he’s already like, …

1 Like

Please let there be another leadership spill after this.

5 Likes