Australian Politics, Mark II

Slurpies!

1 Like

ā€œAustralians must guard against compassionā€
*Peter Dutton

:thinking:

Increase GST - 15% for now. That should make up the shortfall

It will also catch out those running a cash economy and those with tax structures that ensure minimal income tax is paid.

I think the government needs to revolutionize how we approach some of the benefits provided. I agree, with an ageing population, disperse location - we will forever be playing catch up.

Need to follow the Asian model of families looking after their parents - would love to see the idea of offering mortgage credits/refunds for families that look after their ageing parents.

He would have needed to look up the word in the dictionary.

3 Likes

Fixed

Yeah righto bring it in, ā€¦ make it fkn 20%, ā€¦ then make those on less then 50 k single, 80k family (Low Income HCC holders) GST exempt. No worries.

Fk regressive Tax regimes.

2 Likes

Tax all companies on the gross.
Boom.
Done.

2 Likes

The whole country pay an extra 5% gst to support the upper-class tax breaks.

No thanks. The Trickle down effect can f*ck off.

8 Likes

Frogshite

Actually go and listen to Bill talk, nothing weak at all about him.

Youā€™ve been saying this for two years.
Iā€™m sorry, Bill doesnā€™t meet people like me.
And if he did a walk through the hospital I very, very much doubt Iā€™d be impressed.
Iā€™m a Labor guy.
I vote conservative when the alternative is abhorrent.
I donā€™t know that Iā€™m there yet, but that doesnā€™t even matter.
Iā€™m theā€¦57th percentile.
And I think heā€™s a dead. set. dud.
Heā€™s Hayden without the charisma.
And heā€™s gonna lose.

As incredible as it is, heā€™s going to lose to the debt doubling, gay bashing, climate flopping, worker screwing, NBN farking mommyā€™s little rich boy.

Imagine if the Liberals actually had a likeable candidate.

3 Likes

When he commits himself, he talks well and powerfully.

But his party policies are weak. They have been p*ss weak against pathetic government. ALP have flip-flopped on so many social policies.

It doesnā€™t win you elections. We want vision. We want a Progressive stance on the future of the country. We do not want soft versions of NLP policies.

Just look at Victorian Labor.
Boom. Free Tafe.
Boom. First Indigenous treaty.
Boom. Passes euthanasia laws
Turnbull government cuts funding for Safe schools. Boom. Andrews government picks up the cost.

I could keep going.

Granted the Andrews party is in government, so itā€™s easier to make a statement.
But honestly what does the Shorten party stand for?

Iā€™m quite confused about this.
Because you seem to be a very Liberal person proposing a very Labor policy.

I sincerely hope that the ALP and Shorten win the next election, but seriously, whenever I hear his name and ā€˜leadershipā€™ or ā€˜principlesā€™ mentioned in the same sentence I think back to that interview he did when Gillard was prime minister, and he got asked about his opinion on some policy issue or other, and he basically said ā€œI agree with the PM even though i have no idea what she thinksā€. Hollowest of hollow men.

Careerist to the nth degree. Thereā€™s serious problems in this country which have to be addressed by visionary and major reform. I have no faith Shorten will do anything other than govern from newspoll to newspoll.

Say what you like about the libs, but they have the courage of their convictions. Their convictions might often be crazy mad, authoritarian, racist, and/or simply divorced from reality, but they push them through regardless. The ALP is run by riskphobic numbercrunching apparatchiks who have an eye and a half on their post-politics lobbying careers. And thatā€™s why every single policy in the country keeps drifting towards the libs preferred model. The libs get govt, go full extremist and implement an extremist agenda and get ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  who doesnā€™t like it, then eventually get voted out. The ALP gets govt, and they waffle and mess about and compromise and try to appease the racist bogans and the murdoch press who are never going to like them anyway, and achieve nothing of lasting consequence, then get voted out for being venal and muddled. At which point the libs start up with the IPA wet-dream agenda again.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a Labor policy?

There you go. I wouldnā€™t consider myself very liberal (even voted for Greens at a local election once, but I was young and stupid and they talked up biking infra)

I guess on tax I am libertarian? - give the control as to how you spend the tax as to how you consume. Not how you will structure/avoid your taxes.

Love a flat sales tax, super efficient way of collecting and auditing. Gives the tax payer the control of how they participate. I would also review the definition of GST free, to expand out.

I love the idea of if you go out for a steak at Nobu, you pay 15-20% GST- but if you purchase the raw goods from safeway and cook on the BBQ at home - itā€™s GST free. Free market

I love things like luxury car tax. Hate the idea of estate tax and the idea of marginal tax rates.

So yeah, not sure what party that sits with.

Explain how it is regressive?

As it stands most essential goods (and this should be extended out) are GST free, raw food, education, medical.

So how does that impact low income families? (Granted I said increase the tax free threshold earlier) - so more money in their back pocket.

It gives them more control of post tax income and discretion

Huh? Not sure if Srs.

Do you know what regressive means?

You jump up and down a bit on these boards, nice to make a contribution once and while

Iā€™m just seriously not sure what youā€™re getting atā€¦

Look up Is GST a Regressive tax maybe.

I suppose Iā€™m just assuming those posting in such a thread about these things know what they are talking about already, ā€¦

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s Labor policy, Iā€™m saying it sounds like Labor policy.

As to your GST and top tier tax reduction stance, this cannot possibly be the first time youā€™ve heard this, but I think the point stands.

Someone on 30k, or 50k, or very likely 100k, spendsā€¦not 100% of their net income, but whatever is left over after rent or mortgage.
100% of that.

Someone on 300k or more does not spend 100% of their income (minus housing).
They invest. They donā€™t get that 10% tax on that money, in fact they make a profit while those on lower incomes are paying. Effectively subsidising them.

So the GST is not equal to all people.
There are other more subtle problems with this, but I think thatā€™s enough.

And if we really want to get serious about a GST, then letā€™s cap the tax on alcohol and cigarettes to 10%.

Which would make smokes about ten dollars per pack, rather than between forty and fifty dollars.

6 Likes

I understand the definition.

I also said give the tax payer the choice on how/if they incur GST - based on what goods and services they CHOOSE to consume