Australian Politics, Mark II

What review are you talking about ? You just go off at such a tangent sometimes, that I am not sure what you are ranting about now.

Who is dirty and scummy ?

I don’t give a fark about deductions, and write offs, and any other rubbish, but any system that allows a huge corporation to pay less tax than the guy who cleans their office toilets needs fixing. That is just a joke.

11 Likes

Of course you chose probably the only company that has massive equipment expenditures (for all the jets they buy).

Why don’t you take a look at what was reported in that article, about a major cause being payments being made to other entities within the corporation?

Everyone knows that this is the major means by which these corporations evade tax around the world.

And: AAARGGGHHH! to you

1 Like

As is often the case the pertinent part of the article is in the final lines.
“Despite having to negotiate a larger upper house crossbench, Premier Daniel Andrews will likely find it easier to pass legislation, needing just three extra votes in the parliament compared to seven in the previous term.
To date all that Labor will commit to is an inquiry by the parliament’s electoral matters committee.”
Labor sought this outcome in their preferencing so this response is hardly a surprise. It is of course a concern to those progressive voters whose voice is being neutered by a party which is more interested in the donations of the likes of AGL than their supposed core.

That is a long way from being true.

In 2002 Steve Bracks had a massive majority in the lower house 61 of 88, and a strong majority in the upper house 25 of 44.

While I wanted them to get rid of the upper house, Bracks was determined to make it really democratic and reflect the vote of the people giving Greens and other proportional representation. It was noble and altruistic, but they got the method wrong.

I bet it is changed for the next election to make it more representative.

Obviously the micros and indies aren’t gonna support them, although the greens might considering they got rolled, would they get coalition support for assembly reform?

Labor have 18 votes out of 40. If they don’t support reform it won’t happen when 8 seats are micro controlled.

Greens and Reason party might give labor their vote, I don’t think either of them were impressed with the seats for money dealings

Greens should have got 4 seats considering their first pref vote and probably would have if Labor hadn’t kneecapped them. Labor conveniently forgot who the enemy were for short term gain. Meanwhile they happily picked up outrageous gains like Nepean on the back of progressive preferences who considered them the lesser of 2 evils, one of those green prefs was mine - I couldn’t vote my preferred AJP because they didn’t run a candidate. Meanwhile above the line Labor voters were inadvertantly electing looney right wingers as the lesser of 2 evils. Go figure!

1 Like

Labor and all Parties do preference deals to maximise their votes. It has nothing to do with ideology.

Greens are there own worst enemy, who have refused to work with Laboe on most issues. Labor owes them nothing.

In any case, Upper House voting method will get a reform as it is in the best interests of LNP.

1 Like

At the very least Labor owe them Nepean, and Hawthorn etc.
And the fact that Labor would rather work with Hinch etc is instructive of where Labor’s allegiances really lie.

Owe them nothing.

Labor works with whoever gets its agenda done, it is called Politics. Greens in the past have made deals and negotiated outcomes with Labor, and then reneged. I have negotiated preferences deals with Greens in our region to be screwed over at the last moment.

Do you think Greens lost votes because they are doing a good job? In Melton primary vote for Greens fell to below 5% from a high a few elections ago of over 10%, they actually came 7th of 12 candidates in primary votes.

I don’t like the bloke but At least Hinch stands by his word.

Liver transplant?

I met Hinch when he was campaigning here in the Marsh. He looks dead already.

Sorry, I was referring to his reported breaking of an undertaking to give up the grog to the family of the donor, not his life expectancy. If true it’s a fairly fundamental transgression for someone “who stands by his word”.

Never said he was a saint.

No, you said he stands by his word, at least presumably when he is sober.

It’s a lot easier to work with people who can be bought and Hinch can be bought.

Indeed, there is a very good reason the greens were pushing for a full transparency, fully resourced, full powered ICAC

1 Like

I really wish the general populace were even just a smidgen more financially/economically literate.

I understand the tax stuff can be complex and confusing to even an accountant let alone a layman but what really gets me is the way people think that sovereign debt is the same as household debt, and the Lie-berals have perpetuated this myth so much so that even the ALP are fixated with “balancing the budget”.