Australian Politics, Mark II

New report, …

"Top 1% make as much in a fortnight, as the bottom 5% make in a year"

All good,… lets give the wealthy massive Tax Cuts.

Country gets more like America every year under the Squiberals, …

Top Earners Get As Much In Two Weeks As Poorest Do In A Year
W3LiveNews.com
2 minutes

Hayden Patterson often has to choose between which of his crucial medical prescriptions he is going to go without each week. If he has $50 in the bank at any point, he’s happy. He recently started heating his Adelaide unit with a gas oven – he previously used an outdoor patio heater, but the fumes made him sick.

Meanwhile, a new report has found the top one percent of Australian households earn as much in one fortnight at the lowest five percent do in an entire year.

“It’s a struggle to do even the most basic things,” Patterson told ten daily.

“I can’t afford electric heating, my most economical way to heat my house is to turn the oven on. I make the most of what I can do.”

The Inequality in Australia 2018 report, from the Australian Council of Social Services (ACOSS) and the University of NSW has shone a shocking light on income inequality, revealing the top 20 percent of earners have five times as much disposable income as someone in the bottom 20 percent

“The reality of income inequality in Australia will come as a shock to many,” ACOSS said, and it’s hard to dispute.

“At the more extreme ends of the scale, people in the highest one percent live in households that have an average weekly disposable income of $11,682 per week, 26 times the income of a person in the lowest five percent ($436).”

Some of the more astounding findings of the ACOSS report include:

• The top 20 percent have five times the disposable income as the bottom 20 percent – nearly $4000 a week compared to $735 a week in 2016
  • The highest 20 percent of earners receive more than the lowest 60 percent
  • Most of those on the lowest incomes rely on social security including the aged pension or Newstart
  • Average net wealth per household is $936,000 – the top 20 percent of households by wealth own 62 percent of all wealth, while the bottom half own just 18 percent
  • The average wealth of a household in the top 20 percent ($2.9 million) is nearly 100 times that of the lowest 20 percent ($30,000)

“I’m absolutely shocked by those stats,” Patterson told ten daily.
“I’m well aware of the disparity but that blows my mind.”

There are also 3000 Australians in the “ultra-high wealth” category, with a net worth above $65 million.

"Australia has the fifth-highest number of people in the world with that amount of wealth, an extraordinary finding given our relatively small population," ACOCC said.

1 Like

Think you chopped part of the article.

1 Like

LNP part blaming superior Labor financial and people resources ( read Unions) on outcomes, but this does not hold for Sharkie in Mayo. And LNP saved a mint by not contesting the WA seats.

When Labor do win next year, I hope they do fix up all those things that need fixing.

Get rid of the corporate tax cuts and have a look at eliminating bracket creep.

Have Dutton and Abbott assassinated.

Fix up the Murray-Darling irrigation. ■■■■ Cubbie Station and other water thieves.

And I suspect that getting rid of the franked dividend refunds needs some tweaking. If it were up to me, I’d get rid of the tax-free after age 60 super pensions, and just make it taxable with a higher tax-free threshold. I’d suggest the threshold should be set at my annual drawdown plus $10K. Making it all tax-free was just a bridge too far. You could also eliminate the $1.6m pension fund requirement, so that some portion of the pension be taxed.

Bracket creep is really an illusion anyway. It’s mentioned this way cause people think when they go from one bracket to another their entire wages suddenly end up on the higher tax bracket.

Tax and how to complete a tax return should be a subject in school for one semester. Year 9 / 10 ideally when you are legally allowed to start working.

3 Likes

I’m with the assignation of Dutton, but let the north shore runt live and suffer not being able to do anything.

I cannot spell

1 Like

Either that or you want a secret tryst with Dutton.

1 Like

Ambulance response times are the best in nine years thanks to record Andrews Labor Government investment into our ambulance services.

Minister for Health and Ambulance Services today released the Victorian Health Services and Ambulance Victoria Performance Data for the March quarter, which also showed improved ambulance turnaround times in hospital emergency departments in the past three months, after the pressure at the end of one of our worst flu seasons.

In the January to March quarter, the data shows Ambulance Victoria attended a total of 66,225 time-critical Code 1 call-outs, up by more than 4,000 the year before.

Despite the increased demand, ambulances were arriving at the scene of life-threatening emergencies in an average of 11:21 minutes – an improvement of 41 seconds from a year earlier – and 1:44 minutes faster than the Liberals’ last March quarter.

Our paramedics are reaching emergencies within the benchmark 15 minutes, 83 per cent of the time – up from 80 per cent a year earlier and 75 per cent from when the Liberals were in Government – when ambulance response times blew out to the worst on the mainland.

Our record investment, reforms and respect for paramedics are ensuring the most critical patients are getting the care they need sooner, and lives are being saved.

Ambulance Victoria’s revised Clinical Response Model was introduced in 2016 to ensure 000 callers receive a response appropriate to their needs, and to improve the availability of emergency ambulances to respond to life-threatening emergencies.

As a result of these reforms, paramedics are now arriving at cardiac arrests faster than ever before, with a record number of patients surviving and a record number of bystanders stepping in to help out. Patients are being defibrillated within 9.2 minutes – one minute faster than last year – when every second counts.

In addition, our performance data also shows our hospitals are recovering from one of our worst flu seasons on record. Last quarter hospitals experienced record emergency department presentations, hospital admissions and a record number of patients receiving elective surgeries when compared to any other March quarter on record.

Hospital emergency departments treated 443,204 people last quarter – with 13,458 more patients being treated last quarter than at the same time last year, and a whopping 51,206 more than the last equivalent quarter when the Liberals were in government.

Quotes attributable to Minister for Health and Ambulance Services Jill Hennessy

“Our record investment and reforms mean more ambulances are arriving at critical patients more quickly and giving more Victorians the emergency care they need.”

“Victorian families can have the peace of mind that ambulances will arrive sooner when they have an emergency – and that our hospitals will treat the most critical patients first.”

“Under the Liberals, ambulance response times blew out to the worst on the Australian mainland and if ever given the chance they would once again cut health services and undermine our paramedics.”

news.com.au
Vic ambo, elective surgery wait times down
1 minute

Wait times for ambulances and elective surgery in Victoria are at a record low, the government says.

Between April and June, 83.8 per cent of code 1 emergencies arrived within 15 minutes, a 2.7 per cent improvement on the same time last year, according to Ambulance Victoria.

“When your loved one is sick, every second counts. These results aren’t just numbers - they’re saving lives,” Premier Daniel Andrews said on Tuesday, adding the numbers were at an all time low.

The government said elective surgery wait lists were sitting at 36,096 patients on June 30, also the lowest on record.

1 Like

park this vehicle in Apex Street

1 Like

Lol what high school students are gonna pay attention to that

1 Like

As opposed to all the other thrilling subjects they enjoy.

4 Likes

Financial literacy courses had to be introduced in schools to teach kids the basics of things like mobile, PC, credit card contracts and simple things such as simple and compound interest, “special offers” and so-called free data usage. They could relate to such lessons as users and learned how to compare offers . If they are working part time, the basics of income tax deductions would appeal to them.

3 Likes

Doctors prevail over Dutton. Hunt has agreed to amend My Health legislation to require a warrant for access by law enforcement agencies , capacity to have existing records deleted and longer opt out period.

5 Likes

I could sell that to a class of teens in 5 minutes, … have them hanging on every word …

So … Who here wants to be Rich???

“Johnny, this is how you write off the cost of your trip to the brothel.”

“Mary, this is how to pass your cocaine costs off as a work expense.”

Maybe it could work!

1 Like

We did tax at my school. I remember that was how I applied for a tax number.

2 Likes

Canavan, Christensen and Barnaby have effectively just pulled the rug out from under Friedandburned’s NEG. Joyce effectively demanded we withdraw from the Paris agreement or he will cross the floor. Canavan and his little mate are off to Japan to lobby for a new coal thermal plant while Victoria, ACT and Queensland have pretty much ruled out agreeing at COAG because it would amount to a blank cheque that the LNP could then modify in some kind of stupid way. Like increasing emissions by building more coal thermal.

But Canavan, Christensen and Barnaby are good blokes and try their best to represent their communities by lobbying on behalf of coal miners.

1 Like