Australian Politics, Mark II

Don’t let SMJ know you’ve never set foot in the kitchen :wink:

I don’t know if it would be most these days, … still alot though.

Almost all Melbourne plus inner burb homes had Gas everything since the mains went in and up to the 80’s or 90’s I’d guess.

Lol.
I cook sometimes, I just assumed a gas oven would also be connected to the electricity.
Which, now that I think about, is silly.

1 Like

A lot in the country are too. Normally off Gas bottles which I think is relatively affordable.

We’ll he’ll be on The news with CO poisoning any time soon then. In any case, gas rates are on the way towards electricity prices so yeah.

But any way, I detract from the main story so I apologise. The guy is in trouble money wise.

2 Likes

Yeah, …we’re on Bottles down here, … but it became the set up of choice to have Gas cook top, and electric ovens around the 90’s.

For good reason too, . it’s what I have, and what I’ll always have.

2 Likes

Are briquettes still a thing?

I remember growing up using those to heat the house. Big bags of them for not much $$

Only need to add one more element (greed) and you have their whole platform.

Vote for us and we will give you a tax cut or some other bribe.

Yep, I still get a few bags during Winter. A handful every load up make the Woodheater burn far more efficiently with the triple stage burn tech.

1 Like

I’d love to invest in a pellet heater for home, burn efficient as all hell and nice and easy to load etc. But I’m not a millionaire so can’t justify the price tag. So I’ll continue to scab hard wood where I can!

Yeah, … I near bought one about 10 yrs ago now I s’pose, … must have been when they 1st came about, … I loved that it would actually light itself on a timer so the joint would be warm when I got home.

It wasn’t the initial outlay that stopped me, though it wasn’t cheap, . it was the cost of the pellets, … that of course at that point could only be supplied by the same company, and were an outrageous ripoff considering they were made from waste shitt that would o/wise hit landfill.

A great idea (making use of waste to heat), … and possibly a bit cheaper to fuel up now after this long. Might have to look into it again.

1 Like

I haven’t seen a gas oven for years. With the way induction cooktops are going we may not see any gas appliances (in the kitchen anyway) soon.

Electric ovens and gas cooktops here…no gas bottles…town gas. Hot water is gas with solar backup, heating is gas.

I rather regret not choosing the induction cooktop option. I’ve had induction before, and apart from the wok issue, worked well. Apparently woks need heat on more of the surface than induction can provide.

Cant cook or boil a kettle for a cuppa on an Induction cooktop in a blackout mate.

And I’ve never seen an induction or electric wok burner that comes anywhere near Gas, … and you can’t scorch a Capsicum. nor can you get a flame grill going, … etc.

They have their good points, … but unless you can have both, …
Stick with the Gas, …

I do have a chiminea and a gas barbecue (bottle) that I could use in an emergency. Woks do seem to be the only place that induction falls short. I know Electrolux had a jobby that spread the heat around, but it was $300-odd last I looked. We’ve only had the one sustained blackout in the nearly 3 years I’ve been here, i.e.more than 5 minutes.

1 Like

We used to heat the kitchen in our sharehouse with an open gas oven, sit at the table drinking goon and slowly getting poisoned, by the gas and the goon. It was the best of times…

Being poor gets old fast.

3 Likes

Lol.
Reminds me of a meme I saw a while ago.

How poor was I?
Have you ever had sleep for dinner?

1 Like

Inaccurate.

Though electric is becoming more common.

Yeah we have induction hot plates and I just can’t get wok temperatures right. We have gas mains to our place and have a gas outlet plumbed into our pergola area which feeds our big BBQ. That has a couple of gas cookers on the side so for any cooking requiring a wok I will do that out at the BBQ. Also comes in handy for the frequent Adelaide black outs lol

I haven’t seen anything in Australia (that isn’t industrial) that provides enough gas jet burners for a wok anyway.

Have a look next time you are in an asian kitchen if you have a chance. There are about 10 / 12 burners for one wok.

If you’re turning the fire down on a wok your doing it wrong.