Australian Politics, Mark II

I think to put this into perspective.

Many people who are supporters of the Liberal Party, are protective of what they earn. They don’t want to pay an extra 2-4% tax on earnings.
The celebrations by these people cut deep, to many of us.

The bitter pill about this election for people who are struggling physically, mentally & financially… is that this election was the difference between life and death for many people.

So excuse us, for taking this election result with devastation… while those people doing well for themselves Pop corks of Champaign and laugh at the bludgers wanting to ‘leech of their tax dollars’.

3 Likes

Just a side note - why do you assume they would financially benefit from a Lib victory?

Also why is there this sanctimonious assumption that a persons self interest can’t also have the broader implication of being beneficial to the wider community? Why do you think its a choice of whats best for you or whats best for the community? If everyone votes for what they think is best for them then isn’t it logical that the outcome will be what the majority thinks is best - isn’t that democracy?

1 Like

When that bloke from a two income family without dependents was carrying on that he would have to give up his boat if Labor got in, I was helping out a single income family who earn below the poverty line, so that the child would not get evicted from child care… This is a family which does not drink, smoke or gamble, buys clothes from op shops and does not starve thanks to food bank. But a car is necessary for work.
NOW SCOMO, where is the promise of Australia for them?

11 Likes

You actually bought that stuff about the charity donation that was specifically about the tax credits, for years, before this was even a thing, from the lady with the million dollar share portfolio, huh?

3 Likes

I have no idea what you are trying to say .

Odd, seeing how it relates directly to ‘the sanctimonious assumption that people’s self interest can’t have benefits to the community.’

I assume you’ll be banking on a Gucci handbag led recovery from any budget issues.

His only words of wisdom is:
They should ‘have a go’

I still have no idea what you are trying to say. I quoted what I was replying to & you can clearly see Gnik assert that voting on self interest has to have a destructive wider impact - I questioned why. Not sure how you go from that to Guicci handbags.

I assume because you’re not actually reading the thread, werewolf style.

In the emergency room with my elderly mother who was brought in by ambulance after a fall who has had to sit in a wheelchair in the waiting room for four hours now because they don’t have any beds. But at least people can keep their negative gearing.

11 Likes

From what I’ve read this is just only the beginning - apparently there’s something like $A140bn in ‘interest only’ loans switching to P&I this year alone.

As compared to how much last year?

$140b does seem like a lot, but IO loans are used as much for bridging as hardship.

I believe up $40bn from 2018 if I’m reading the article correctly.

That also seems a lot.
Especially if lending overall is down.

40,000 more one million dollar bridging loans than last year…
Hmmmm.

No.
The majority of people don’t need the NDIS for example.

I think people need to past the idea that Labor ran a ‘progressive tax policy’

Nope, it was sloppy, made up on the fly and most importantly they had no idea what they were talking about.

Australians voted against policy that goes after people that have accumulated some form of wealth. Thankfully people support the idea of wealth accumulated and reject class warfare.

They want progressive tax policy, here is one.

Change the rules around the pension. I think most people agree that it is wrong that we pay a pension to someone, meanwhile they live in a $2million property. It would be really easy, say the family home is excluded up until the threshold median value of that state. So if you own a $500k house and the median in Melbourne is $650k, that is excluded from the asset test. If you own a $1million property and the media is $650k, then $350k goes towards your assets.

It is wrong, the pension is a safety net. Would rather the money go towards issues the above posters mention.

2 Likes

Ah we have the NDIS & a LNP Gvt . Again why do you assume that its a choice between whats in an individuals self interest & having community wide benefits like the NDIS? Can’t a family who has a child with a disability currently receiving assistant from the NDIS, also believe that a vote for the LNP is in the families best interest? Can’t that best interest also be a benefit to that child to provide services & help ensure a better future than the NDIS could ever provide regardless of who is in Gvt?

The problem with the ALP’s policies is that they were not a sniper shot at the “uber-wealthy”…instead, they were a shotgun that would hit a lot of the middle class as collateral damage.

The franking credit policy is my main example. Yes, it would potentially stop someone receiving let’s say $200k in franked dividends from getting their tax rate below 30%…the problem is this mathematical truth - the same policy would stop someone receiving $5k in franked dividends from getting their tax rate below 30%. That’s just lazy and unfair policy.

Secondly, I think the ALP needs to have a lot more sympathy for PAYG employees…These are the people that pay marginal tax rates up to 49% and carry more than their fair share of the tax burden IMO…meanwhile, a billionaire company owner like Gina Reinhardt will never pay tax above a 30% company tax rate. She simply won’t distribute income into her personal name. I don’t know how it ever became accepted logic that a human should be taxed at a higher marginal rate than a artificial entity that is a company. It incentivises all manner of unwanted tax structuring IMO. But the ALP are pretty much going along with it…I think a lot of people find themselves negatively gearing a property because they get jack of paying the top marginal tax rates.

Here’s one final policy suggestion…why not start with a policy that shuts down billions of dollars of bogus intellectual-property-type deductions by companies like Google et al…I don’t believe these overseas companies aren’t paying anything like a 30% tax rate on the cash they receive…if ALP had a policy like that, I think the WHOLE nation would support them.

6 Likes

I don’t think old ladies in tiny Collingwood houses should be forced to sell them to get their only source of income.
That seems a little mean, no matter how much their house is worth.

4 Likes

Would not have to sell, simply get a Reverse Mortgage. Very low risk product.

I am not sure peoples obsession around leaving a paid off property to the kids. Spend your money

I just don’t agree that people go cap in hand to the government for money whilst they have a $2million property - would rather it be spent in other areas.

1 Like