Australian Property Market

@wanderlust. Have a back up property that you like as well.

Don’t ever get sucked in to buying because someones convincing you there aint another one like it.

There nearly always is another one like it.

Oh for sure.

I actually just wanted to look at it because it seemed like good value for money considering the size and location.

Preference would be to wait until next year to buy anyway unless someone fantastic came along.

Just thought the conditions to inspect the property were a bit off.

Really appreciate the advice :blush:

Sounds like they’ve underquoted to get a bunch of people through, then pumped the price up.

It’s stupid, because the attract the wrong buyers from day 1.

2 Likes

Section 32. It should have the latest copy of title with any mortgages, covenants, 173 agreements, caveats etc. They should be able to email it to you.

2 Likes

The pause on mortgage repayments has ended. If the owner has a residential property portfolio with a few mortgages, there might be pressure to offload some asap
Others would know how the end of the mortgage pause would affect prices in different areas,

1 Like

I checked the place out online (theres only so many 3 bedroom 3 bathroom places for sale in Essendon :wink:!).

Looks nice.

Would attract a little of investor interest due to location. Are you looking it as an investment or too live in?

Ask for the paperwork.
They should be giving you ideal costs for council rates and water rates.
It may sound odd, but it may be tough to clear a good return on something like that especially if the house needs a lot of maintenance.
If you have the $$$ and the location seems okay, look at a knock down rebuild.
Put the right house on it and you might attract people willing to pay $1.4-1.5 mil in a years time.

1 Like

Haha I was going to say impressive sleuth skills!

First home buyers - which I wouldn’t be able to use with this property anyway.

Currently in Airport West and want to buy close by. Most prices are high 700’s to early 800’s.

But thinking, as mentioned above, that more people will be looking to offload their properties in the near future and the prices could drop more.

If it’s the town house I saw, ignore my recommendation.
That’s not a knock down rebuild.
It’s right near a train station so try to found out if there’s a lot of noise from the nearby train.
It takes some time to get used to that kind of noise nearby.

1 Like

House prices are away too bloody high. It’s to the advantage of everyone except investors and real estate agents if they drop considerably. I hope they do.

1 Like

There would have to be a lot of inner city owners looking to sell up and buy something out of the big cities with covid and working from home.

There was some consulting article recently suggesting city property bubbles may be a thing of the past due to noone really needing to live close to the business for white collar work.

(will also lower wages dropping peoples capacity to pay)

At the start of the pandemic, foreign purchases of residential property required FIRB approval.

The pandemic isnt causing a property dip in the US broadly… But I think the data is coming in on places like NY, LA and San Fran and prices are coming off.

Would make sense Sydney and Melbourne might suffer. They call it urban flight.

Perth looks set to go. Prices bottomed out, commodities prices improving.

1 Like

Commodity prices don’t improve life for WA workers. The big mines employ very few people. Most work is automated. The people making profits from WA iron are mostly shareholders in eastern states, London and elsewhere. Property prices are not going up due to the over-production of big blocks of flats providing accomodation near the CBD and the proliferation of crap housing estates replacing bushland for over a hundred kilometres up and down the coast.

There’s still a buttload of people employed in mining in WA. Just some of them live over here.

At the auction, set your limit and stick to it. Sometimes you can get caught up in the bidding and adrenalin can take over and you over-bid, this is what the agent is counting on.

Back to the OB, no what the agent is doing is not dodgy and simply their job. Keep the settlement terms in mind as a tactical ploy and if the house gets passed in and you’re the highest bidder then you can stretch out those terms as well.

FYI - I don’t think the agent can force you to get pre-approval, but it certainly is advised. If you buy a house at auction then can’t come up with the money you are in deep poo

1 Like

Wife and I have been looking to buy our FH in Sunbury for about 9months. We found a place off market with a guide of 590-620 from the agent. Generic reports from Domain and corelogic put the value about 570, which we offered with terms that the agent implied the vendor is after. The agent has come back and tried to tell us he won’t take the offer to the vendor because the price is too low. We told him it was our starting point and that we were anted him to present it. He told us that he couldn’t do it until after two other buyers had viewed the property this weekend and that he’d get back to us on Monday before lunch. We said that’s fine. He’s come back 5minutes later to say he’s bringing them the offer this evening. Wife is very worried we low balled too hard and have offended the vendor, but I’m finding that hard to believe. What does the hive mind think?

Get a buyers agent. Real Estate Agents work for the vendor always. They don’t give a ■■■■ about you. A buys agent is on your side and often has access to a lot of properties you wouldn’t see.

1 Like

That’s fair and we probably will next time, but I’m a firm believer in going through an experience before you avoid it in the future. If we miss out on this place so be it.

In 9 Months you’ve found one property?

1 Like