Australian Property Market

It is pretty great but after my wife has had multiple hip operations over the last few years, it is harder for us to keep on top of it the way we would like.
We don’t need to sell, we’re just curious as to what level of interest may exist

1 Like

If you’re going to sell up. It might be worth investigating if the overlays have changed or if there’s more appetite to develop.

You might be sitting on a gold mine

We had some developers recently carry out their due diligence and overlays are current.
Zoned future urban so future potential.
Would only sell if it was a financial win for us

1 Like

Any way you can you split it - sell off an acre or two with the house, hold onto a large chunk of the bushland for yourself?

At some point that land’s going to be worth squillions. Might be 5 years, might be 20.

1 Like

It is a thought but not something we’ve looked to deeply into

We are going to demo our place in Cheltenham (probably in Jan/Feb) and rent for a year while we build a new home, so we’ve been watching the sale of new homes in the area to get an idea of it’s worth.

A new build around the corner just sold for 2.08M. Comforting to know that what we are spending/borrowing will be worth it, but it’s a reminder of how out of control prices are getting.

This side of Cheltenham (North of Nepean Hwy) certainly isn’t one of the posh suburbs - or it wasn’t when we bought for 750k, 7 years ago. But even older houses are selling for 1.4M, units for 800k.

I guess my kids will be living at home for a long time (hence knocking down and rebuilding).

Not sure it’s a bubble either. Prices might flatten for a year or 2 at some point but I can’t se them actually dropping by much more than say, 5%.

Enough. It’s definetly a job for tomorrows @handypoint at the moment.

Thanks for the info about heights, really helpful.

That would be my inclination, if (at all) feasible. Split the difference.
Although I really have zero knowledge about how subdivision works.

property watchers does anyone know why the median price is higher in Hobart than it is in Perth?

The mind boggles. I’m mean I like Tassie, fantastic to visit but that or spending your leisure time at Cottisloe or Scarborough beach?

I’d much rather Hobart than Perth but each to their own.
From what I gather there is a massive housing shortage down here and new houses aren’t matching the rate of expansion. I have had a mate move down to Hobart for work back in March and wait list for rentals is enormous, the place he has now there were over 200 applicants and he is paying over $450/week on rent for a small unit in Bellerive. He looked at a few closer to his work and all $600+ per week

Also I think Air bnb has a bit to blame. Can make a tonne more money from mainland tourists, with a lot less wear and tear than a renter.

Even if it’s 5-10% of supply that’s gone, it’s unlikely to come back anytime soon.

4 Likes

Yeah I was just think surely the WA economy would support higher housing prices than Hobart. That and it has a pretty good climate Perth.

I had my property appraised only yesterday and it’s appreciated by a whopping 50% over the past two years in what is a hot market here on the SW Coast of Victoria.

Having lunch in Trentham; walked past Real Estate office and most houses over $1.2 million

Insane

Open house at one place and there must be 30 groups trying to get in

Insane

Should mentioned that it was 17C in the Marsh, it is 7C here

There is a hell of a lot more land in Perth and the govt likes giving more of it to property developers. Perth suburbia now extends pretty much over 150 km north-south along the coast. People buy up the coastal strip; those who can’t afford the beach suburbs then buy in the infill suburbs behind that.

Perth property prices basically have not got above 2008 levels. Bad news for those of us who want to get back to Victoria.

yeh hobart rentals were tough as city has naturally expanded but services/ housing has not.

Plus the majority of migrants that come to tassie end up in Hobart as bigger hub of people from own culture.

Air BNB put a squeeeze on the market again.

And the congestion in hobart is shocking as well.

I would almost say as people are selling investment properties new owners are main residence or air bnb.

Plus a lot of old housing commission houses have been sold back to public and for not enough new ones built to meet demand

Plus government is in Hobart and they are always trying to move more public sector jobs to hobart.

Rightyo makes sense.

So blue chip suburb wise Perth would have had a similar housing boom like the east coast perhaps? It’s just countered by a lot of infill?

The sorta stuff extra supply which brings the Gold Coast on the east coast back to the pack too(it’s gone nuts but has a boom bust market?)

No, the “Golden Triangle” suburbs of Perth have only now got back to where they were in 2008. This is according to a property valuer I spoke to a couple of weeks ago; I haven’t studied prices myself.

Cheers! Any idea what’s the rental market like over there at present?

No, only that rentals are supposed to be going up, but not sure how this compares to other states