Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 2)

Businesses are bums

1 Like

So we all get a public holiday if we beat England yeah?

That was one of the best Australian sporting moments I think I have ever witnessed. I work in a pub in Richmond and the whole place was absolutely packed for the match and the atmosphere was incredible. Great to see the nation get behind the women’s team and share their passion.

9 Likes

Sam Kerr said it best.

“We’re glad to get through to the last 4. We now have 2 games left regardless. We never want this ride to end.”

1 Like

People forget just how much of a buildup to that game there was. It was massive, there was huge pressure on us to finally qualify. Made all the bigger by the heartbreak of 1997 and 2001

That qualification really kickstarted football on a more national level in Australia. Without that qualification I don’t think the a league ever becomes as big as is got

4 Likes

I don’t.

It was the best sporting moment of my life. I remember partying until 5am after that match.

The losses to Scotland, Iran & Uruguay in World acup qualifications were all heartbreaking.
Buts now overtaken. Last night was the best sporting moment.

In Australia there seems to be more interest in qualification than winning actual silverware.

Still this one.

If they win it all though……

3 Likes

8 Likes

Yep, it meant so much. There was a door locked to us for the longest time, and that result kicked it down and ushered in so much for the sport in Australia.

The sheer drama and fortitude of surviving such an epic shootout last night, could be even bigger, more than just reaching the semis. I’d love for tens of thousands of girls around the country to now think - I wanna do that!

3 Likes

I think it was one of those games where you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when that penalty shootout happened.

I watched a replay the other day actually as there was a HD remastered version. The noise during the anthems was nuts!

1 Like

musovic twitter is bant fc

Another epic shootout in the Australia Cup (Formally FFA Cup)

Sydney beat the Mariners 10-9

I was just on the FIFA website watching the end of the shootout in different languages. Firstly, the English for the world market was way better than the 7 Plus commentary.

But it was the Italian commentator who slayed it, going nuts throughout, screaming “Mackenzie Arnold! Mackenzie Arnold!” So worth it.

5 Likes

Cadel TDF win
Bradbury Salt Lake Gold (although it was over damn quick)

1 Like

too lazy, link us

Not sure how to time stamp and set language in a link. Plus working off a VPN.

Wayne Gardner 1987

the arabic guy would be elite.

I can’t choose between Aloisi penalty in the qualifier for the world cup or Saturday nights shootout.

Both epic!

5 Likes