Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

I saw them at the Wollongong uni bar in the early 2000s. I’d never heard of them and didn’t realise anybody knew who they were.

The only thing I remember was some drunk guy there that kept yelling “Ice Cream!!!..F**k Off!!!” between songs.

Then the chick on guitar eventually said “Did he just say Ice cream, F**k off?”

'twas quite funny

Magic Dirt.

1 Like

Ricaine.

2 Likes

Dogbuoy

Oh man, Ricaine, I haven’t thought about them in years. I wonder if YouTube has any of their songs…

Antiskeptic! Oh man, I listened to one of their albums on repeat for an entire summer early 00’s I reckon…

1 Like

Very good question.
They were really popular with everyone on the old Living End forum
From wiki
In May 2012 Trivic broke both legs when he was struck by a car whilst riding his motorcycle.[49][50] Initially it was anticipated that his recovery would only take three to four months[51] however his rehabilitation took longer. As a result, the band went into an enforced hiatus until December 2014 when they recommenced live performances with a national tour to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the release of their debut album, Sound Shattering Sound.[52]
In May 2015 Gyroscope played a secret show at The Hen House studios to celebrate the Hen House’s 5th birthday. In February 2016 the band announced a one off show at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Bunbury over the Easter weekend. On 3 March 2016 the band posted a photo of reheasals on Facebook announcing that they are working on some new songs.

Another one (though not necessarily awesome) was that bunch of teenagers from WA(?) with a violin type instrumentalist chick (that my friend fucked in a car park at one of their gigs lol)
They had one popular song about a decade ago

Mouth

Big Heavy Stuff for sure

1 Like

Yeah Huxtons is one we missed.

“So This Is Paris” still gets a run whenever I’m on a Vinyl binge.

Always think of them along with The Stems.

-No Nonsense.( Massively popular as a live act in Melbourne early/mid 80’s)
-Spy vs Spy
-Geisha

Yes! Jaunita Stein was her name Rolo.

Got her band’s one and only cd that they put out back in those days and still listen to it occasionally these days.

Doughboy Hollow was the name of that album if I remember correctly.

1 Like

A couple of West Aussie icons that should’ve been bigger than they were…

Allegiance

Dave Hole Band

Funnily enough I was thinking of Trace.
It’s weird, everyone seems to have liked Died Pretty now.
‘Reasonably big’ is obviously difficult to define, but I’d think maybe a band like Pseudo Echo were reasonably big.
Two top ten albums* and a string of genuine hits (and one US hit albeit a cover).
I wouldn’t put Died Pretty anywhere near that.

*I’m assuming Autumnal Park(?) and Love An Adventure were both top ten and multi-platinum.

1 Like

Beaverloop

Waikiki (incl. Juanita) relocated to London and morphed into Howling Bells. They’ve released several albums. Bit more moody than Waikiki but not a million miles away.

2 Likes

Their self-titled album is a ripper. They last released one in 2014, didn’t chart anywhere unfortunately.

I largely remember Waikiki for their album art which was done by the then very cool Rinzen

2 Likes