Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

Cheezcake

Scarymother

1 Like

I’d forgotten all about them
Used to enjoy the spies.

Remember when they supported Faith No More. Good band.

1 Like

Offcuts

I saw these guys quite a few times, usually in small cramped venues.

They absolutely rocked the roof off Ruby’s in Belgrave one night (shout out to Ruby’s for all the outer eastern suburbs peeps), and saw them at the espy a few times too.

They had one sorta hit, but they never really translated well to being recorded, but geez they could play live.

Snowman. WA band that I really thought had something unique going on.

Cattle Truck
Perhaps only released one single, but it was a ripper. Can’t recall the title now.

Ok, released ay least 3 singles. I liked this one best, great back beat.

Nice brass work as well.

Are you talking about a band or just reminiscing?

Both, really.

1 Like

Strange thread thats obviously wide open to subjectivity. Is that even a real word?

If it is I’m throwing this out there.

On the world stage the most underated Aussie band has to be Cold Chisel.

2 Likes

You nailed it with the subjectivity comment. IMO Cold Chisel have to be the most overated band ever.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

P.S. That lead bloke in Cattletruck was a total primmadonna. At a gig one of the other band members played a bum note which nobody in the audience would have noticed except for the fact that he cracked the ■■■■■ and drew attention to it. Backstage afterwards (I was mates with one of the other band members) he continued to go on about it and prove to everyone what a douche he was.

Angels for mine.

Interesting take on the whole Underrated thing, I had thought about that myself.

From my era it’s Grinspoon (who I always thought were 90’s Chisel anyway) who I thought would have made it internationally. They had a sound that US College stations would have eaten up.

In fact, Silverchair aside, not many bands really made an impact overseas from that era, and Powderfinger, The Living End, Regurgitator and Spiderbait all tried very hard.

After Silverchair, I can’t think of an aussie band (plenty of pop artists did it) who made any real impact overseas until The Vines did it in early 2000’s.

2 Likes

You Am I for mine, Rogers was genuinely ■■■■■■/bitter for a while there over Jet’s success o/s

2 Likes

My view is often that we overrate average Aussie bands, and they don’t make it o/s because in actual fact they aren’t that good, and people are endeared to them here because they are… well, Aussie, and well, Triple J are really into them, perhaps more commercial radio too, and I can see them often at festivals and on tv here and such. They just aren’t presenting anything that people in other countries need to hear when their sound is already being done much better by a host of other bands.

In this category of bands I would put Grinspoon, Powderfinger, Jebediah, for 90s examples.

A band I think were a cut above, international level quality, had the tunes to make good inroads o/s but didn’t really would definitely be You Am I. The Living End perhaps, but they didn’t offer enough of a point of difference from the likes of Green Day.

1 Like

He had a point. Jet’s success was on the back of one song, and not a very good one at that. Compared to the quality and quantity of You am I - it’s ■■■■ in the wind.

2 Likes

I know they aren’t Australian, but you know, when New Zealanders are good at stuff they become Australian etc. so - I want to chuck Shihad’s name into the thematic mix. Their first two albums were incredible, and they were completely shunned, even in Australia. I went to watch them at the Evelyn when they were touring ‘Killjoy’, and there were exactly 12 people there. Was amazing - like a private gig, and had beers with them afterwards - but unbelievable at the same time. This was at the same time that they were touring Europe with Faith No More, at the request of Billy Gould. Then they tried too hard for acceptance, changed their name, went to the U.S and so on. After that they became pretty formulaic IMHO. If you get the chance, watch their doco: ‘Beautiful Machine’. Interesting document in terms of music and the music industry. In any case, they remain a fantastic band live - still have the first two albums on my ipod permanently.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s all pretty much right, although considering what was getting played late 90’s early 2000’s, I still think early Grinspoon was a sound that should have done well, particularly in the US.

Powderfinger never surprised me, and weren’t helped by being painfully boring live. (Although I think Bernard Fanning got a bit of Love in Britain as a solo artist.)

Tim Rodgers douchebagery must have hurt You Am I, because I agree, they had the chops to make it.

1 Like

I didn’t mind the first Pacifier album either.

And agree on the live bit, I saw them just a few years ago at the ■■■■■■ Ferntree Gully hotel, and they could still play. And (as I think I said elsewhere in this thread) really farkin loud.

2 Likes