Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

Must have missed your reference, sorry. I’ll go back and have a look. Great band.

(It still blows me away, that, in trying to break into the US market, they changed their name to the term in America for a baby’s dummy.)

It was an atrocious decision.

Pacifier is a great song… Terrible, terrible name for a band.

1 Like

Even when they changed their name still always referred to them as Shihad.

That early album Killjoy of theirs was awesome. The remaster was definitely needed though.

1 Like

They did change it back to shihad

A few minor bands that l doubt many here will have heard of.

1. Toads - as far as l know never recorded anything. They featured twin guitars, one of them being a young Martin Armiger (sp?) before he started doing movie / TV soundtracks, and Jane Clifton on vocals.

2. Easter - released one double EP, with a full picture sleeve. l bought it at a gig at one of their gigs at some little hotel in Richmond, near Alan Hamilton Porsche. l still have it, but failed to get it autographed at the time. They later became Not Drowning, Waving, but for a while David Bridie was in both bands.

3. Glenrowan - 4 piece country rock band from the mid 1970’s. Twin guitar set up, but again l doubt that they recorded anything.

4. The Fabulaires - had a semi regular gig at the Carnaby Inn in North Melbourne. They featured Greg Champion on vocals, before he formed the Couldabeens. A mate l have lost contact with was on guitar, Wayne Burt, who has played in many bands, including a version of Daddy Cool. The highlight of their set for me was not Rhinestone Cowboy, but Ghost Riders on the Storm. They released a 6 track, 12" EP / mini album, and IIRC it reached the lower rumgs of the local chart. They broke up shortly after that, when some of the band returning from a gig in Adelaide were involved in a serious car accident, which killed Jo, one of the girl singers in the band.

For the older Bombers.

Does anyone remember a group called Bluestone that played at DeMarcos Pub in Essendon in the early 1970s. Played mostly rock covers and have a very attractive lead singer named Dorothy Bull.

I still have very naughty dreams about her.

DeMarcos was the place to be Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights back then, though there was generally good live music at many pubs.

yah, although technically they were a kiwi band, but we’ll claim them anyway.

VOID was a great band in Perth around 2006 to 2009. They toured the UK and USA and made several albums.

Troy Roberts - tenor sax; Tom O’Halloran - keys; Dane Alderson - electric bass; Andy Fisenden - drums. For once there’s no bleeding guitar.

They did a great reunion gig in 2011 at the Charles Hotel in Perth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlTx8H04PQ

Cosmic Psychos - saw them a fair bit in the 90’s, still listen to them now.

Was DeMarcos John Coleman’s old pub or was that just urban myth.

Anyone mentioned the Johnnys? Had a great ep with Injun Joe etc,sounded similar to the Hoodoo Gurus with a more western sound

Bluestone were way too country for me.

I reckon John Coleman pub was he Union Hotel on the corner of Brunswick Rd and Union St, I remember as a kid it had frosted windows with pictures of John Coleman, I think anyway

Yeah maybe, but the Lady out front could sing and looked good to me, even before the customary ten pots before we all drove home.

Can’t remember Bluestone- but Thursday nites in the early 80’s was Rock Steady, with Joan out front, (Nikki Nichols a bit later on if you don’t mind).And that was after a good helping of Dean and Carruthers at the Linc beforehand…
And whilst I’m reminiscing, Paul McKay Sound at the Moonee ponds Tavern on a Sat nite, with Coxy behind the Kit.

“Lost Cause” by the psychos, seminal track, takes me back. But their style of music, look and their all round shabbyniess was always going to stop them from making it too big, despite being pretty influential in the early days of what we now call grunge.

1 Like

I believe Chisel refused to comply with some of the wishes of US industry execs (you got nothin i want) and hence closed the door on themselves internationally to some degree. Good on them IMO for not selling out.
While they don’t appeal to some, they certainly created their own sound and wrote some very good songs. Not sure that Australia has produced a more talented guitarist/singer than Moss (not that I like all his stuff by any means).
Certainly not underrated in this country though.

Anyone mentioned Screaming Tribesmen yet? I vaguely remember a great gig at the Tote around 1990 and a couple of earlier ones. Chris Masuak (Radio Birdman) was a highlight for a few years there.
Front man Mick Medew is still pretty active around Brisbane, to his credit.

Cosmic Psychos were hardly underrated though. Had plenty of recognition o/s, did big shows here, got clips shown on Rage often.

1 Like

Yep. Before my time to see live, but I they have some cool stuff. Not surprisingly some of those bands spinning out of the demise of Radio Birdman were also pretty damn good imo.

New Christs
New Race
Celibate rifles
Lime Spiders

All probably achieved success in the independent charts.

1 Like

Strange you mention Radio Birdman, … I was just thinking yesterday, that I didn’t recall them getting a Guernsey yet, … (this time around at least), & I should make a post to do so…

New Christs is one I’d completely forgotten about, and Lime Spiders, … still trying to remember if I’ve ever heard New Race, … ??

Did make me think of Hugo Race though, who’s new album is out soon, LONG DISTANCE OPERATORS which he has made with a Belgian Violinist, Catherine Graindorge, … & who probably more belongs in the “Obscure Music” thread, or the 'What Music" one, but ICBF… so here’s the first release from it.

You could file this one, & I suspect the Album under, the “Glass of Red, the Missus, and a fire” category …

A couple more tracks from it …

I s’pose some may say Hugo hasn’t received the acclaim he’s due, & could easily fit this thread, but I suspect he’s pretty happy with his lot. Multi talented fella, … also released a book not long ago.

If you’re not aware of or forgot him, …

2 Likes