Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

Spy vs Spy

Great band! F*** they rocked hard. I'd forgotten all about them.

Spy vs Spy

Saw Spy V Spy at the infamous Wildwood concert in the early 90's.

They had plenty of commercial support. Over here at least anyway.

Then... nothing.

Spy vs Spy

Then... nothing.

Still around - do a double with the Radiators. Had them here this year and they belted out some great Rock & Roll. Like me, they are old.

Spy vs Spy

Then... nothing.

Still around - do a double with the Radiators. Had them here this year and they belted out some great Rock & Roll. Like me, they are old.

Is Craig Bloxom still with the Spys these days?  Last I heard, there were two rival Spys treading the boards - one with Bloxom & Wiley (who couldn't call themselves V. Spy V. Spy for legal reasons) and the other headed by the second drummer (who came onboard around Trash The Planet time).  Somewhat along similar lines as the Angels and LRB (i.e. legal fighting about who owned the brand name).

Seems once they severed ties with Gary Morris & the Oils the Spys just disappeared unfortunately.  Harry's Reasons and AO Mod TV Vers were great records...

I saw a lot of the bands mentioned in here from the 90's while I was at uni and going to gigs all the time. Nitocris, Mark of Cain, Magic Dirt, Front End Loader, Motorace, Nokturnl, Sidewinder all did the rounds and had some good tracks but I never thought they were destined for greatness. Of those bands Magic Dirt probably rose above and I guess were appreciated more deservedly.

Ive mentioned them before on these boards but I still friggin love Tumbleweed. Good fuzzy hippy stoner garage rock with punk influences etc. Maybe they did get a bit of attention for a while (they made a few whole albums at least as opposed to some of the ones I mentioned above) but I think they deserved a heap more publicity (internationally even), their albums are still really good. Galactaphonic was an awesome album, probably my favourite.

Check out tracks like

Hang Around http://www.last.fm/music/Tumbleweed/Galactaphonic/Hang+Around

Or this one: http://www.last.fm/music/Tumbleweed/Galactaphonic/Nothin%27+To+Do+With+the+Weather

Spy vs Spy

Then... nothing.
Is Craig Bloxom still with the Spys these days?  Last I heard, there were two rival Spys treading the boards - one with Bloxom & Wiley (who couldn't call themselves V. Spy V. Spy for legal reasons) and the other headed by the second drummer (who came onboard around Trash The Planet time).  Somewhat along similar lines as the Angels and LRB (i.e. legal fighting about who owned the brand name).

Seems once they severed ties with Gary Morris & the Oils the Spys just disappeared unfortunately.  Harry's Reasons and AO Mod TV Vers were great records...

They were, but does anyone rate Trash The Planet or Xenophobia (Why?) ?

Spy vs Spy

Then... nothing.

Yes Craig is still with the band!

Spy vs Spy

Then... nothing.
Is Craig Bloxom still with the Spys these days? Last I heard, there were two rival Spys treading the boards - one with Bloxom & Wiley (who couldn't call themselves V. Spy V. Spy for legal reasons) and the other headed by the second drummer (who came onboard around Trash The Planet time). Somewhat along similar lines as the Angels and LRB (i.e. legal fighting about who owned the brand name).
Seems once they severed ties with Gary Morris & the Oils the Spys just disappeared unfortunately. Harry's Reasons and AO Mod TV Vers were great records...
They were, but does anyone rate Trash The Planet or Xenophobia (Why?) ?
Thought the production on Trash was weedy and the songs underdeveloped. Xenophobia's a decent listen though, esp side two.

I saw a lot of the bands mentioned in here from the 90's while I was at uni and going to gigs all the time. Nitocris, Mark of Cain, Magic Dirt, Front End Loader, Motorace, Nokturnl, Sidewinder all did the rounds and had some good tracks but I never thought they were destined for greatness. Of those bands Magic Dirt probably rose above and I guess were appreciated more deservedly.
Ive mentioned them before on these boards but I still friggin love Tumbleweed. Good fuzzy hippy stoner garage rock with punk influences etc. Maybe they did get a bit of attention for a while (they made a few whole albums at least as opposed to some of the ones I mentioned above) but I think they deserved a heap more publicity (internationally even), their albums are still really good. Galactaphonic was an awesome album, probably my favourite.
Check out tracks like
Or this one: http://www.last.fm/music/Tumbleweed/Galactaphonic/Nothin%27+To+Do+With+the+Weather

Tumbleweed currently touring? One of my favourite local artists from Facebook, Mr Frumpy this recent poster. Seen them a few times but they were always a support act, probably too much stoner for me.

The Dubrovniks, had forgotten about them. 

I saw a lot of the bands mentioned in here from the 90's while I was at uni and going to gigs all the time. Nitocris, Mark of Cain, Magic Dirt, Front End Loader, Motorace, Nokturnl, Sidewinder all did the rounds and had some good tracks but I never thought they were destined for greatness. Of those bands Magic Dirt probably rose above and I guess were appreciated more deservedly.
Ive mentioned them before on these boards but I still friggin love Tumbleweed. Good fuzzy hippy stoner garage rock with punk influences etc. Maybe they did get a bit of attention for a while (they made a few whole albums at least as opposed to some of the ones I mentioned above) but I think they deserved a heap more publicity (internationally even), their albums are still really good. Galactaphonic was an awesome album, probably my favourite.
Check out tracks like
Or this one: http://www.last.fm/music/Tumbleweed/Galactaphonic/Nothin'+To+Do+With+the+Weather

Tumbleweed currently touring? One of my favourite local artists from Facebook, Mr Frumpy this recent poster. Seen them a few times but they were always a support act, probably too much stoner for me.

New album, just downloaded it from iTunes, thx!

Skunkhour

This thread makes me a bit sad

Reckon today’s younger folks are going to be reminiscing like this in 10-20 years? About freaking hip hop, techno & crap country folk?

90% of these bands got AirPlay on jjj.

Wouldn’t get a sniff now. No-one cares about rock, right?

Reckon today's younger folks are going to be reminiscing like this in 10-20 years? About freaking hip hop, techno & crap country folk?
Wouldn't get a sniff now. No-one cares about rock, right?

On the contrary, this thread makes me glad that I was in my teens and twenties in an era when all these great bands were around and I could readily see them!  If I'd grown up with the music of today, where the likes of Lady Gaga and Pink are considered "edgy" and Muse and Coldplay are unit-shifters, I reckon I'd have lost interest completely. As it stands I've got a lifetime of memories of great gigs, and a CD/vinyl collection which I can cheerfully retreat into and ignore radio entirely...   

Reckon today's younger folks are going to be reminiscing like this in 10-20 years? About freaking hip hop, techno & crap country folk?

On the contrary, this thread makes me glad that I was in my teens and twenties in an era when all these great bands were around and I could readily see them!  If I'd grown up with the music of today, where the likes of Lady Gaga and Pink are considered "edgy" and Muse and Coldplay are unit-shifters, I reckon I'd have lost interest completely. As it stands I've got a lifetime of memories of great gigs, and a CD/vinyl collection which I can cheerfully retreat into and ignore radio entirely...   

Amen to that.

Testeagles ruled

Game over killed it for a short period of time…shotgun was a classic album

Liquid, unearthed band from canberra in 96 sametime as grinspoon…died off quick

There's still some ■■■■■■■ good bands out there, there really are. They just get (comparatively) buried. Have a dig around, listen to some community radio (everyone else has gone to a high-rotation playlist, including - to my eternal chagrin - JJJ), get out to some gigs. They're there, they always will be. Just not flavour of the month.

Amen to that.

Yep, definitely nothing naff or lame in the 70s/80s...

Donny Osmond? (cough, Beiber) 'Rollers are nothing like 1D, Pink plays the "I'm a tough independent woman" line that Madonna did a couple of decades back, Muse for ELO.... etc etc etc

http://musicofalifetime.wordpress.com/top-10-flashback/

Yep, all rough edges & original rock there...

And there always will be those types, because there's always that market & it's a ■■■■■■ big one.

Doesn't mean the good bands aren't out there, doing it their way.

I know you're grumpy, doesn't mean you need to be entirely cynical!

Every generation thinks their era was musically superior to the ones that followed. Most are incorrect.

The thing I think the kiddies of today will miss is great albums. There is still great ‘songs’ and music around, but the concept of the album is dissapearing

I think that depends on the band/artist, though

Some bands are still all about the album.

Some follow the single.

Others just want to get out there any way how.