Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

Oh and Saints are still MASSIVELY under-appreciated IMHO, at least here. Awesome back catalogue, really strong musically, huge influence on punk around the joint… taking it away from hair & clothes… And they were doing it from '76-77?

Hard Ons were great live.
Can't name one of their songs but went to see them several times none the less.

She's A Dish is awesome.

There goes one of the creeps that hassled my girlfriend
Wog food
Then she kissed me - they also did an Arabic version, on the B sides compilation, works really well
(Every time I hear) Techno (I feel like death)
Ripping band

Not wrong.

If they came to town you just had to go.

The Thought Criminals

Razar

The Victims

Choosen Few 

For those peeps into their old underrated punk in Australia. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi0kCMsMaiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrD6TSprWxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hETpUc4Vai4

H-Block 101, Game Over, Mach Pelican

Okay, some more minor / alternate / under rated bands. 

From the mid 1970's a sweet rocking little outfit called Glenrowan. l booked them for a union night when l was Activities Officer at dear old Swinny Tech. Good band live, but l don't think they were together long enough to record anything.   

Curious Yellow, l picked up an album Charms & Blues and a single Taken By Surprise / Let Go in 1990. 

Steve Hoy, a couple of bluesy / rocky singles, among them was a gem, Where l Come From.

Bhagavad Guitars, alternate band, one album Foreverglades on Red Eye, also from 1990. 

The Pony, another Sydney outfit, from around the same time, perhaps a year or so earlier.

The Dubrovniks, one album Audio Sonic Love Affair, also from 1990. 

More later as they come back to me. 

Mach Pelican

Ossutararian?

From the Inside…woops

Matt Finish?

1 Like

Matt Finish?

Yep, good little band, as were The Runners, another one l had not gotten around to mentioning earlier, again from around 1990. Put out an album with a great single on it, Endlessly. 

Matt Finish?

Yep, good little band, as were The Runners, another one l had not gotten around to mentioning earlier, again from around 1990. Put out an album with a great single on it, Endlessly. 

:lol:  Had a lot of fun with Matt Moffit back in the day. Top fella. Both rooting the same "publicist girly", and neither cared. Thank you for the fun Miranda Jetlag!

Lol, when I think back on it, Alex Smith from Moving Pictures snuck in for a while too!

Matt Finish?

:lol:  Had a lot of fun with Matt Moffit back in the day. Top fella. Both rooting the same "publicist girly", and neither cared. Thank you for the fun Miranda Jetlag!

Lol, when I think back on it, Alex Smith from Moving Pictures snuck in for a while too!

Your story reminds me a girl l was interested in, but my competition was too much to overcome, Mark Gillespie. l rate his single 'Only Human' with the mighty Ross Hannaford in superb form on guitar, in my top 10 Aussie singles of all time. l never stood a chance, but then neither did she, he was already shacked up with someone else. Gillespie's second album was also pretty decent. 

Matt Finish?

Your story reminds me a girl l was interested in, but my competition was too much to overcome, Mark Gillespie. l rate his single 'Only Human' with the mighty Ross Hannaford in superb form on guitar, in my top 10 Aussie singles of all time. l never stood a chance, but then neither did she, he was already shacked up with someone else. Gillespie's second album was also pretty decent. 

Nice album "only Human." I still listen to "Like Mercury" from time to time.

Mach Pelican

Ossutararian?

Well I guess the early stuff doesn't count, until they moved over from Perth.

Cunning Stunts - saw them at the Gold Coast mid 70s. Good band but a classic name.

I have booked Matt Finish to play on Friday 20/12 in Albury and I believe they are playing at The Corner Hotel the night after.

Bzark.

Blue oyster cult

Not Aussie - they're seppos

Cunning Stunts - saw them at the Gold Coast mid 70s. Good band but a classic name.

I have booked Matt Finish to play on Friday 20/12 in Albury and I believe they are playing at The Corner Hotel the night after.

I know Matt Finish still do the rounds from time to time, but it must be noted that Matt Moffitt (their singer and songwriter) departed this mortal coil more than 10 years ago, and none of the original band (bar the drummer) are current members...  To that end then, they're more a Matt Finish covers band these days sadly...  That said, Short Note and Mancini Shuffle are two of the very best Oz singles of all time...

I know Matt Finish still do the rounds from time to time, but it must be noted that Matt Moffitt (their singer and songwriter) departed this mortal coil more than 10 years ago, and none of the original band (bar the drummer) are current members...  To that end then, they're more a Matt Finish covers band these days sadly...  That said, Short Note and Mancini Shuffle are two of the very best Oz singles of all time...

You are right Baker. I like booking bands like this to judge how good/bad they are at this time. You would imagine John Prior would make sure that all of the music is reasonably authentic but I have seen some headliners segue from their roots (pop/rock) to jazz or blues and unless you are very good it just doesn't work. Will let you know!

Spy vs Spy

1 Like