Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

When does Generation Z start?

And after that? Then what?

Good question maybe they'll add numbers like number plates.

Was their ever a Generation A?

What generation was Jesus?

The problem isn't purely music or the bands or albums of this era.

The problem is that the mainstream has become awful compared to the 1990s and early 00s.

When I say mainstream I mean, music tv, radio etc.

The good thing about the 1990s was that it was probably the only time in modern times post 70s where bands that were considered purely artistic and talented had any chance of commercial success which meant the good bands made some money, music culture was way better.

All you have to do is go back and look at what MTV or Channel V were playing from 1993-2000 compared to post year 2000 to now.

As for Triple J etc. It's not an age problem. Its more that the music they choose to play is usually not very good, no matter how you look at it. Maybe once in every 7 songs they might play something interesting and good. But usually the problem is that the songs aren't very good. You get lots of groups who have style and maybe play instruments with some talent, but the songs just aren't very good and aren't very memorable.

Even the cheesy mainstream of the 90s, (whatever you consider that to be), maybe (Nada Surf, No Doubt, Everclear etc....at least they were good songs.

Even the pop/rock songs like "Two Princes", "Mr Jones" etc. hundreds of songs like that from lots of bands were commercially big hits, but at least they were good songs, with bluesy influences and a beatle-esque quality about the music, it all felt real and raw, exciting. Even the cheesy stuff.

If you take a look at the good releases of the year, then its been a good year for music, but hardly any of the good songs gets any airplay on any mainstream service these days.

Its just sad. Really sad. Anyone who remembers the 80s/90s would have to agree on some level.

Generation is growing up being conditioned by Glee and Pop Reality shows with a very rigid playlist of mainstream rock that is just really dull.

Luckily we have youtube to discover bands, but its not easy for people who don't know where to look.

But musically, culturally speaking, right now, you have to step right away from the mainstream, go to live shows, read music magazines, websites and find everything yourself. Which is a good way of discovering music.

Dig Music on digital radio has some good stations and Triple R has some exciting hourly programs.

(There were a lot of great albums released this year, but you wouldn't know it, because nobody plays the best new music in terms of rotational airplay)

I just think the lack of any genuine mainstream music culture is sad.

It makes you realise how lucky it was the Janes Addiction, REM and Nirvana amongst a few other bands in the late 80s and early 90s allowed for indie/alt rock that was good to influence an entire decade.

Who knows if that'll ever happen again.

I think they're calling them millennials (although they'd probably spell it correctly).
I'm not sure about the 'every generation' stuff though.
I'm happy to admit 87-89 were just...just awful, but the early nineties were brilliant.

4 or so years is hardly a generation gap, or a thoroughly new music era though.

I dunno.

I like Gaga better than the Spice Girls.

I’ve stopped complaining since I started listening to triple M. Turns out I’ve just been listening to the wrong station for a decade.

I think they're calling them millennials (although they'd probably spell it correctly).
I'm not sure about the 'every generation' stuff though.
I'm happy to admit 87-89 were just...just awful, but the early nineties were brilliant.

4 or so years is hardly a generation gap, or a thoroughly new music era though.
My point is that it's my era and I HATED the pop around at that time.
I don't mind the pop now.
There are always exceptions. You can mention R.E.M, but what I'm saying is I much prefer Gaga, Perry, Adele for that matter...to Real McCoy, Betty Boo, pre-Shocked Kylie, god...it was just awful.

Ah, sorry, I get ya now.

While I think you’re right in regards to the pop you mentioned, maybe if you were a 19 year old hipster right now, you’d downright loathe Gaga too?

Lol. Betty Boo. She wasn’t even doin the do

Ah, sorry, I get ya now.
While I think you're right in regards to the pop you mentioned, maybe if you were a 19 year old hipster right now, you'd downright loathe Gaga too?
Lol. Betty Boo. She wasn't even doin the do

Not sure if too many hipsters would have bought Unskinny Bop, but your point is taken. :)

RE: Mootsy 

You make some good points, although Matchbox 20 did exist in the 90's... Lets not romanticise it too much. 

But maybe that's it. There is still the top end music, the really really good stuff. And there is still teenage girl pop and 'radio-friendly' stuff. But what doesn't really exist is that sort of middle ground that was around in the 90's. The Everclear, Bush, No Doubt types, which wasn't awesome in any way, but could still be good to listen to. 

I think back then Rock was God, so even the so-so stuff could end up as decent rock. But these days, Rock is merely one of a number of musical genres, so the the next level down is far more spread out.

Or something.... 

All you people whining about music now need to dig deeper. Good music is still out there. Just not necessarily on the radio.

Agree with DHJ.

But I can understand with the way society and technology is at the moment, it’s less likely we will have those bands or albums that just change the status quo.

Me personally, I’ve changed the genre I listen to, and started working forward from some of the seminal albums and bands towards present day. That keeps me busy enough with out having to sift through the current limitless choices.

All you people whining about music now need to dig deeper. Good music is still out there. Just not necessarily on the radio.

Most definitely not on the radio....

Most definitely not on the radio....

RRR PBS say otherwise

Agree with DHJ.
But I can understand with the way society and technology is at the moment, it's less likely we will have those bands or albums that just change the status quo.
Me personally, I've changed the genre I listen to, and started working forward from some of the seminal albums and bands towards present day. That keeps me busy enough with out having to sift through the current limitless choices.

Ive been frustrated with modern music for a long time now, and just can't seem to get into any new bands or really enjoy new albums from the bands I like... but as DH suggests I haven't looked very hard (and Ive been given heaps of recommendations which I haven't followed up).

But I did start from the start with the punk genre and and then worked my way forwards where it became really blurry, and I found some good stuff that I liked though in the end the stuff I liked wasn't all that punky and the genre wasn't really for me.

I enjoyed the journey though, and I'll do it with other genres when the time allows.

80s/90s was definitely a golden age for bands, as in four piece bluesy rock influenced, alt-rock etc. so many bands to list that it's hilarious. It was a time when a better mainstream and underground existed.

Ever since the early 2000s you can see that the mainstream moved towards pop and r&b, it was blatantly obvious that really cheesy R&B was being marketed around 2002 onwards. Even before that.

Up until 2005 the mainstream was ok, there was some balance, it has gotten worse and worse since 2005, now look at the charts and cringe.

Aside from the mainstream, a lot of the good releases are from veteran bands. There are some good new bands releasing stuff.

We have Tame Impala, it doesn't get much better than that, but there doesn't seem to be as many good bands around these days, at least that are known about.

Who knows, maybe the later half of this decade, guitars, bands etc. will become popular again and more focus will be on craftsmanship in music again.

Pop is a bit hit and miss. Gaga is great, Del Rey is really good. But they are a few goodies in a pile of mediocrity.

80s/90s was definitely a golden age for bands, as in four piece bluesy rock influenced, alt-rock etc. so many bands to list that it's hilarious. It was a time when a better mainstream and underground existed.

Ever since the early 2000s you can see that the mainstream moved towards pop and r&b, it was blatantly obvious that really cheesy R&B was being marketed around 2002 onwards. Even before that.

Up until 2005 the mainstream was ok, there was some balance, it has gotten worse and worse since 2005, now look at the charts and cringe.

Aside from the mainstream, a lot of the good releases are from veteran bands. There are some good new bands releasing stuff.

We have Tame Impala, it doesn't get much better than that, but there doesn't seem to be as many good bands around these days, at least that are known about.

Who knows, maybe the later half of this decade, guitars, bands etc. will become popular again and more focus will be on craftsmanship in music again.

Pop is a bit hit and miss. Gaga is great, Del Rey is really good. But they are a few goodies in a pile of mediocrity.

I would suggest you don't actually know what r&b is.

I would suggest you don't actually know what r&b is.

How about what MTV calls R&B?

Rofl. Those muppetts try and tell you Beyonce is r&b.

It's hardly surprising that people seem to think that the music they listened to in their formative years was a golden era. Taste is subjective and is informed by the events and trends of your youth. Commercial interests have had a stake in manfucturing music for centuries, and not always for the detriment of the product. If you think that your opinion on music somehow has greater validity than the next persons, then I suggest you are missing the point. Besides, everyone knows that music peaked when Led Zep played Earls Court in 75!

Rofl. Those muppetts try and tell you Beyonce is r&b.

Exactly. In "every day" conversation, I'll quite happily say I hate R&B because 99% of the population assume it means Beyonce. The 1% that know better will be able to comprehend the clarification if it's required.