B-Sports - Essendon looking at NBL franchise?

Is there a way we could host games at the TVSC? I know it’s ridiculous but just trying to work it out as I agree with you. Surely even if we got Bogut to fund it for a part stake or something and build a rec centre sized stadium for 3 million even 10k attendance would be a good earn if we owned everything?

River Plate’s basketball team

3 Likes

Remember when AFL clubs thought it would be a good idea to set up soccer teams in the NSL.

This sounds the same, an absolute waste of time and money.

3 Likes

EFC have a lot of land to play with so building a stadium is not beyond the realms.

We’ll build our own, play NBL, WNBL, Netball, and e-Sports there.

And next to it, our 80k stadium.

Massive training facility and precinct for every sport.

One day. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

There is absolutely room for money to be made from a summertime sport.

Plenty of EGC fans could use something to do.

Parking? Public transport?

Minor detail :wink: When are they running public transport to the airport? #not

You guys should go check out a Melbourne United game. Larry Kestelman has completely reinvigorated the NBL to the point it is now not only a high quality league, but the stadiums are full and the product is really good.

It was an absolute joke a few years ago, but it is actually really really good now.

Great idea from HQ imo, I beleive it is the sport with the highest participation in kids by a long way in oz.

7 Likes

There’s an NBL thread?

I still get confused about which teams are NBL or Big Bash franchises.

Straight out the Gate a bombers NBL team would be a big draw especially with Bogut playing

I’d be all over it to be honest. I haven’t had a team since the tigers foulded.

Woman’s afl and gaming is great. But an NBL team makes money out the gate.

5 Likes

No, the well run clubs don’t. As most know I had quite a lot to do with the 36ers when I lived in Adelaide and they have always made good money. Even at the lowest point of the NBL the 36ers were getting near sell outs at the dome and running well in the black. They even own a couple of teams in the SABL. Averaged 1-2 million in profit most years

Hell, an NBL team Run by us would make more money than a few of the poorer AFL teams.

7 Likes

There would be so many admin savings by us running both, you’d have to assume there’s a great chance to run a profit

There seems to be a huge cross over in interest between NBA and AFL, makes sense.

So does the NBL actually have expansion plans in the near future?

Maybe Essendon can take on Essendon in a new hybrid sport?

I’d back Gill to come up with something fantastic.

2 Likes

I can understand the opportunity of having a franchise draw card like Bogut and interest it would create.

I just think we will have too many fingers, in too many pies, far too quickly.

I’m concerned about the real possibility over the next 5 years of having a mediocre AFL team, a mediocre Women’s team, a mediocre Pro-gaming team and a mediocre NBL team. Purely because we haven’t invested, concentrated and committed to each of these aspects.

Doing a few projects well is far more important than doing a lot of things a poorly.

2 Likes

That is certainly a legitimate concern

Collingwood have excelled in that.

2 Likes