Baby's First Trade and Draft Period 2017 Edition

Great work. Some suggestions/corrections:
  • Clubs do have to draft three players. The period where a rookie promotion counted was a temporary measure due to the introduction of the expansion clubs. So you do need to draft three players from either the ND or PSD.
  • Probably should add in that we currently have a "spare" senior spot, which allows us to take an extra rookie. If you're really keen, you could then explain nominated rookies...
  • Explain that rookie promotion during the year isn't permanent.
  • On AFL players nominating for the draft, you might want to point out that a team has to match the overall requirements of the contract, not necessarily the year to year components. So no front-loading/back loading to get to a particular club.
  • Add Father/Son rules
  • Add the timetable of events for the post-season (trade period, nomination dates, etc.). I'd steal this from Big Footy myself...

Did they change the rookie promotion thing this year, because as of last year rookie elevations still counted towards the minimum three selections. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-24/indicative-draft-order-your-clubs-provisional-picks-as-trade-period-unfolds

I currently haven’t included a lot of that in season rookie elevation stuff, but you’re right that it’s worth including.

Big edit made based on Ants’ suggestions. I haven’t included the rules for crazy stuff like what happens when you have to match a bid and it puts you into a points defecit for next year’s draft but you’ve traded out the future pick that this defecit would effect. The rules exist, but I don’t think anybody except the kind of wonks who are going to look it up themselves wants to know.

If this is intended as an FAQ, can simmo41's Law of Three Way Trade Suggestions please be included?

That’s “the number of clubs involved in a hypothetical trade is inversely proportional to the odds of it actually happening”?

Much simpler than that.

“All trade suggestions involving three or more clubs are stupid, unreasonable, unrealistic and should never be entertained.”

Great write up.

So we don’t have to make a big song and dance about Kelly and Dea being in the National Draft because they’e just automatically in it?

2 things:

I didn’t think 2 years were mandatory for all NDs anymore? I swear we signed Brown for an extra year this pre-season then when people asked “why tf would we do that 2 mths and 0 games after drafting him if we have him for 2 years guaranteed anyway?” the answer was that we only gave him 1 year when we drafted him?

Secondly, what happens if a F/S nominates 2 clubs, gets bid on by a 3rd and both clubs decide to match the bid? lol.

2 things:

I didn’t think 2 years were mandatory for all NDs anymore? I swear we signed Brown for an extra year this pre-season then when people asked “why tf would we do that 2 mths and 0 games after drafting him if we have him for 2 years guaranteed anyway?” the answer was that we only gave him 1 year when we drafted him?

Secondly, what happens if a F/S nominates 2 clubs, gets bid on by a 3rd and both clubs decide to match the bid? lol.

So, yeah, for players over 23 you don’t have to give 2 year contract. On the second, I’ll clear up the answer, but basically when the kid nominates two clubs, they nominate a priority on them. So the team they nominated as their #1 choice would get the option to match, then if they didn’t, the number 2 would get the chance, and if they didn’t then the bidding team would get the player.

Sigh, you spend months repeatedly saying that they’re not delisted free agents and they’ll have to go through the draft, then the AFL just changes their minds. Welcome to Essendon Matt Dea I guess.

Can you summarize the summary please, I'm too lazy to read the summary!

Summary summary: anything that seems fair to a club is probably against the rules and any loophole that doesn’t benefit at least one team with Sydney in their name won’t be allowed.

I never new this was how it was spelt… Hawsydneythorn

Can you summarize the summary please, I'm too lazy to read the summary!

Summary summary: anything that seems fair to a club is probably against the rules and any loophole that doesn’t benefit at least one team with Sydney in their name won’t be allowed.

I never new this was how it was spelt… Hawsydneythorn

PS: Great summary Split Round will you prepare a Power Point presentation for the AFL powerbrokers so they can understand it please!

Will the AFL threaten to change the rules at the last minute?
Well, der… of course they will.

Great work. Some suggestions/corrections:
  • Clubs do have to draft three players. The period where a rookie promotion counted was a temporary measure due to the introduction of the expansion clubs. So you do need to draft three players from either the ND or PSD.
  • Probably should add in that we currently have a "spare" senior spot, which allows us to take an extra rookie. If you're really keen, you could then explain nominated rookies...
  • Explain that rookie promotion during the year isn't permanent.
  • On AFL players nominating for the draft, you might want to point out that a team has to match the overall requirements of the contract, not necessarily the year to year components. So no front-loading/back loading to get to a particular club.
  • Add Father/Son rules
  • Add the timetable of events for the post-season (trade period, nomination dates, etc.). I'd steal this from Big Footy myself...

Did they change the rookie promotion thing this year, because as of last year rookie elevations still counted towards the minimum three selections. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-24/indicative-draft-order-your-clubs-provisional-picks-as-trade-period-unfolds

I currently haven’t included a lot of that in season rookie elevation stuff, but you’re right that it’s worth including.

Hmm, maybe I’m wrong. I honestly can’t remember where I saw it and would have to check.
tl;dr (initially) but Dea etc don't need to explicitly apply to be in the National Draft - because they are recent cuts (three years) they are automatically included. So they can "stealth" apply to join us.
Doesn't matter anymore in reference to Dea but this is completely incorrect. Draft nominations do last 3 years, but that only applies to players that aren't drafted, if you are drafted and then delisted within that period you still need to re-nominate for the draft (assuming you're not picked up as a delisted player).

Superb work @SplitRound - Just clearing up a few things:

So any player we take in the national draft gets a 2 year contract? Almost. Players over 23 can be offered a 1 year contract, but everyone else gets a 2 year contract with terms defined by the AFL CBA (match payments, bonuses for high draft picks and so on).
Almost there, a couple of things it is a 2 year minimum rather than an absolute 2 years (Sydney used to hand all their draftees 3 years, still do for 1st rounders - and Joe Dan hasn't publicly re-signed since being drafted, he isn't out of contract this season and 2017 would be 5 years). The other thing you've left out is clubs can also opt to offer 1 year contracts to anybody previously drafted onto an AFL list (senior or rookie).
Just in regards to Rookie B's, it was mentioned in the recent article about Conor McKenna that St Kilda have just signed 2 Irishmen. How can do this if clubs are only supposed to be allowed 1?

essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-08-19/mckenna-making-his-mark

You can sign one onto the category B rookie list, any others have to go onto the regular rookie list. I’ll make that clearer. I believe what happened is the GAA complained about the AFL taking all the good young Irish players, and maybe even threatened to pull out of the international rules (ooh, scary). The AFL decided to compromise with the “only one rookie B Irish player” rule.

The opposite actually, the GAA was threatened by the AFL raiding all their young talent so for many years all Irish rookies taken had to fill a normal spot (what we’d now call category A), it has only been in the last 4-5 years that the GAA have softened their stance to allow clubs to take 1 Irish rookie as category B.
Superb work @SplitRound - Just clearing up a few things:
So any player we take in the national draft gets a 2 year contract? Almost. Players over 23 can be offered a 1 year contract, but everyone else gets a 2 year contract with terms defined by the AFL CBA (match payments, bonuses for high draft picks and so on).
Almost there, a couple of things it is a 2 year minimum rather than an absolute 2 years (Sydney used to hand all their draftees 3 years, still do for 1st rounders - and Joe Dan hasn't publicly re-signed since being drafted, he isn't out of contract this season and 2017 would be 5 years). The other thing you've left out is clubs can also opt to offer 1 year contracts to anybody previously drafted onto an AFL list (senior or rookie).
Just in regards to Rookie B's, it was mentioned in the recent article about Conor McKenna that St Kilda have just signed 2 Irishmen. How can do this if clubs are only supposed to be allowed 1?

essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-08-19/mckenna-making-his-mark

You can sign one onto the category B rookie list, any others have to go onto the regular rookie list. I’ll make that clearer. I believe what happened is the GAA complained about the AFL taking all the good young Irish players, and maybe even threatened to pull out of the international rules (ooh, scary). The AFL decided to compromise with the “only one rookie B Irish player” rule.

The opposite actually, the GAA was threatened by the AFL raiding all their young talent so for many years all Irish rookies taken had to fill a normal spot (what we’d now call category A), it has only been in the last 4-5 years that the GAA have softened their stance to allow clubs to take 1 Irish rookie as category B.

Didn’t know that about the GAA thing. I’ve updated the contract answer, thanks.

tl;dr (initially) but Dea etc don't need to explicitly apply to be in the National Draft - because they are recent cuts (three years) they are automatically included. So they can "stealth" apply to join us.
Doesn't matter anymore in reference to Dea but this is completely incorrect. Draft nominations do last 3 years, but that only applies to players that aren't drafted, if you are drafted and then delisted within that period you still need to re-nominate for the draft (assuming you're not picked up as a delisted player).

Dang it, I was right the first time. I’ll fix that up.

Sigh, you spend months repeatedly saying that they're not delisted free agents and they'll have to go through the draft, then the AFL just changes their minds. Welcome to Essendon Matt Dea I guess.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-24/afl-set-to-soften-rules-around-bombers-topups

The AFL decision change today is probably because they read this thread and wanted to find fault.

It’s just a good thing Dunlop didn’t post earlier and point out the errors for them!

Having just been in the Patton thread, can you add something along the lines of “if a player is in a team’s best 22 and played virtually every game, they’re in the top 4 on the ladder, he’s contracted, and he has shown no signs of wanting to leave, then he will cost a hell of a lot compared to his “true” value.”? I think we need it said.

Great thread Splitround. Thanks.

Thank you so much. I always avoided thinking too much about the draft becasue it was too complicated. Having just read this excellent post I now understand most of it. Well enough to understand what we are going to be doing anyway.
Great stuff.

Added a brief Blitz specific addendum.