Baby's First Trade and Draft Period 2017 Edition

Added a brief Blitz specific addendum.

The addendum has improved the OP. I approve.

Added some extra info near the top about priority picks.

Added a brief Blitz specific addendum.

BOOOOOOOOO

Way to ruin my fun.

what i dont understand is… why do the AFL give out Free Agency compo picks before the end of Free Agency period?

They weigh up the net result of Free Agency in determining if a club gets a compo pick… yet they give out picks before free agents are finished being signed

for example, they gave Freo pick 23 for Mayne… what if (after receiving the pick) they went on and signed a free agent from another club on the same contract that mayne was on. Shouldn’t this mean they don’t get FA compo pick, yet they have already received one?

As I understand it the AFL basically ask the team at the time of handing out compensation whether they’re going to target any of the available free agents. I imagine in the Mayne case that if Fremantle subsequently went after a free agent they would have their compensation pick removed. If they’d already traded it out, the AFL would probably just block the move.

While some free agent acquisitions come as a surprise to the public, I think most of them are sorted out long before the trade period begins.

Actually FA should he done before the start of Trade Week. This makes more sense.

The idea is clubs don’t know their needs/who they will get until partway through. So they need the flexibility.

I didn’t realise that you can go into a point deficit

So a bid comes in a third round you don’t have enough points your third rounder next year moves down the points you are short this year

No, your first pick moves down I believe.

No, your first pick moves down I believe.

Due to the AFL’s ‘make stuff up as we go along’ clause, 11kgm is correct. From the AFL site:

The AFL added a safeguard to its complex system last year to protect the future first-round picks of clubs who want to take a father-son or academy player late in the draft.

It means that a club will not risk pushing back its first pick in the following year’s draft if it goes into a points debt by choosing a later-round selection.

Instead, any points incurred for later round players can be repaid in the round the bid is received. A first-round draft position would only be altered if a bid came in the previous year’s first round, which seems unlikely for the Collingwood pair.

This means that if the Pies go into deficit by matching an early third-round bid for Daicos, then their third-round pick next year would be shuffled down the order to make up the leftover points.

Thanks for that and sorry 11kgm, I wasn’t aware they’d changed it.

Thanks for that and sorry 11kgm, I wasn't aware they'd changed it.
Neither was i thought i would throw it in here, so theortically GWS could still pick up all players

Changed the answer about the minimum number of draft picks to be correct, and added links at the bottom to the full rules PDFs as found on the AFL site for people who like things numbered 1.4.4(a)(iii)

1 Like

Splitround, I’ve got a question…your opening post has the following dates:

Tuesday November 1 - delisted player free agency period (1) begins
Tuesday November 8 - delisted player free agency period (1) closes
Thursday November 10 - delisted player free agency period (2) begins
Friday November 18 - delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Any idea why they bother stopping on the 8th and restarting on the 10th? Why don’t they just have one delisted free agent period?

I think it’s because there’s a list lodgement date on the 9th, so there’s a second delisted free agency period after that list lodgement. Just quietly, I reckon they could do it as one DFA period without anyone being inconvenienced.

1 Like

Thanks!

Why do they have the delisted player free agency period (1) close today and then delisted player free agency period (2) start again on Thursday? - a gap on 1 day.

What happens on Wednesday that is so important?

Why do they have the delisted player free agency period (1) close today and then delisted player free agency period (2) start again on Thursday? - a gap on 1 day.

What happens on Wednesday that is so important?

To quote myself two posts up:

I think it's because there's a list lodgement date on the 9th, so there's a second delisted free agency period after that list lodgement. Just quietly, I reckon they could do it as one DFA period without anyone being inconvenienced.
1 Like

Sorry. I didn’t see that other post and reply. Actually I didn’t look. Thanks.

What time on friday is the draft and what TV channel has coverage? I’ve just looked through the foxtel guide and can’t find it on fox footy on friday.