Bacon causes Cancer ... Wut?

Reckon you are probably right Bix.

that’s just me justifying my favourite food though.

correct me if I am wrong, but even if you don't have any processed meats you have about 5% chance of contracting bowel cancer - if you smash 70-90 grams a day then you are up around 7% and most people fall in that 2% range. The media didn't bother to report the absolute numbers, just the 18% and the "same group as smoking and diesel" bit.

On top of that, red meat only fell in the “probably” category by WHO which I guess suggests it couldn’t pass a statistical test of some sort.

I reckon you have bigger problems to worry about than cutting out all bacon and steak. Maybe it does only really apply to weight lifters etc who are in that top 2.5%. Just me though.

I just did the math and I’m at 3.4kg of meat (bacon, mince and steak) a week
What are my % lol?

Also, I personally believe cancer figures are skewed by old people
If it was 20-40 year olds dropping like flies I might be mildly concerned
But if a bunch of 80 year olds are dying from a particular cancer I would not be concerning about it myself in the slightest

correct me if I am wrong, but even if you don't have any processed meats you have about 5% chance of contracting bowel cancer - if you smash 70-90 grams a day then you are up around 7% and most people fall in that 2% range. The media didn't bother to report the absolute numbers, just the 18% and the "same group as smoking and diesel" bit.

On top of that, red meat only fell in the “probably” category by WHO which I guess suggests it couldn’t pass a statistical test of some sort.

I reckon you have bigger problems to worry about than cutting out all bacon and steak. Maybe it does only really apply to weight lifters etc who are in that top 2.5%. Just me though.

I just did the math and I’m at 3.4kg of meat (bacon, mince and steak) a week
What are my % lol?

Also, I personally believe cancer figures are skewed by old people
If it was 20-40 year olds dropping like flies I might be mildly concerned
But if a bunch of 80 year olds are dying from a particular cancer I would not be concerning about it myself in the slightest

g/day % chance
0 5.5
50 6.5
100 7.7
150 9.0
200 10.7
250 12.6
300 14.8
350 17.5
400 20.7
450 24.4
500 28.8

I think you’re an end member.

The actual reports don’t suggest that at all.

It’s more don’t have red/processed meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

None of it is new either, I’ve had bowel troubles for a few years and I’ve been recommended the same

The actual reports don’t suggest that at all.

It’s more don’t have red/processed meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

None of it is new either, I’ve had bowel troubles for a few years and I’ve been recommended the same

I know they don’t! there wasn’t actually sensationalist in the WHO ann.

That’s what I’ve been saying Bix!!!

Will someone listen to the dietitian, please?

Some Australian academics respond…

That's what I've been saying Bix!!!

I know! I wasn’t disagreeing with anyone!!

Went to the butcher today and bought bacon for breakfast tomorrow.

I get mine from Stuart Brother’s Butchery, in my local town. It’s a small place that smoke all their own produce and they buy all the beef, pork, etc locally from the Northern Rivers region. As it is 1/2 hour drive in to town I buy it in 2 kg lots and then I cut the rind off and wrap it up in 2 rasher lots with a bit of plastic wrap and freeze them. Then when you want some for brekky (or any time really) you just pull it out and unwrap it and let it defrost, or pop it in the microwave on defrost mode for a min or so. Lasts longer than keeping it in the fridge.

Mmmm, bacon.

Smoking all your own produce is no way to make a profit!

Haha, but it is a great way to determine if your produce is any good or not…

Seriously, eat too much sugar, get fat diabeties and you die. Eat too much macca’s same thing. Drink too much ■■■■, destroy your liver and die.
Only eat lettuce, become anno and die.

Live fast. Die fun.

Eat bacon.

Seriously, eat too much sugar, get fat diabeties and you die. Eat too much macca's same thing. Drink too much ■■■■, destroy your liver and die. Only eat lettuce, become anno and die.
Live for too many consecutive years and you'll die.

Can’t win.

Seriously, this is out of control.
Poor ■■■■■■ Kevin get’s blamed for everything.

Seriously, eat too much sugar, get fat diabeties and you die. Eat too much macca's same thing. Drink too much ■■■■, destroy your liver and die. Only eat lettuce, become anno and die.

Can’t win.

Be born, and you’ll die. Leading cause of death is birth.

It does seem that bacon is linked to just about everything.

i havent bothered to read this.

but whats the gist. is smoked meats, red meat or something about nitrates.

I smoked meat once,

Made me cough like a mother trucker

Can’t win.

Be born, and you’ll die. Leading cause of death is birth.

Leading cause of death is breathing.