Bacon causes Cancer ... Wut?

I would suggest that anyone that doesn't snap one off at least daily should be worried about the possibility of contracting bowel cancer.
I get scared when I hear three days between poos is in the “normal” range. How many flushes does it take to get rid of all of that?

We have a rule that anything over 9 pound needs to be hand lowered, flushes are unlimited.

The story has appeared in several news outlets but they all fail to mention the salient fact that it is the chemicals used, particularly sodium nitrate(s) that is the problem. There is nothing wrong with a quality sausage made from quality products. We get our bacon from a local butcher who smokes it himself, with Jarrah. If you read the label on most blister pack bacon, you will find the words "made from local and imported ingredients". Even the stuff they sell in the deli section of the supermarket comes from bulk packs, also likely to be Canadian pork or Lithuanian or who knows where. Clean meat grown locally, eaten in moderation, will not do any harm to most people.

Actually red meat itself increases bowel cancer risk. Recommended to have no more than 450g a week.

Yes, that’s apparently the case, but if you eat red meat moderately, then you should be OK. There are plenty of people that eat lots of meat and not much roughage who I would suggest are the ones that will be looking at bowel problems. A diet of plenty of variety of whole foods is the way to go. That half kilo quoted is a generalisation, as we all metabolise at different rates. Just as I would reach .05 a fair bit later than the missus who is forty kilos lighter. I would suggest that anyone that doesn’t snap one off at least daily should be worried about the possibility of contracting bowel cancer. Roughage and more roughage is definitely the go.

Moderation? No ■■■■. I said the guidelines are NO MORE than 450g it’s obviously different for different people. And the studies that show the increased risk allow for fibr intake (which is obviously protective of bowel cancer).

Ugh daa.asn.au/for-the-media/hot-topics-in-nutrition/meat-and-cancer/ will explain it better than I can.

I hate the basic lack of science literacy in this world. At school we’re taught to analyse books and articles in English but never in Science.

Ok.

What’s a ‘magician’s hanky’?

In other news, matter and energy cause cancer. Atoms, protons, electrons and quarks all cause cancer. Photons cause cancer. Cancer causes cancer.

And here’s one for Patrick Ryder: http://www.momnewsdaily.com/10-foods-you-didnt-know-were-harming-your-unborn-baby/

“34,000 cancer deaths a year worldwide were attributable to diets high in processed meats”

is it just me or does that sound like a minuscule amount?

The story has appeared in several news outlets but they all fail to mention the salient fact that it is the chemicals used, particularly sodium nitrate(s) that is the problem. There is nothing wrong with a quality sausage made from quality products. We get our bacon from a local butcher who smokes it himself, with Jarrah. If you read the label on most blister pack bacon, you will find the words "made from local and imported ingredients". Even the stuff they sell in the deli section of the supermarket comes from bulk packs, also likely to be Canadian pork or Lithuanian or who knows where. Clean meat grown locally, eaten in moderation, will not do any harm to most people.

Finding it hard to find a pig here in Dubai…

Finding it hard to find a pig here in Dubai…

To be honest, I’d rather take the minuscule risk of a potential cancer from the sodium nitrate than risk catching botulism (pretty sure that botulus is roman for sausage, hence how it got its name) which is what it is added to prevent.

Went to the butcher today and bought bacon for breakfast tomorrow.

I get mine from Stuart Brother’s Butchery, in my local town. It’s a small place that smoke all their own produce and they buy all the beef, pork, etc locally from the Northern Rivers region. As it is 1/2 hour drive in to town I buy it in 2 kg lots and then I cut the rind off and wrap it up in 2 rasher lots with a bit of plastic wrap and freeze them. Then when you want some for brekky (or any time really) you just pull it out and unwrap it and let it defrost, or pop it in the microwave on defrost mode for a min or so. Lasts longer than keeping it in the fridge.

Mmmm, bacon.

I hate the basic lack of science literacy in this world.
An extension of this is the poor quality of science reporting in journalism. Muddies the waters so much with regards to understanding research and outcomes.

BACON IS GOING TO KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. MORE AT 6.

"34,000 cancer deaths a year worldwide were attributable to diets high in processed meats"

is it just me or does that sound like a minuscule amount?

Maybe, but bowel cancer is the second most common cancer in Australia
:slight_smile:
An extension of this is the poor quality of science reporting in journalism. Muddies the waters so much with regards to understanding research and outcomes.

It’s more the kneejerk denial of science that so many groups, like anti-vaxers, some religions and the US Republicans, pursue. My personal opinion is that they should all be put down.

Which in turn produces responses of ‘stupid scientists’

No one would care about articles, news headlines that said “Limit bacon consumption to minimise exposure to bowel cancer”

No one would care about articles, news headlines that said "Limit bacon consumption to minimise exposure to bowel cancer"
And hence the problem with news. They care more about clicks than content

I get mine from Stuart Brother’s Butchery, in my local town. It’s a small place that smoke all their own produce and they buy all the beef, pork, etc locally from the Northern Rivers region. As it is 1/2 hour drive in to town I buy it in 2 kg lots and then I cut the rind off and wrap it up in 2 rasher lots with a bit of plastic wrap and freeze them. Then when you want some for brekky (or any time really) you just pull it out and unwrap it and let it defrost, or pop it in the microwave on defrost mode for a min or so. Lasts longer than keeping it in the fridge.

Mmmm, bacon.

Smoking all your own produce is no way to make a profit!

Vaping Sausages May Be Safer, Word Health Organisation SaysBy The Shovel on October 27, 2015
sausage cancer
Electronic sausages and bacon may assist in the process of quitting, the World Health Organisation said today.

The news provides some relief for sausage and bacon users, following news their habit may cause cancer. “You’re going to see more and more people enjoying an e-bacon on a Sunday morning,” a spokesperson said.

But the transition will be hard for some. Butcher John Bridgestone said he had smoked sausages for thirty years. “I’d probably do 30-40 a day, sometimes more”.

WHO says even social bacon users could be at risk. “There’s also evidence that just being around bacon eaters could be painful,” the spokesperson said.

The Australian Government is now considering mandatory plain packaging for cured meat products.

Mmmm, bacon.

Smoking all your own produce is no way to make a profit!

It’s a big problem on all the plantations in California lol

If we had more guns we’d be safe from said bacon!

correct me if I am wrong, but even if you don’t have any processed meats you have about 5% chance of contracting bowel cancer - if you smash 70-90 grams a day then you are up around 7% and most people fall in that 2% range. The media didn’t bother to report the absolute numbers, just the 18% and the “same group as smoking and diesel” bit.

On top of that, red meat only fell in the “probably” category by WHO which I guess suggests it couldn’t pass a statistical test of some sort.

I reckon you have bigger problems to worry about than cutting out all bacon and steak. Maybe it does only really apply to weight lifters etc who are in that top 2.5%. Just me though.